Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Help!? Bilstein 5100

Old 08-27-2010, 09:56 PM   #1
TacomaNJ is on a distinguished road
TacomaNJ's Tacoma Gallery
Help!? Bilstein 5100

So I am trying to assemble my stock coil onto a bilstein 5100 shock set at the medium height. I am stuck because Im having trouble compressing the spring since it's off the coil, and since it the bilstein coil is setting it higher, in need to compress it more to get it on the shock and put the top plate on...
Old 08-27-2010, 09:59 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Okay... What kind of compressor do you have? I used the ones you can rent from autozone.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
So basically if anyone has a how to for a first gen or the manual pages that show the assembly that'd help...vie searched and used the dyi for the second gen, but this part is different as the shock assembly has different bushings and washers compared to second gen
Old 08-27-2010, 10:03 PM   #4
Let me snap a picture
Old 08-27-2010, 10:03 PM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Did you take it apart? It goes back the same exact way. Sorry can't really help you any more than that.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:08 PM   #6
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
SlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlurpeeBlueMetallic's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe this?
Old 08-27-2010, 10:51 PM   #7
Steve o, how much does it coat to rent the compressor, cuz they look like they can have a better grip also...Steve o whY's the arrangement of the washers and rubber pieces?
Old 08-28-2010, 12:29 AM   #8
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe its me but ya kinda seem to be all over the map with what your trying to accomplish,ok I see your adjusting. So your coils are off now? If so how'd they get that way ? Spring compressor. The autozone by my house basically let me use it for free just left a $50 deposit, assuming you have it on safely & correctly you need to crank it down somemore to move the clip up to the next groove (or whichever one your trying to do)

If your asking which sequence the shock grommett goes, pretty sure its retainer (I just call it a washer) grommett,retainer,grommett,retainer So to recap :

1-retainer
2-rubber grommet
3-retainer
4-rubber grommet
5-retainer

6- Big Nut that goes on the top of shock that HOLDS PRELOAD !!

obliviously
Old 08-28-2010, 07:10 AM   #9
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Maybe its me but ya kinda seem to be all over the map with what your trying to accomplish,ok I see your adjusting. So your coils are off now? If so how'd they get that way ? Spring compressor. The autozone by my house basically let me use it for free just left a $50 deposit, assuming you have it on safely & correctly you need to crank it down somemore to move the clip up to the next groove (or whichever one your trying to do)

If your asking which sequence the shock grommett goes, pretty sure its retainer (I just call it a washer) grommett,retainer,grommett,retainer So to recap :

1-retainer
2-rubber grommet
3-retainer
4-rubber grommet
5-retainer

6- Big Nut that goes on the top of shock that HOLDS PRELOAD !!

obliviously
this^^

heres the only pic I have of the top
Old 08-28-2010, 06:45 PM   #10
I did it! thanks for all of your help, I was having some issues with the plate that sits on the top, somehow dirt had gotten stuck to it, and then it caked a layer ion there so it wasnt sitting flush will post pics soong.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:27 PM   #12
ilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant future

ilove_taco_ma's Tacoma Gallery
sorry OP dont mean to jack your post, but when you installed the rear billys shocks. which end did you guys use for the top and botom from the 1st gen? i just installed my rear shocks and i put the black rubber on top? or does it matter which end goes?
Old 08-28-2010, 10:30 PM   #13
ilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant future

ilove_taco_ma's Tacoma Gallery
another question, im in the same boat as you are on installing the front billys with the OME 881s coils. but i'm going 0 because my truck is 4 banger. so maybe with the 881 it will give a close to 3 inch lift. did you use your oem top plate from your old struts for the billy?
Old 08-29-2010, 08:12 AM   #14
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilove_taco_ma View Post
sorry OP dont mean to jack your post, but when you installed the rear billys shocks. which end did you guys use for the top and botom from the 1st gen? i just installed my rear shocks and i put the black rubber on top? or does it matter which end goes?
I put them with the boot down so that if water/mud gets in there it can drain out and not sit on the seal between the shaft and shock body.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:46 AM   #15
For the rears I did boot up, I don't imagine I will be hitting any puddles that are that large...
Old 08-31-2010, 09:48 AM   #16
Yes, I did use my OEM top plate, however, I did need to use different bushings, the stock bushings with the bilsteins will not fit...Good luck with the 0ME 881's, Hopefully by winter, ill have myself a set of those as well
Old 08-31-2010, 10:04 AM   #17
BDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BDP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaNJ View Post
Yes, I did use my OEM top plate, however, I did need to use different bushings, the stock bushings with the bilsteins will not fit...Good luck with the 0ME 881's, Hopefully by winter, ill have myself a set of those as well
Really? I just purchased the stock bushings and washers per DSM.

They do not fit?

Thanks,

-Paul
Old 09-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #18
Sport Rally'er
96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of

96er's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDP View Post
Really? I just purchased the stock bushings and washers per DSM.

They do not fit?

Thanks,

-Paul
Sonny told me the same so I ordered the bushings from Toyota. Also, question on the front struts, the perches move up and down the body freely until the rest on the snap ring. This is correct? The perch does not get set into place before installation?