Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

**Rear Coilovers**

Old 08-28-2010, 01:18 AM   #1
KR FAB
sandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Amir
sandman427's Tacoma Gallery
**Rear Coilovers**

I was just curious about what kind of work and what it takes to run rear coilovers for our trucks?? Granted I will never do it... But it's something that was boggling my mind lol... Any body have some pics and insight on this..?? I have only seen it on race trucks or Crawlers and would Like to know the pros and cons of havin this setup... Good looking out...
Old 08-28-2010, 01:31 AM   #4
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
You have to be linked in the rear with a 3 or 4 link and Trailing arms. They don't make bolt in kits for tacos so it would have to be full custom and you would also have to get a fuel cell because your gas tank is in the way. Also you would have to have a bed cage and and fully box the frame to mount everything. Also you would want to run bypasses along with them. they are not required but highly recommended. And then there are a lot of other parts needed.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:52 AM   #5
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
you will need to cut into your cab for sure, but it will handle very well off road. if you wish to be very involved into desert racing and dont mind cutting hard into your truck, go for it:
http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/part...ies/122375.htm
Old 08-28-2010, 01:55 AM   #6
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
btw one of the most important pros is it eliminates axle wrap and minimizes drive shaft slip to less than an inch if u set it up correctly.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:54 AM   #7
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
check out this guys build on TTORA... go to page 2

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112125
Old 08-28-2010, 07:56 AM   #8
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

there was a shop that fabbed up a tacoma to run a TC long travl kit both front and rear... it was pretty interesting

can't remember their name though...
Old 08-28-2010, 10:20 AM   #9
KR FAB
sandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaes View Post
You have to be linked in the rear with a 3 or 4 link and Trailing arms. They don't make bolt in kits for tacos so it would have to be full custom and you would also have to get a fuel cell because your gas tank is in the way. Also you would have to have a bed cage and and fully box the frame to mount everything. Also you would want to run bypasses along with them. they are not required but highly recommended. And then there are a lot of other parts needed.

Links and trailing arms?? Call me newb bit what's the difference... And what do u mean by links??
Old 08-28-2010, 10:21 AM   #10
KR FAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
btw one of the most important pros is it eliminates axle wrap and minimizes drive shaft slip to less than an inch if u set it up correctly.
So y don't people go with setup then?? Seems like u would be paying a mess load of money as if u were doing a "basic" rear long travel kit??
Old 08-28-2010, 02:10 PM   #12
hockeypoor will become famous soon enough
hockeypoor's Tacoma Gallery
I must say that I was thinking about this lastnight.
I used to race a dirt car (IMCA modified) and we could use 3 link, 4link, leaf springs or in comb of these.
What alot of guys on a budget (me) did was to use the single main leaf spring and then attach a coilover in the stock shock location.
The main leaf would keep the axle in place but did not have enough "spring" to hold the rear up. The single leaf was so soft the axle movement was free and the coilovers controled all the "action".

Personally I have been thinking about a long arm z-link rear susp link sprint cars use.

I think the side to sdie movement is the problem.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:24 PM   #13
KR FAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeypoor View Post
I must say that I was thinking about this lastnight.
I used to race a dirt car (IMCA modified) and we could use 3 link, 4link, leaf springs or in comb of these.
What alot of guys on a budget (me) did was to use the single main leaf spring and then attach a coilover in the stock shock location.
The main leaf would keep the axle in place but did not have enough "spring" to hold the rear up. The single leaf was so soft the axle movement was free and the coilovers controled all the "action".

Personally I have been thinking about a long arm z-link rear susp link sprint cars use.

I think the side to sdie movement is the problem.
right on... when u mean side to side... is that more so that the truck is more prone to rollover..???
Old 08-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #14
hockeypoor will become famous soon enough
hockeypoor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman427 View Post
right on... when u mean side to side... is that more so that the truck is more prone to rollover..???

I dont think that they would be anymore prone to roll with coil overs.

The side to side action with a leaf truck is controlled by the leaf springs not allowing the axle to move from side to side.
On a Link rear susp truck I believe the side to side action is controlled by a panhard rod. This goes from the frame down to the axle and keeps everything where it sould be. The problem is that with long Travel the Panhard rod will push the rear end over as it archs through its travel.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:24 PM   #15
KR FAB

Quote:

The side to side action with a leaf truck is controlled by the leaf springs not allowing the axle to move from side to side.
On a Link rear susp truck I believe the side to side action is controlled by a panhard rod. This goes from the frame down to the axle and keeps everything where it sould be. The problem is that with long Travel the Panhard rod will push the rear end over as it archs through its travel.
Gotchya... When is pushes the rear end over and arches through the travel does that mean that there is to much travel being given,?? Thanks for the insight bud
Old 08-28-2010, 09:57 PM   #16
Metal Cutter
zero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud of

Name: Will
zero4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post
check out this guys build on TTORA... go to page 2

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112125
Dude, that's sick! One day I want to hit Pismo with LT & paddles!
Old 08-28-2010, 09:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero4 View Post
Dude, that's sick! One day I want to hit Pismo with LT & paddles!
yeah, that truck has good times written all over it
Old 08-29-2010, 10:53 AM   #19
zombiekiller is on a distinguished road
zombiekiller's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

you don't necessarily need a panhard. It all depends on what you are going for. a triangulated 4 link will do the job if done properly. a panhard may limit articulation and bind. Depending on the amount of travel desired and weight considerations, a 3 link may be more desirable. If you are racing, a 3 link with a quick change rearend may be what you're looking for.

a 1/4 elliptical leaf setup or a buggy leaf setup with airbumps and links would probably be far less expensive than going full on coilover and would be far less fab work. the links would also negate potential axlewrap from the leafs.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:59 AM   #20
KR FAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiekiller View Post
you don't necessarily need a panhard. It all depends on what you are going for. a triangulated 4 link will do the job if done properly. a panhard may limit articulation and bind. Depending on the amount of travel desired and weight considerations, a 3 link may be more desirable. If you are racing, a 3 link with a quick change rearend may be what you're looking for.

a 1/4 elliptical leaf setup or a buggy leaf setup with airbumps and links would probably be far less expensive than going full on coilover and would be far less fab work. the links would also negate potential axlewrap from the leafs.
do u have more details on the 1/4 elliptical leaf setup or a buggy leaf setup with airbumps??