Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

How to increase the payload capacity?

Old 07-07-2008, 07:31 AM   #1
RockyK is on a distinguished road
RockyK's Tacoma Gallery
How to increase the payload capacity?

New poster here. Searched the posts and could not find any info on this subject.

I have an 08, DC, TRD Offroad with the rear leaf TSB(everything else is stock). I recently loaded up my truck for a long weekend of camping and climbing. Loaded the truck with a lot of firewood, few coolers, grill, etc. Didn't seem like that much weight to me, yet I was 1" off the bump stops. This is with the rear leaf TSB done.

Does anyone have advice for mods to increase the payload capacity? I don't necessarily want a lift as I don't wheel that much. I just want to be able to load up this truck and run down a bumpy road without riding on the stops.

Thanks for help.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:33 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
You cant change the Manufactures GVW. You can make it more comfortable to drive when loaded by useing some air bags.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:38 PM   #3
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
I got a dumb question (surprize!) what ever happened to 'air shocks' or 'spring loaded' shocks? Don't they make them for our trucks? I had a KILLER set of air shocks on my '79 Malibu-but that was years ago.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:59 PM   #4
RockyK is on a distinguished road
RockyK's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
I got a dumb question (surprize!) what ever happened to 'air shocks' or 'spring loaded' shocks? Don't they make them for our trucks? I had a KILLER set of air shocks on my '79 Malibu-but that was years ago.
air bags, yes....shocks, i dont think so
Old 07-08-2008, 08:39 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
They stopped makeing them because of 2 things. 1.Its much harder to use Air as a dampening medium, and 2. Air bleeds off more easilly than oil, thus needing more expensive and faillure prone.