1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Carrier Bearing Drop Kit or Axle Shims or both...

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by wilsonpj, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Aug 30, 2010 at 2:39 PM
    wilsonpj

wilsonpj [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC, SB, OR
    OME 3in Lift, LR UCA's, 33in DuraTracs, All-Pro Full Skids, TRD CAI & Cat Back, 16x8 KMC Enduros
    I'm about to install a 3in OME and some UCA's. I'm planning on the front diff drop kit but can't decide if I should install either the carrier bearing drop kit or the axle shims or both or neither....? any thoughts?

2. Aug 30, 2010 at 2:50 PM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    SWB '09 Tacoma DCSB Sport 4x4
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires, Suspension: Fox coilovers set at 2", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau, USB ports front and rear, seat heaters, birddawg mirror riser Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, vinyl armrest in doors, Clazzio black seat covers with blue stitch, Redline steering wheel wrap Lighting: fogs only mod, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights, Tacomabeast headlights and matching tails.
    Are you lifting the back at all? Both axle shims and carrier bearing drop relate to the rear end. UCA's and OME coils are on your front end. If you're not lifting the back end then you are not changing any rear driveline angles and shouldn't need either. If you are lifting the back, start with neither and see if you have any vibrations. You may not even need them. If you do have vibs, the carrier bearing drop is much easier to install and probably a safer bet anyway than shims. I have both but I have a 1.5" AAL and I left the overload leaf in so I have about 2.5" lift in back.

15TRDSport likes this.
  3. Aug 31, 2010 at 10:49 AM
    wilsonpj

wilsonpj [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC, SB, OR
    OME 3in Lift, LR UCA's, 33in DuraTracs, All-Pro Full Skids, TRD CAI & Cat Back, 16x8 KMC Enduros
    Yea I have the rear TSB and am adding another AAL.

Gonna start with nothing then see what I need if anything. Fingers crossed.

4. Aug 31, 2010 at 12:06 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    If you have a major vibration and you feel the vibrations almost immediately - as in - going 5mph or in low mph range - then I'd go with axle shims.

If you have a minor vibration that you feel in the higher mph range (40mph+ guessing), then I'd use carrier bearing drop.

5. Sep 3, 2010 at 6:01 AM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires, Suspension: Fox coilovers set at 2", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau, USB ports front and rear, seat heaters, birddawg mirror riser Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, vinyl armrest in doors, Clazzio black seat covers with blue stitch, Redline steering wheel wrap Lighting: fogs only mod, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights, Tacomabeast headlights and matching tails.
    Just curious, what is the reasoning behind this?

6. Sep 7, 2010 at 12:18 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Behind ... getting vibrations??
    If you put a lift kit on any truck, you can cause the driveline to operate at an 'un-natural' angle which can cause 'driveline vibrations'.

To save damage to your u-joints (in the driveshaft), you need to get rid of the vibrations by using axle shims, or carrier bearing drop. Axle shims come in various sizes for various degrees of vibrations.

If you read this site - it'll explain it better:
    http://www.4xshaft.com/driveline101.html

7. Sep 8, 2010 at 9:46 AM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    sorry, no. I meant why use shims if major vibs at low speeds and CBD for minor vibs at higher speeds? Don't they both accomplish the same thing (i.e. correct the driveline angle)?

8. Sep 10, 2010 at 6:39 AM
    sdheda

sdheda Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sherj
    HB, Ca
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD OR 4x4 DC
    In progress :/
    I also want to know the reason behind that. I just got my lift installed, and I am experiencing vibrations at around 5mph and at 55-70mph.

The place I got my lift installed at said that he would not recommend the axle shims since they can break or bend. As a result, I told him not to install them. I am regretting that decision now. I can install the CB drop myself (seems easy enough) but the axle shims would require removing the u-bolts and dropping the axle. Something I do not know how to do, and do not want to attempt by myself.

9. Sep 10, 2010 at 8:40 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Yes & No.
    It depends on the driveline angle itself. A driveshaft operates at an optimal angle. If you put that driveshaft above or below the optimal angle - you'll get vibrations. For example: You can lift your truck 2" and your driveshaft will be out of the optimal operating angle by a few degress. If you lift your truck 4", that driveshaft is going to be out of its optimal angle by SEVERAL degrees.

