LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Is this feasable with the Tacoma?

Old 09-03-2010, 08:39 AM   #1
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabian
Fabulous's Tacoma Gallery
Is this feasable with the Tacoma?

http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3270

I came accross this while checking out this forum I used to go to when I had my 4runner...you think this is possible to do on our Tacomas?
Old 09-03-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't recommend it. It looks shady as hell.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:50 AM   #3
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
It looks like an amazingly bad idea.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:56 AM   #4
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
It should work fine taking it out but I think you might would run into problems reinstalling it. For example, the spring might lift the truck up before being able to put the nut back on top. And I would also put a small chain around the spring and to the frame so that the spring can't jump out if something happens.That is how you take the spring off of vehicles without coilovers.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:02 AM   #5
Tojo is on a distinguished road

Tojo's Tacoma Gallery
they forgot to mention that before using this method be sure your life insurance policy is paid up....
Old 09-03-2010, 09:11 AM   #6
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
^LOL...but seriously are the two bolts factory torque spec really 166 ft-lbs?
Old 09-03-2010, 09:12 AM   #7
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Most people seem to use a spring compressor to assemble their front struts, if they are not already assembled. Spring compressors are difficult to use and dangerous.
Oh yeah, doing it without one takes allll the danger out....
Old 09-03-2010, 09:16 AM   #8
BritMike will become famous soon enough
Name: Mike
BritMike's Tacoma Gallery
Its how we used to do them when we were kids and didn't have spring compressors. (We were even more idiotic back then with MacPherson struts, used to let the car down off the jacks and use the car weight to compress the springs)

Saying that - its still bloody stupid. even more so when you can just rent the compressors from Autozone for $0.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:32 AM   #9
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I figured it looked scetchy too, but my cousin who is a heavy duty mechanic figures it looks like a solid way to get the stock ones out at least... I dunno, I thought I'd run it past you guys.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:55 AM   #10
Banned
Masada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Taylor
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
It doesn't cost anything to rent a tool at autozone or checkers, why would you do this? Beg, barrow or steal a compressor and do it right and safe the first time.

It's threads like these that make me glad I'm on TW...

OP it was a good idea to check some other people first. Shows you have a good head on your sholders.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #11

I'm not saying I would do it this way...I'm too cautious to try anything like this. I was just more curious if this would even work, or if anyone had done it this way. I'm having mine put together by a suspension shop down the street for $60.