Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

OME questions (want to make sure I order everything needed)

Old 09-01-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
cathellsk is on a distinguished road
Army: Supply 92A/Medic 91W
cathellsk's Tacoma Gallery
OME questions (want to make sure I order everything needed)

Little background about me, I'm a former JEEP owner (4 different Wranglers) and OME is highly thought of in that community. I had an OME lift on my last JEEP, an '04 Wrangler Unlimited LJ and LOVED IT.

Fast forward to now, I'm on my third Tacoma ('10 TRD Sport DC 4x4) and want to get an OME for it. I'm looking at the Toytec website and their OME kit. Because of my DC I'm going with the 885s up front. I don't feel I need the top plate spacers as all I want to do is clear a set of 265/70s.
I'm going with the AAL w/out TSB springs (dealer is giving me crap about doing the TSB) for now and may update to the DAKAR springs at a later date.

My questions are:
1 - How much lift do you net with a V6 DC and 885 coils w/out the top plate spacer? I'm not adding any bumpers, winches, etc.
2 - Will this set up sit fairly level? I don't mind if the rear is a little higher, used to that look anyway.
3 - Do I need anything else thats not included in Toytec's kit? I want to place one order for everything.

I'm not going for a particular height other than to clear the above mentioned tires. I want the OME ride quality that I enjoyed on my LJ.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-01-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
HusqyRider is a splendid one to beholdHusqyRider is a splendid one to beholdHusqyRider is a splendid one to beholdHusqyRider is a splendid one to beholdHusqyRider is a splendid one to beholdHusqyRider is a splendid one to beholdHusqyRider is a splendid one to behold
Name: Adam
HusqyRider's Tacoma Gallery
I'm interested in the responses here. I have OME on my XJ and want it for my 01 DC 2wd V6. Thinking about returning the Bilsteins I bought and getting the OME kit.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
06ToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06ToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06ToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06ToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06ToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06ToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06ToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06ToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06ToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06ToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06ToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

06ToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
1 - How much lift do you net with a V6 DC and 885 coils w/out the top plate spacer? I'm not adding any bumpers, winches, etc. I didn't take any before measurements; but I'm currently at ~ 36.75" in the front with only 885x coils and taco lean spacer on stock size tires (245/75R16). I'm assuming ~ 2.5" of lift.
2 - Will this set up sit fairly level? I don't mind if the rear is a little higher, used to that look anyway. I have 885 coils w/o top plate spacer & 1.5" tsb aal + tsb leafs and have ~ 1.5-2" of rake.
3 - Do I need anything else thats not included in Toytec's kit? I want to place one order for everything. Since you have a 4x4, a diff drop is recommended. Might also need axle shims and/or carrier bearing drop depending if your truck develops vibes or not.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
OME is great I have the 885s on my truck and greasable shackles on my jeep.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
barlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
barlowrs's Tacoma Gallery
Get 3 deg axel shims....diff drop doesnt really do anything for the new gen tacoma. Not sure about AAL, but if you do go with Dakars, extended rear brake lines will be NICE, but not needed. When I am at full flex, my stock lines are tight, but are not pulling out. Also, I have a 10mm top plate ontop of my 886 for the front to allow her to set level in with Dakars in the rear.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:51 PM   #6
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyRider View Post
I'm interested in the responses here. I have OME on my XJ and want it for my 01 DC 2wd V6. Thinking about returning the Bilsteins I bought and getting the OME kit.
Out of curiosity, what don't you like about the Bilsteins?
Old 09-01-2010, 11:02 PM   #7
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
You don't need a lift to clear 265/70/17 or 265/75/16.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #8
HusqyRider is a splendid one to beholdHusqyRider is a splendid one to beholdHusqyRider is a splendid one to beholdHusqyRider is a splendid one to beholdHusqyRider is a splendid one to beholdHusqyRider is a splendid one to beholdHusqyRider is a splendid one to behold
Name: Adam
HusqyRider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWA View Post
Out of curiosity, what don't you like about the Bilsteins?
I have factory Bilsteins (c. 2001) and I don't know the 5100s are the best improvement-to-dollar ratio. I've heard the OME shocks are a better overall ride than the Bilsteins. That's my research, and someone else may jump in and correct me. I don't want to pay 3 bills for a marginal improvement.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:14 PM   #9
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
well if you're getting OME coils, the OME shocks are better matched..some fancy mombo jumbo that i can't remember, but none the less..
Old 09-01-2010, 11:23 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigzor View Post
Negative. I got a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers in that size on a set of 17x9 KMC Revolvers. The only time they don't rub is when I'm going straight down the road. I'm not cutting my inner fender well either.
I had a Daystar spacer lift installed and that cured the rubbing but the rear end is lower than the front now and I've learned that those kind of lifts aren't the best to have and want to replace it.
Anything else I do to this truck is going to be done right, hence the OME kit because I know they are GTG.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:49 PM   #11
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathellsk View Post
Negative. I got a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers in that size on a set of 17x9 KMC Revolvers. The only time they don't rub is when I'm going straight down the road. I'm not cutting my inner fender well either.
I had a Daystar spacer lift installed and that cured the rubbing but the rear end is lower than the front now and I've learned that those kind of lifts aren't the best to have and want to replace it.
Anything else I do to this truck is going to be done right, hence the OME kit because I know they are GTG.

