Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Best way to tell how much suspension has sagged over the years?

Old 09-01-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Best way to tell how much suspension has sagged over the years?

Is there a way to estimate without knowing what the original height was?

My truck is 4 years old now with 100K on it, and I'm trying to figure out if/how much my stock coils and leaf springs have compressed...

Any thoughts?
Old 09-01-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
The factory service manuals (FSMs) for the trucks provide the information on where to measure for stock new height, and provide the numbers according to your specific model/trim of truck.

I have a first gen, but I am not familiar with the 2nd gen FSM. Prehaps someone else with a 2nd gen on this site can tell you where you can download it.

OK, I uploaded the equivalent FSM information for the first gen, which will give you the basics of how this is determined, but you will need the 2nd gen FSM spec for your truck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Alignment spec_SA10.pdf (101.3 KB, 57 views)
File Type: pdf SA-66_alignment_spec.pdf (47.3 KB, 35 views)
Old 09-02-2010, 06:14 AM   #3
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Excellent, thanks. I will dig around for the 2nd gen FSM's to find some numbers. Thanks again!
Old 09-02-2010, 06:15 AM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Stock trucks are about 34" from ground to fender with new tires (265/70/16 or 265/65/17). +/- 1/3"
Old 09-02-2010, 06:17 AM   #5

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Stock trucks are about 34" from ground to fender with new tires (265/70/16 or 265/65/17). +/- 1/3"
Is that front or rear?
Old 09-02-2010, 06:22 AM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWA View Post
Is that front or rear?
Im sorry. Front. The rear is about 36 to 36.5"

Old 09-02-2010, 08:43 AM   #7

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Im sorry. Front. The rear is about 36 to 36.5"
Excellent, thanks. Mine is about 34.5" in front and 36.5" in back, which is kinda surprising -- I thought surely things would have sagged a bit.