Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

coil compressor

Old 08-31-2010, 10:25 AM   #1
tnj has a spectacular aura abouttnj has a spectacular aura abouttnj has a spectacular aura about

Army: 197th field artillety
Name: tom and jane
tnj's Tacoma Gallery
coil compressor

can any one show or tell me how to use a coil compressor and where i could get one?
Old 08-31-2010, 10:28 AM   #2
My68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
My68ur8trd's Tacoma Gallery
google is your friend to see how to use them.

And you can rent them at autozone and get your money back when you brnig them back

Justin
Old 08-31-2010, 10:28 AM   #3
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Vatozone, checker, napa should all be able to loan it out
Old 08-31-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnj View Post
can any one show or tell me how to use a coil compressor and where i could get one?
Bro', all I can say is before you start thinking about a spring compressor & how to use it you make damned sure you understand what your getting into, obliviously your talking about shock/spring upgrade which is fine & the process is pretty straight forward but until you fully understand the dangers involved in working with heavy springs that are under tremendous pressure & what to & not to do, oh hell let me bottom line it for ya ... DO NOT TAKE OFF THE BIG CENTER NUT ON TOP OF SHOCK UNTIL SPRING IS SAFELY & CORRECTLY COMPRESSED, serious injury & deaths have occured, think of it as having 350 lbs of steel under pressure coming at you at about 150 mph & your only about a foot or 2 from it. Think you can guess which way its going to fly at you & can you get out of the way

Smart money says "No"

Not trying to talk down to you just don't want to see you get fucked up ....
Old 08-31-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Bro', all I can say is before you start thinking about a spring compressor & how to use it you make damned sure you understand what your getting into, obliviously your talking about shock/spring upgrade which is fine & the process is pretty straight forward but until you fully understand the dangers involved in working with heavy springs that are under tremendous pressure & what to & not to do, oh hell let me bottom line it for ya ... DO NOT TAKE OFF THE BIG CENTER NUT ON TOP OF SHOCK UNTIL SPRING IS SAFELY & CORRECTLY COMPRESSED, serious injury & deaths have occured, think of it as having 350 lbs of steel under pressure coming at you at about 150 mph & your only about a foot or 2 from it. Think you can guess which way its going to fly at you & can you get out of the way

Smart money says "No"

this^^

Make sure you can move the spring separately from the strut before you remove that large center nut. (basically make sure there is no spring pressure on it). You will most likely loose an appendage or die.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:02 AM   #6
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post

Smart money says "No"

Amen !. If it werent for ansi spec safety glasses, I assure you...I would have lost an eye easily to being careless.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:05 AM   #7
newbtacoma is on a distinguished road
newbtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
how much is it for a shop to change out the shocks? If i got the adjustable billies, I would rather have a shop do it - I value my eyes/face
Old 08-31-2010, 11:05 AM   #8
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Here is a pic of mine when I was in the process of putting the OME 881's on the billstein 5100's.

You can see the spring is still slightly compressed, but not fully. I was in the process of releaving the tension on the spring compressors when this pic was taken. Notice that everything on the strut assembly is fully assembled and torqued.

Note: these are the ones you rent from autozone.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:09 AM   #9
tnj has a spectacular aura abouttnj has a spectacular aura abouttnj has a spectacular aura about

tnj's Tacoma Gallery
i think ill listen to 4wd and go to a shop,thanks everyone
Old 08-31-2010, 11:33 AM   #11
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
I checked the cost at Pep Boys...they want $51/strut to compress and replace the spring.

Total for them to do it was $65/ea for front assembly + $51/ea for compression = $232 just for the fronts. The backs were only $19/ea or $39.

So I could have all 4 done for $271. No way I would pay that...I'll find someone to do it for me.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:40 AM   #12
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veccster View Post
I checked the cost at Pep Boys...they want $51/strut to compress and replace the spring.

Total for them to do it was $65/ea for front assembly + $51/ea for compression = $232 just for the fronts. The backs were only $19/ea or $39.

So I could have all 4 done for $271. No way I would pay that...I'll find someone to do it for me.
Ask them what the price is if you bring the strut assembly into them and not the whole truck. I bet you'll pay no more than $70 for all of it. And do the rears your self, super easy and not compressing at all.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:45 AM   #13

tnj's Tacoma Gallery
called checkers to see if they did it and they said no,ill have to call around
Old 08-31-2010, 11:55 AM   #14
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i think ill listen to 4wd and go to a shop,thanks everyone
I'm not trying to scare you or anyone else from DIY projects , its just like anything else , theres just certain steps to go thru

If it seems like a scary endeavour its only because theres no " Do overs"

When a coil spring sits where your head used to be, lol
Old 08-31-2010, 12:01 PM   #15

tnj's Tacoma Gallery
i hear you!!!i watched a video,looked like alot of tension
Old 08-31-2010, 12:03 PM   #16
braaap

Quote:
i hear you!!!i watched a video,looked like alot of tension
I think you should just do it yourself dude, just be aware of whats going on and you'll be fine. Just keep the strut on the ground not pointed at you or anyone else when you're working on it.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:06 PM   #17
Banned
Masada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Taylor
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
called checkers to see if they did it and they said no,ill have to call around
I don't know what checkers you called but the one down the street has them.

It's called a macpherson strut spring compressor btw...maybe they were thinking it was something else?
Old 08-31-2010, 12:09 PM   #18

tnj's Tacoma Gallery
the one i called does have the compressor but they wont do it
Old 08-31-2010, 12:12 PM   #19
Banned
Masada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Taylor
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
the one i called does have the compressor but they wont do it
Oh no they won't do it, but firestone or your local mechanic should do it for $50 (assemble your strut assemblies)
Old 08-31-2010, 12:34 PM   #20

tnj's Tacoma Gallery
called firestone and they said they wouldn't touch it because it wasn't there part,messaged toytec ,local tire store said they would want to see it first