Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Still Got Vibes!?

Old 08-28-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
bowhuntingaddict is on a distinguished road
bowhuntingaddict's Tacoma Gallery
Still Got Vibes!?

I just got bilstein 5100s set at 2.5 with a 2in aal in the back, with the diff drop kit (stock UCAs), and im running 285/75/16 bfg TA/KOs with helo wheels on a 4x4 DCLB sport. I got everything put on with alignment. There is a considerable amount of shaking in the steering wheel between 40-65mph. I got it road forced balanced at discount tire where the wheels and tires where put on, but there isn't any improvement in the vibrations.

Not sure what to do: carrier bearing drop kit, axle shims, new coilovers, get it rebalanced somewhere else, or something totally different??
Old 09-11-2010, 08:33 AM   #2
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
try carrier bearing first. i got a 2 inch aal in the back and the angle looks pretty severe on the drive shaft.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:46 PM   #3
this might be a stupid question, but im not too familiar with the parts on my truck, so what exactly is the difference between a differential drop kit and a carrier bearing drop kit?
Old 09-11-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
Heres some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Still Got Vibes!?-img_8184.jpg   Still Got Vibes!?-img_8182.jpg  
Old 09-11-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS
tacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud of

tacobox's Tacoma Gallery
A D/S spacer and axle shims is where I would start if it feels like its under the seat after you get the front balanced. Sounds like the front wheels need to be rebalanced from incorrect balancing or it could've thrown a wheel weight.

Truck looks great BTW
Old 09-12-2010, 01:34 AM   #7
sanga700 will become famous soon enoughsanga700 will become famous soon enough
sanga700's Tacoma Gallery
These tires are hard to balance . My neighbor has same tires as your and He 's still getting vibe at 65 miles . He also got 2.5" lift on his truck .

I got Handkook Dynapro ATM 265/70/17 set at 2.5" w/o any vibration any speeds at all .
Old 09-12-2010, 09:00 AM   #8
nighthawk87 will become famous soon enoughnighthawk87 will become famous soon enough
nighthawk87's Tacoma Gallery
Carier Bering is where the two drive shafts meet. It's like a u bolt/flange. Unscew it and stick a few washers inside until the vibes are gone...tadaaa or you could try raising lowering the front end if u have coilovers. If u don't have coilovers...oops. Better luck next time
Old 09-12-2010, 10:17 AM   #9
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

Name: Ant
shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntingaddict View Post
this might be a stupid question, but im not too familiar with the parts on my truck, so what exactly is the difference between a differential drop kit and a carrier bearing drop kit?
they are completely different from one another, a diff drop kit lowers the front diff usually 1''(depending on kit) and from im told isnt always to beneficial for 2nd gens. a cb drop will lower the center of your driveshaft to correct pinion angle. a toytec cb drop kit lowers it 3/8'' IIRC,but you could make one yourself very easily with some steel and hole through the center or just use washers if ya prefer.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:08 AM   #10
MAtrdguy is on a distinguished road

Army: 101st Airborne Div
Name: Pete
MAtrdguy's Tacoma Gallery
what is the max the CB can be dropped, I have the CB Drop on the truck, can I go down even more by adding some more washers ?

( still getting a vibe.) ????
Old 09-13-2010, 01:47 PM   #11
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtrdguy View Post
what is the max the CB can be dropped, I have the CB Drop on the truck, can I go down even more by adding some more washers ?

( still getting a vibe.) ????
u can only go as far down as the bolts will let you,so about an 1'' id say before theres no more threads. unless you pick up longer bolts of course. if you go down that far i wouldnt want to use washers id sooner use more steel because it would provide more stability for your ds.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:42 PM   #12
MAtrdguy is on a distinguished road

Army: 101st Airborne Div
Name: Pete
MAtrdguy's Tacoma Gallery
what effect will lowering the CB some more have ( I already have the one from Toytec on there. can I go to a full inch with longer screws ??

any detrimental effects to that ?
Old 09-13-2010, 06:11 PM   #13
Master of War

shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtrdguy View Post
what effect will lowering the CB some more have ( I already have the one from Toytec on there. can I go to a full inch with longer screws ??

any detrimental effects to that ?
i cant see why you couldnt as long as it is stable, if you do go with longer bolts make sure they are of a high grade. before i bought my 1 piece ds i had about an 1'' worth of steel under the bolts.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:40 PM   #14
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
iirc beefed tacos goes down 2 3/8 inches and uses a solid steel bracket instead of just washers and includes grade 8 hardware
Old 10-01-2010, 03:03 PM   #15
Master of War

shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
yah beef's cb drop is definitly the better way to go no doubt,not sure what the price is but it looks like it would be worth the money.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #16
Master of War

shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
to the OP heres what Beefed Taco's CB drop bracket looks like that we were talking about,drops it a total of 2 5/8''

heres what it looks like installed
Old 10-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #17
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
These two articles will explain how driveshaft alignment causes vibration, and what to do about it.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...line-101.shtml

http://www2.dana.com/pdf/J3311-1-HVTSS.PDF

Basically, you want to get your driveshaft flanges back to perfectly parallel, or a little *tiny* bit "pinion down."

One way to do this is with a little bit of carrier bearing spacing, the other is with angled rear axle shims between the leafs and the axle.

I cannot help but think that a 2.375" carrier bearing drop - which is huge - will solve the problem - rather move it from one part of the shaft to another.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #18
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
start with the easiest thing: take it back to discount and make sure they are using the correct adaptor. just being in the shop breathing down there necks and mentioning this helped me out a lot.

Then start to mess with things like carrier bearing drops and such. Carrier bearing drop for me only helped eliminate the take off vibs. Axle shims have helped alot of people for higher speed.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:42 PM   #19
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
It could also be that the tires have been "worn" in getting used to the OLD suspension angles and geometry and the tires do not like turning with the new geometry