1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

**Rear Coilovers**

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by sandman427, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Aug 28, 2010 at 12:18 AM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    WAY THE HELL OUT THERE, So Cal
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    I was just curious about what kind of work and what it takes to run rear coilovers for our trucks?? Granted I will never do it... But it's something that was boggling my mind lol... Any body have some pics and insight on this..?? I have only seen it on race trucks or Crawlers and would Like to know the pros and cons of havin this setup... Good looking out...

2. Aug 28, 2010 at 12:24 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    4 linked suspension... a.k.a trailing arms, bed cage, and a lot of fab. Well anyhow it would run you about 3k for the kit plus shocks and cost of labor if you didn't do it yourself.

Pros: Absolutely bad ass and maximum suspension travel

Cons: Forget about driving your shit on the street. I mean you can but you pretty much just created a monster.

3. Aug 28, 2010 at 12:28 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
  4. Aug 28, 2010 at 12:31 AM
    amaes

amaes Cuz Stock Sucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ Built
    ICON Stage 6, RCI Skids, Blacked out
    You have to be linked in the rear with a 3 or 4 link and Trailing arms. They don't make bolt in kits for tacos so it would have to be full custom and you would also have to get a fuel cell because your gas tank is in the way. Also you would have to have a bed cage and and fully box the frame to mount everything. Also you would want to run bypasses along with them. they are not required but highly recommended. And then there are a lot of other parts needed.

51_03dc5b718b74b8adcd232ce9605e54e12a7b1c01.jpg

5. Aug 28, 2010 at 12:52 AM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
  6. Aug 28, 2010 at 12:55 AM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    btw one of the most important pros is it eliminates axle wrap and minimizes drive shaft slip to less than an inch if u set it up correctly.

7. Aug 28, 2010 at 6:54 AM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    check out this guys build on TTORA... go to page 2

8. Aug 28, 2010 at 6:56 AM
    nelson18matt

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    there was a shop that fabbed up a tacoma to run a TC long travl kit both front and rear... it was pretty interesting

can't remember their name though...

9. Aug 28, 2010 at 9:20 AM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    Links and trailing arms?? Call me newb bit what's the difference... And what do u mean by links??

10. Aug 28, 2010 at 9:21 AM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    So y don't people go with setup then?? Seems like u would be paying a mess load of money as if u were doing a "basic" rear long travel kit??

11. Aug 28, 2010 at 9:24 AM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    Just saw the links?? Do u have to be links when running coils like that... The links are the large steal rodes connecting from the diff to what it looks like to be the middle of the truck??

12. Aug 28, 2010 at 1:10 PM
    hockeypoor

hockeypoor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast of California
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue All stock Prerunner
    I must say that I was thinking about this lastnight.
    I used to race a dirt car (IMCA modified) and we could use 3 link, 4link, leaf springs or in comb of these.
    What alot of guys on a budget (me) did was to use the single main leaf spring and then attach a coilover in the stock shock location.
    The main leaf would keep the axle in place but did not have enough "spring" to hold the rear up. The single leaf was so soft the axle movement was free and the coilovers controled all the "action".

Personally I have been thinking about a long arm z-link rear susp link sprint cars use.

I think the side to sdie movement is the problem.

13. Aug 28, 2010 at 1:24 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    right on... when u mean side to side... is that more so that the truck is more prone to rollover..???

14. Aug 28, 2010 at 4:35 PM
    hockeypoor

hockeypoor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast of California
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue All stock Prerunner

I dont think that they would be anymore prone to roll with coil overs.

The side to side action with a leaf truck is controlled by the leaf springs not allowing the axle to move from side to side.
    On a Link rear susp truck I believe the side to side action is controlled by a panhard rod. This goes from the frame down to the axle and keeps everything where it sould be. The problem is that with long Travel the Panhard rod will push the rear end over as it archs through its travel.

15. Aug 28, 2010 at 6:24 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    Gotchya... When is pushes the rear end over and arches through the travel does that mean that there is to much travel being given,?? Thanks for the insight bud

16. Aug 28, 2010 at 8:57 PM
    zero4

zero4 Metal Cutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    SFV, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' DCab 3.4L TRD
    Donahoe CO, Donahoe Rear Resi, Deaver J59, 16" Pro Comp, 33" BFG AT, Hayden Trans Oil Cooler, Oil Filter Relocator, FM 40, ES Bushings, Beefed CB Drop, Deckplate, K&N Drop-In, DO Bed Bar, Cobra 75 WXST, Firestik Firefly, Philips D1R, Clarion Remote Start, Husky Liners
    Dude, that's sick! One day I want to hit Pismo with LT & paddles!

17. Aug 28, 2010 at 8:58 PM
    nelson18matt

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    yeah, that truck has good times written all over it

18. Aug 29, 2010 at 12:32 AM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    that is fuckin sick... and some series fab work too...

19. Aug 29, 2010 at 9:53 AM
    zombiekiller

zombiekiller Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dela-where?
    Vehicle:
    '10 doublecab trd
    you don't necessarily need a panhard. It all depends on what you are going for. a triangulated 4 link will do the job if done properly. a panhard may limit articulation and bind. Depending on the amount of travel desired and weight considerations, a 3 link may be more desirable. If you are racing, a 3 link with a quick change rearend may be what you're looking for.

a 1/4 elliptical leaf setup or a buggy leaf setup with airbumps and links would probably be far less expensive than going full on coilover and would be far less fab work. the links would also negate potential axlewrap from the leafs.

20. Aug 29, 2010 at 10:59 AM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    do u have more details on the 1/4 elliptical leaf setup or a buggy leaf setup with airbumps??

Products Discussed in

To Top