Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Issues generated by lifts.......

Old 08-26-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
BBBsti LTD will become famous soon enough
BBBsti LTD's Tacoma Gallery
Issues generated by lifts.......

I am quite new to TW, but I have been involved in automotive forums and I donít like to ask questions commonly asked. I could not find definite answers to my lift related questions.

I have a 2010 Tacoma DC 4X4 OffRoad. I drive it mostly in the freeway and I have only done a fire road of maybe 10 miles distance twice. For now I donít want to get too much in offroading since this truck is my only vehicle and it is still brand new, but eventually in few years, I would like to do some more off-road, but never crazy stuff.

I would like to get a lift with a set of wheels and tires. I like the 3" lift look with some nice wide tires.

I researched and know what type of lift I would like to get (Toytec Ultimate).

My concern is with issues related to the lift. I remember reading of a member here having issues with his front differential after a lift and if I remember correctly, some others members had the same issue.

Is it any commonly known issued from lifting the truck the right way (with a decent kit).

I understand that the CV joint angle can be fixed with the differential drop and also know about some people getting a vibration at speed, but could any other issues happens?
Old 08-26-2010, 11:04 PM   #2
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
You pretty much nailed the 2 main concerns, CV and vibe issues are possible. A properly installed 3" is a fairly safe bet and the vibe/CV issues are cheap to fix.

The other concern is the change in ride quality. The truck won't ride the same as before... for better or worse. I've never ridden on the ultimate lift but it's real popular and seems to be good.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #3
Another Toyota Enthusiast
toyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
toyo freak's Tacoma Gallery
Yea and the other problem is there is some issue with the front diff.;I think its a bad bearing, but it will wear out sooner or later with or without lift. look into OME full 3" and just buy axle shims and carrier bearing drop seperate. Save some money unless you just want adjustability. Another idea, if you willing to spend 2K look at RCD. This drop setup will improve your ride and your CV axles will love you
Old 08-27-2010, 03:00 PM   #4
I'm Not Your F***ing Brother
Paul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Paul's TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2010 DC LB 4X4 TRD Sport with a 3" EZ Lift. I have taken it offroading and it performs good. No vibes that I feel. only difference i felt was the different tires, but nothing major. I did do the diff drop but no carrier drop and again have felt no other vibes. Seems to be working just right. I have about 2k miles on the lift and have probably doen about 60 miles of offroading.