I'm running 265/70/17 MT's no lift , no rub at all .

Lots of others are running this size tire on stock set ups as well , odd that you are having such big rubbing troubles .
Old 09-02-2010, 12:21 AM   #12
My '08 didn't but this '10 does. Don't know why, wheels maybe?
Old 09-02-2010, 05:47 AM   #13
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
Stock wheels you shouldn't have any issue. It could be the aftermarket wheels.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:54 AM   #14
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Get the trim packer for the left front to counter the taco lean.
I have this setup with the 1-1/2" AAL, I do not need the axel shims with this setup no low speed vibe.
You will like it.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:42 AM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by OH-MAN View Post
Get the trim packer for the left front to counter the taco lean.
What is that and where can I get it?
Old 09-02-2010, 08:53 AM   #16
Here's some pics of it with the wheels/tires pre-lift.

You can see the difference between the two sizes in the last picture. Not much on paper but obviously a big difference.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:01 PM   #17
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathellsk View Post
My '08 didn't but this '10 does. Don't know why, wheels maybe?
Quote:
Stock wheels you shouldn't have any issue. It could be the aftermarket wheels.

Probably this ^^^^^

I am on stock wheels with no rub , maybe your aftermarket wheels have a different backspacing ?
Old 09-08-2010, 12:15 PM   #18
wilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the rough
Name: Pete
wilsonpj's Tacoma Gallery
any body have ride height measurements? IE from ground to center part of fender?

I have the OME 3in, LR UCA's, with the top plate spacer and 285x75 tires and seem to be really jacked up. I'm about 39 1/4 in.

The reason I ask is I now seem to have virtually no down travel. I'll go over a bump and bottom out the suspension. I think I might remove the spacers and see if that helps.

Also not sure how much the lift will settle and how long that will take but hopefully that will help too.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:27 PM   #19
l_prettyman has a spectacular aura aboutl_prettyman has a spectacular aura about
Name: Logan
l_prettyman's Tacoma Gallery
1. i got a full 3 inches out of my kit but i DID use the top plate
2. you will sit perfectly level if you use the top plate
3. i suggest getting rear shock extenders which toytec has, search their site

i love my lift but you can fit 265/70s on stock suspension. also if i were you i would get the spacer and use it. you might want to think about getting bilstein 5100s
Old 09-08-2010, 12:28 PM   #20
wilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the rough
Name: Pete
wilsonpj's Tacoma Gallery
the rear seems fine its the front that seems to have no down travel.