1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leaf Springs Frowning...

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by 2007tacoOldLineSt, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Aug 31, 2010 at 1:22 AM
    2007tacoOldLineSt

2007tacoOldLineSt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So...2007 double cab, bought it used with around 12k mileage, it was a little beat up, not to bad, but I did notice the springs are frowning a bit. It seems that this is par for the course, but I havea few questions for those in the "know".

1) At what point is there to much "negative arch"?

2) Can I add a "super spring" or AAL to help bring it back into alignment? Or even a "helper" spring setup as a short term fix?

3) Is it possible to swap out the springs for new ones on my own? ( I am handy, work on the truck myself, etc. but was not sure if any special equipment to switch them out )

It seems the "negative arch" is common, not sure if I should be worried, thanks guys.

2. Aug 31, 2010 at 1:27 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    very easy to swap out if you get another set. an AAL would definitely be a short term fix. the best thing would to probably be getting a new pack or going to a spring shop and having the re-arched (depending on price)

3. Aug 31, 2010 at 4:15 AM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    There are a lot of the people thinking there is a negative arc on the leaf springs. Its more of an optical illusion due to the springs not being mounted parallel to the ground and the frame doesn't exactly sit parallel either. Since the rear of the spring is sitting so much higher than the front of the spring, the mind tries to make sense of it.

With only 12k miles and an 07, unless the previous owner was hauling full loads daily, I would suspect that its a case of illusion for you as well.

The FSM gives you specs for the height between the axle and the front of the leaf spring. It's a real simple measurement. The center of the front leaf spring bolt minus the center of the wheel (unloaded, of course). You'll get a negative number, which, depending on your model, should be close to -1.5". If you have a spacer lift in the back, of course remove the amount of lift from your leaf spring bolt height measurement.
    For 2WD: For 4WD & PreRunner: Another indication is the overload spring (I assume 2nd gens have them). If there is plenty of space at the edges between the main springs and the overload, the main springs are still in decent shape. If the overload spring is actually helping to hold up an empty bed, then you have issues.

Anyway, do the measurements and if it is off by much, then yes, your leafs are worn, but personally, depending if you're hauling things or not, I wouldn't worry much about it until the overload spring is close to touching.

There really aren't any specs as to when to replace the spring that I'm able to find, so its mostly just a judgment call as to when the the springs aren't doing their job as they need to. The overload spring is easy to identify and easy to reference for me.

As for your questions...
    1. I think when the front leaf bolt is about even than the center of the axle. Mostly a judgment call on how it rides and if you haul things. No one can really answer this for you.

2. Only use AAL for lifting purposes. You'd just be wasting your money to buy one to help sagging springs. (The AAL would be doing the job of the complete leaf springs if installed on bad springs, so would wear out pretty fast.) AAL is meant to assist your leafs, not do the whole job.

3. Fairly easy job if you have an impact wrench and/or the bolts aren't rusted. Many people have had to cut the bolts off in the past though. Step by step guide:

4. Aug 31, 2010 at 8:22 AM
    Cortland

Cortland THIS IS AMERICA!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Cortland
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Clifford aka Big Red
    Camburg 4" Spindles, 5100's All Around, All-Pro 1.5" Leaf Pack, All-Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit, Avid Sliders, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Wicked Flow 18" Muffler
    Subscribed

5. Aug 31, 2010 at 12:38 PM
    2007tacoOldLineSt

2007tacoOldLineSt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So in my late night/early morning haze, and probably because I have been reading up on the TSB, poor springs, etc...thus freaking out...the last mental image I had of my springs was when I was hauling some artificial stone veneer a few weeks back. SO yes, they were sad springs. But I looked this morning and they look more parallel than frowning. I am going to take Manlaan;s advice and check the bottom overload spring and do a quick measurement. I will keep you posted. Thanks!

Although, I can tell after doing the spring replacement research and seeing that I can do it myself...a small lift may be in my future!

UPDATE:

-Ok...so I measured based on the pdf Manlaan linked me to...I am good. When I saw the diagram, I walked out my door and could already see the slope of the spring was going down towards the front of the truck...measured it up and I am somewhere in that 1.5" range. So, all is well...now to consider the super spring or AAL ( same thing? ). But I guess if I want a little extra strength in the back, with the additional lift I would need to lift the front...more reading, thanks guys.

6. Aug 31, 2010 at 12:48 PM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    You can lift it with the AAL, or just to handle more weight when loaded you could install a set of TIMBRENS.

7. Apr 1, 2024 at 11:24 AM
    paulgrim

paulgrim New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4 6 speed.
    I really like this idea of taking measurements to check the leaf springs. But is the result really supposed to be a negative number? I am getting positive 1 as the difference between the front leaf spring bolt and the center of the wheel. 15.5" - 14.5" = 1.0"

I have a little space between the end of the overload spring and the spring above it. Maybe .5". Unloaded.

the links are no longer valid.

8. Apr 1, 2024 at 11:27 AM
    BigCountry762x39

BigCountry762x39 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TL
    PNW, Oregon!
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma, with the cool white paint peel
    Arb Deluxe bull bar Front Bumper Ironman4x4 12k winch synth line AFE Intake OME 2.75in Dakar Leaf springs (R) Fox 2.0 bypass shocks (R) Bilstein 6112 (F) 33's on KMC wheels off road lighting comfort mods Redrock HD roof rack Retevis rt95 Radio Slotted Rotors and HD pads
    not saying that the AAL wont help but if they are the stock originals get new ones. I recently purchased and open box of Old Man Emu spring for less then $300 way better ride again!

9. Apr 1, 2024 at 11:56 AM
    paulgrim

paulgrim New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4 6 speed.
    Thank you! I hear so many good things about Old Man. Where did you make your purchase?

10. Apr 1, 2024 at 12:01 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Probably because you woke up a thread that ended almost 14 years ago..........

YF_Ryan likes this.
  11. Apr 1, 2024 at 12:46 PM
    BigCountry762x39

BigCountry762x39 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TL
    PNW, Oregon!
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma, with the cool white paint peel
    Arb Deluxe bull bar Front Bumper Ironman4x4 12k winch synth line AFE Intake OME 2.75in Dakar Leaf springs (R) Fox 2.0 bypass shocks (R) Bilstein 6112 (F) 33's on KMC wheels off road lighting comfort mods Redrock HD roof rack Retevis rt95 Radio Slotted Rotors and HD pads
    extreme terrain, they often have open boxes.

paulgrim[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top