Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Looking for some quick advice on suspension overhaul

Old 08-30-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
Sport Rally'er
96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of

96er's Tacoma Gallery
Looking for some quick advice on suspension overhaul

Ok, just wanted some quick opinions on my approach to rebuilding my suspension.

The truck: '96 Tacoma 4x4 SR5 Access Cab V6, 195k, original shocks, coils and leafs, rides like chit on anything other than smooth roads. Sits 35 1/8" from ground to fender in front, 36 1/8" in the rear, so I still have my ~1" factory rake. Sway bar bushings look like they were microwaved then put back on.

The plan: OME 881's with Nitrocharged shocks for the front, along with new rack bushings and sway bar bushings. For the rear, Wheeler's 3 leaf AAL and rear OME shocks (can't layout the $459 nut right now for the 5 leaf pack, plus I heard it squeaks like a son of a bitch). Full alignment.

Should give me a nice level ride, mild lift and much better handling, right? Should I be overly concerned with CV angles or vibration?

OR, I could do 5100's all around, front set at 1", just to level it out and I should still get a much better ride, right?
Old 08-30-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
That is a very good setup. Should like the ride much better than stock. CV angles will be fine. Only other thing to really consider, is if you take is off-road a lot, then maybe an extended rear brake line, since the new shocks will allow for more down travel.