Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Bilstein 5100/ OME coil question

Old 08-25-2010, 09:35 AM   #1
HusqyRider is a splendid one to beholdHusqyRider is a splendid one to beholdHusqyRider is a splendid one to beholdHusqyRider is a splendid one to beholdHusqyRider is a splendid one to beholdHusqyRider is a splendid one to beholdHusqyRider is a splendid one to behold
Name: Adam
HusqyRider's Tacoma Gallery
Bilstein 5100/ OME coil question

I have an 01 double cab 2wd prerunner that I want to level or bump an inch or so in the front. I have been told that 5100s with 880 coils will accomplish this. Is this correct? Anyone with 5100s and 880/881s that can chime in? How's the ride? I'll do some offroading, but nothing insane.

TIA
Old 08-25-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
The average lift from a 880 is 1.25-1.5"
A 881 will bring around 1.75-2"
You may want to stick with the OME90004 shock upfront as it is desinged to be used with the OME coils and will give you a "sportier" ride. Plus you may have to wait for the Billy's as they go on backorder at a regular basis.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
That sounds correct for "about an inch or so."

I have an Xcab with 881s and Bilstein 5100s set on zero.

This rides great. It is roughly a 2-inch lift, which leveled with the rear, which just got lifted 1.5.

Note, however, that I have the 5100s set at zero lift.

5100s were designed specifically to work with leveling (preloading) the stock progressive coils, which are a 375-lb rated spring.

The OMEs are a non-progressive 500-lb spring. You really don't want to preload these for additional lift; it is the spring's height that provides the lift.

So why did I use 5100s? I orignally thought I could just use the Billies to level, but realized I would need to max them out at the top setting, which would make the ride harsher. So I already had them in hand when I figured out I should just get new coils, too. The 5100s are a perfectly good shock in this application and work well set at zero lift with the 881s.

Ideally, you could pair the OME Nitrocharger shocks with the 881s, beacause they are specifically designed for that application. I have no personal experience with that setup as a comparison, but it is popular. However, the Nitrochargers seem to be more expensive than 5100s. And, to further complicate things, front 5100s are increasingly difficult to get because demand is outstripping production.

Back to your truck: the only difference between 880s and 881s is 10 mm of height. You have a 2wd DC...what engine? V6? The weight matters. Also, do you have any bullbar/winch stuff hanging off the front? This is a factor too. Dan at Wheeler's Offroad has a lot of experience advising folks on this. You may want to PM him or give him a call to discuss.

Good luck. This was totally baffling to me until I did a ton of homework.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:00 AM   #4
HusqyRider is a splendid one to beholdHusqyRider is a splendid one to beholdHusqyRider is a splendid one to beholdHusqyRider is a splendid one to beholdHusqyRider is a splendid one to beholdHusqyRider is a splendid one to beholdHusqyRider is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the reply. I already have the coils and 5100s...i'm just having second thoughts. I've thought about returning all of it and just getting toytec or all-pro COs up front...or treturning the 5100 and getting OME fronts shocks to go with the coils...In any case, I want the best ride possible, and I find the stock setup too soft/bouncy...
Old 08-25-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
it is a V6 btw, no other mods, but may get sliders in the future.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:04 AM   #6
thanks scocar, that is quite helpful
Old 08-25-2010, 10:08 AM   #7
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyRider View Post
Thanks for the reply. I already have the coils and 5100s...i'm just having second thoughts. I've thought about returning all of it and just getting toytec or all-pro COs up front...or treturning the 5100 and getting OME fronts shocks to go with the coils...In any case, I want the best ride possible, and I find the stock setup too soft/bouncy...
No prob.

Yes, the stock ride was ridiculously bouncy and soft for me (at 101K miles). The new setup is solid, yet comfortable. Handling is vastly improved. I just finished about 600 miles of trans-Sierra roadtrip on all kinds of roads and speeds. I am VERY happy with the setup.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:27 AM   #8
ilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant future

ilove_taco_ma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyRider View Post
if i were you, i just keep it. it will be a hassle to do all shipping and calls back and forth. so far for the OME shocks, they are expensive. I cancel the OME struts so that i can use that extra $$$ for and bought the 5100 instead. money is tight nowadays
Old 09-01-2010, 12:20 AM   #9
If I were to get a wheelers 5 leaf pack in the future, could I simply pop the billies to 1.25 (or 1) with the 880s and be level-ish with a decent ride?

thanks for the feedback
Old 09-01-2010, 12:50 AM   #10
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
I run the ome 881's with a .5 spacer and factory tokico shocks. It gives me just under 2.8 inches of lift with my all pro bumper. Before I put the bumper on it rode a tad harsh, especially over speed bumps. I plan on adding a smittybuilt xrc8 winch and new factory shocks.
With my toytec aal's and pro comp shocks in the rear, it sits perfectly level.
I'm 200 lbs and can stand on the all pro bumper and it barely dips .5 so I think a 60 lb winch isn't going to hurt it any.
Personally I think having 881's or 882's and billies up front is kinda a waste of money since your already getting the neccisary lift from the spring itself.
I would go with the 881's and maybe a rancho 5000 shock.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:06 PM   #11
Thanks for the input!
Old 10-08-2010, 02:39 PM   #12
YellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YellowDog01's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone know if 882s are possible on top of my Bilstein 5100s? And how much lift would they give me?