Carrier bearings are not designed to be 'dropped'. Personally, I wouldn't drop it at all but I think the max you should drop it is by 1". That MIGHT be enough to correct a minor vibration (minor degree difference).

A minor vibe won't be felt at low speeds. A major vibe will be felt at low speeds.

Axle shims come in a variety of sizes to correct a variety of degrees & extremes. The smallest shims available are 2.5 degrees and they can go upwards of 20 degrees or higher. They pitch the differtial to match to the proper driveline angles.

10. Sep 10, 2010 at 8:43 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    You can try the carrier bearing drop - which I would not drop it anymore than 1" and see if that helps. If that doesn't help....then you will need shims. If you install shims, make sure you put the carrier bearing back to its original location.

Go back to your shop and tell them you want STEAL shims. Steal shims will not bend or break. Besides that.....shims that are installed properly will not bend or break. I had 2.5degree alluminum shims in my 96 tacoma for 5 years and I even offroaded pretty hard with it. No problems at all.

11. Sep 10, 2010 at 1:33 PM
    sdheda

sdheda Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sherj
    HB, Ca
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD OR 4x4 DC
    In progress :/
    I have the OME CB drop, no idea how much they drop the CB. I will definitely try this before the shims, since it is a lot easier and I can do it myself.

I also have the shims from Toytec. I received a bent shim from them, which they replaced, but that was one of the reasons I sided with the installer and did not force him to install it.

Also the vibes that I experience at 5mph are tolerable. In fact I hardly notice them since they last for less than second when I am accelerating. Its the vibes at 55-70mph that are annoying, especially when I am on the freeway.

12. Sep 10, 2010 at 2:35 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    If you opt to drive around with vibrations for an extended period of time - will shorten the life of your u-joints.

13. Sep 15, 2014 at 8:27 PM
    indgrnd

indgrnd Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sal
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Icon stage 2 kit with coil reservoir, TRD pro wheels on Falken MT 285/70/17
    Any photos of what I needed to do please? I have no idea where is CV drop and what size shims I need. I have same issue with with vibration and today it was my unlucky day I lost my Carrier bearing :( dealer is now determining if they will cover or not :(

14. Sep 15, 2014 at 9:51 PM
    DPC08

DPC08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB
    Getting there...
    Do you mean diff drop by CV drop? It apparently doesn't do much for our trucks and that's totally different than a CB (carrier bearing) drop. CVs are in the front. CBs are in the middle and address the rear axle. The OME carrier bearing drop just adds spacers to your CB to lower it. I had it installed when I installed the new leaf pack and are 99% vibe free.

15. Sep 15, 2014 at 9:55 PM
    User Name01

User Name01 Little boy from FairyTale Land

Member:
    First Name:
    Bolbi Stroganovsky
    Wherever the next wind project is
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Barcelona Red Metallic Dbl Cab 4x4
    I did both

16. Sep 15, 2014 at 10:16 PM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    I installed a 4.5in lift (initially, it is still settling). The third member was going to put my driveline at an extreme angle so i decided to use 3 degree axle shims. Just be safe and get steel shims that use the leaf spring center pin to stay centered and secure. if you get the cheapo ones that rely on ubolt pressure alone you will get what you pay for (not in the good way).

17. Sep 15, 2014 at 10:20 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    It depends

18. Sep 13, 2017 at 7:58 PM
    ShuggieTaco

ShuggieTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma
    1.5" level front
    Back from the dead. I installed a 1" rear lift steel block today in my '11 tacoma. It drives perfectly fine, but I noticed the slightest vib/ shudder at 1st acceleration around 5 mph. It's very minimal. Should I worry with it? Is there any need to fix it?

19. Sep 19, 2017 at 12:33 PM
    tacoma guy

tacoma guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix Az.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Prerunner TRD
    Bilstein 5100's on all four corners. Front set @ 0 with OME 883x coils. Alcon leaf springs. Viper Alarm. Wet Okole seat covers. WeatherTech Floor liners front and back. Oem Toyota chrome exhaust tip. ARE Shell. America Outlaw Wheels.
    I did the same thing and I to would like to know the answer as well . I have a very slight shudder right at 5 mph . It is so slight that you really have to be looking for it or you will miss it .

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  20. Oct 5, 2017 at 2:07 PM
    ShuggieTaco

ShuggieTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma
    1.5" level front
    Carrier bearing shims didn’t work. Almost made it worse. Any suggestions?

Products Discussed in

To Top