1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Where to start with 3" lift?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Dewman4, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Aug 26, 2010 at 8:33 AM
    CopDoctor

CopDoctor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 335i
    BMS Intake, JB4 chip, Plastidip everywhere
    alright "jdizzle" since you only have 47 posts and have an awesome hip name, i'm going to spare harassing you. we have done our homework, but perhaps you have not. sure some kits may include a top plate for that extra .5in or so, but it's not all spacer like . an all spacer lift will give a shit ride and will be awful off-roading and under load. the ride will not be stock because of the pre-load put on the coils and the angles will most certainly not be stock because of the 3" lift...lift = a change in angles no matter how you get the lift. everyone is entitled to their opinions, just keep it civil especially if you're a newcomer, you don't want to go looking like a fool in front of the entire TW family.

2. Aug 26, 2010 at 8:47 AM
    wilsonpj

wilsonpj Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC, SB, OR
    OME 3in Lift, LR UCA's, 33in DuraTracs, All-Pro Full Skids, TRD CAI & Cat Back, 16x8 KMC Enduros
    I'd say if from what I understand about your truck and your usage, I would recommend the 3in lift from OME, its on the Toytec site. Its about $400 cheaper, which means you can save money and get some new UCA's. The UL Kit has adjustable coils, but to me its not worth the extra money, as every time you adjust the amount of lift, your alignment changes. As for UCA's, although not necessary, I recommend the Light Racing UCA's, they are a closed ball joint and easier to maintain and help correct alignment issues. I would recommend a uniball UCA if you were into some hardcore rock crawling or fast desert racing as they have been described as having a tad more travel but for the extra cost I don't think they will be worth it in your case.

When you do lift it, the CV angles will change so a front diff drop kit would be a good idea. The OME kit comes with it and is really easy to install. You should also consider rear axle shims and/or a carrier barring drop kit. These will both help with the drive line angles for the drive shaft, and are cheap and easy to install. They have also been known to help with any vibrations some people get when lifting.

Hope this helps, feel free to PM me if you have other questions about lifts or wheels and the such.

3. Aug 26, 2010 at 8:52 AM
    newbtacoma

newbtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White Sport
    Toytec says that a 2x4 doesnt need a diff drop kit - whats the difference between the 2x4 and 4x4 when it comes to needing a diff drop kit?

4. Aug 26, 2010 at 9:20 AM
    CopDoctor

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 335i
    diff drop is for the front diff, you don't have a front diff if you have a 2x4.

5. Aug 26, 2010 at 9:23 AM
    JasoTaco

JasoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
    2X4 doesn't have a front diff to drop.

6. Aug 26, 2010 at 9:46 AM
    wilsonpj

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC, SB, OR
    OME 3in Lift, LR UCA's, 33in DuraTracs, All-Pro Full Skids, TRD CAI & Cat Back, 16x8 KMC Enduros
    ^x3

You could use a carrier barring drop or axle shims however...but not necessary

7. Aug 26, 2010 at 10:04 AM
    BassMaster06

BassMaster06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab V6 4x4
    Mods: sand, dog hair, roof rust
    Why does nobody suggest the OME complete kit for $699?

8. Aug 26, 2010 at 10:50 AM
    newbtacoma

newbtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White Sport
    I am looking at the ultimate kit over the OME kit for a couple of reasons...

1. The ultimate kit comes with coils preassembeled which means I am not going to have to rent a spring compressor.

2. Ultimate kit comes with new U-bolts, sway bar relocates, rear axle degree shims, and the coilovers and billies are adjustable.

Every time you adjust the length of the coilovers you have to get your truck realigned, but I cant imagine wanting to readjust after hitting 3". Ive been talking with ToyTec about what all I need to install the 3" lift without any problems and it seems like they put everything you would need in the Ultimate kit. I have read a lot of posts where people have installed the 3" lift and had weird vibrations, etc. If I am going to the trouble of lifting, I want it done right. Not to say OME isnt done right, I just have no experience lifting a truck and this kit seems right for a beginner.

Just my 2 cents.

9. Aug 26, 2010 at 11:01 AM
    JasoTaco

JasoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
    There are a ton of great lifts out there but ToyTec has one other thing going for them and that is excellent customer service.

10. Aug 26, 2010 at 11:18 AM
    wilsonpj

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC, SB, OR
    1.) You can usually "rent" a compressor from your local auto store for free, if not maybe $20-30 bucks. You could even bring your set up to them and they will help you.

2.) U-bolts are cheap and if you have the Rear TSB your bolts are long enough, shims are cheap, maybe a couple bucks, like you said you are not going to adjust them so why have them, and also, the OME kit does not need sway bar relocates because the set up does not interfere with the Sway. One less thing to worry about.

In my opinion that is not worth the extra $400 bones. But hey, its your truck, get what you want, I was set on the ULK for a long time then realized after breaking it down it was just an expensive OME kit.

Cheers

11. Aug 26, 2010 at 12:28 PM
    Dewman4

Dewman4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Haymarket, VA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Sport
    black badges, aFe intake
    I saw someone talking about a diff drop. What is a diff drop and also i have a 4x4, do I need a diff drop.

12. Aug 26, 2010 at 12:53 PM
    BassMaster06

BassMaster06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab V6 4x4
    Mods: sand, dog hair, roof rust
    Anyone else's opinion on this? I would definitely like to save $400. I am getting ready to get one or the other, and I've done a lot of research on both these kits, and have found that more ppl would reccommend the OME kit for my driving style (daily driver, occasional mud/trail/snow). To what extent of offroading can the OME kit handle?? Nothing extreme obviously, but can this thing handle a good day of trail riding?? I haven't had the TSB done, so I'm guessing if I went with the OME i'd have to get new u-bolts. And what do rear axle degree shims do?!? I'm new to this stuff so bear with me....preciate the info

13. Aug 26, 2010 at 1:00 PM
    CopDoctor

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 335i
    OME will hold up to whatever you throw at it as long as you're smart. i've wheeled very difficult and extremely rough terrain without a problem.

a diff drop lowers your front differential to save the angle of your CVs, you want don't want them at a steep angle or you'll be blowing boots left and right. you don't need it, it's just recommended if you're going up to 3".

axle shims rotate the rear axle so the driveshaft is straighter

Products Discussed in

To Top