1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ghetto alignment experience

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by sdheda, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Sep 3, 2010 at 5:33 PM
    sdheda

sdheda [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sherj
    HB, Ca
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD OR 4x4 DC
    In progress :/
    I had possibly the most ghetto experience getting my truck aligned. To be fair I had never seen an alignment done up close so maybe this is how it is done.

After I got my lift installed, I took my truck to Vodie's Alignment in Garden Grove, Ca to get the alignment done. These are the same people that sell EZ Lift kits (website). I thought that since they sell lift kits for our trucks, they should be able to get the alignment spot on.

Once I got there and let the machanic drive the truck around the block. He came back into the parking lot, and I wanted to explain to him how to adjust the caster on my Light Racing Upper Control Arms. As I showed him, he stopped me and told me that he does not need to adjust the caster. I thought whatever, he must know what he is doing.

To check the camber he used a leveling device, with an actual bubble for the reading. To check the toe, he drove the truck over something that had teeth that the tires would push down, and a meter gave some measurement. I should have taken a picture of the meter. It looked like a large pressure gauge (with a needle reading) that indicated tire wear. Who knows how often it has been calibrated.

He made some adjustments while doing all of this. After he finished he drove the truck around the block again, and said that it was all ready to go. Needless to say, I left there in shock at what I had just witnessed.

After I got home, I realized they did not give me any alignment readings. So I called the owner, and asked him what they had done. He said they do a "manual" alignment. He explained to me it was better than a computer alignment, since it adjusts for the crown on the roads. He said that if there were any problems, then I should come back to them.

I don't know what to do. Is this normal? Is manual alignment really better than a computer alignment?

The truck appears to drive fine, but I was not able to drive it on the freeway, and the roads around here are pretty bad. I will also be installing new tires next week and I don't what to experience uneven wear.

2. Sep 3, 2010 at 5:41 PM
    mattleegee

mattleegee Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD PRO 6sp
    You dont need special computers and readouts to have a good alignment
    If they stated "bring it back if you have problems" then it sounds legit to me
    Any extra noise coming from tires or anything? watch for abnormal tire wear

3. Sep 3, 2010 at 5:45 PM
    El Tano

El Tano i am the one who knocks

Member:
    Pasadena. CA
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD sport
    Corvette homelink FRONT: 5100 Blinstein set at 0 Procomp 3" leveling kit Allpro UCA’s. REAR: Icon Multi Rate RXT Leaf Pack 5100 Blinstein. 17x9 kMC wheels 0 BS 285/70 17 Wildpeak A/T4W C range Amp research steps. and a bunch of TSB's
    yea, take it back once your tires are all worn out...

4. Sep 3, 2010 at 5:57 PM
    senor taco

senor taco ROLLIN ON RUST

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Vehicle:
    O7 Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    17in fj cruiser wheels satoshi grille with devil horns emblem Single in double out 50 series flowmaster with stainless tips Kenwod ddx512 double din touch screen DVD reciver with a single Rockford fosgate 12 in sub with an alpine amp tinted tail and third break light silverstar head and fog lights k&n drop in Billy 5100's on all 4 corners with a 2"AAL
    How's the ride after alignment? Does it drive straight on the highway? Do the tires look straight on level ground? I believe I read somewhere that manual alignments are beter than computer one.

5. Sep 3, 2010 at 6:00 PM
    sdheda

Member:
    First Name:
    Sherj
    HB, Ca
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD OR 4x4 DC
    No extra noise. As I said, it appears to be aligned, but the roads in my area aren't the best, meaning leveled and straight.

They told me to come back once I get my new tires installed so that they can re-check the alignment.

6. Sep 3, 2010 at 6:03 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    got me here,i have never heard of anything like that.

7. Sep 3, 2010 at 6:10 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    I get my alignment done at B&D Alignment in Bellflower, not the nicest place around. They do the same thing, use older tools without the laser readings that modern alignment machines have so you don't get a "computer print out", you just really have to go by feel. I take my vehicle in if it drifts on the road or feels squirrely and leave with a great driving vehicle. If it drives perfect after the alignment that's my "confirmation" that it's adjusted correctly.

If your truck drives straight I wouldn't worry at all.

8. Sep 3, 2010 at 6:12 PM
    sdheda

Member:
    First Name:
    Sherj
    HB, Ca
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD OR 4x4 DC
    The drive is okay. I will have a better idea once I get a chance to drive it on the freeway.

I haven't checked if the tires look straight on level ground. I will try to take a picture later.

9. Sep 3, 2010 at 6:22 PM
    sdheda

Member:
    First Name:
    Sherj
    HB, Ca
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD OR 4x4 DC
    Thanks Manny.

I will take it out again and see how it feels to me.

I looked up B&D Alignmentin in Google maps, and it looks similar to the place I took my truck to.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=vodie...noid=mHsxWxFkjikf7UsqvBxWpg&cbp=12,12,,0,6.05

10. Sep 3, 2010 at 7:42 PM
    86ceeten

86ceeten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    NW Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road PreRunner
    Limo tint, 18x10 Diamo Karat, Toyo 285-60's, Rear TSB, 5100's all around, front at 2.5", Debadged, Sound System (evolving)
    That's how mine was done after the lift. Old school shop, Bee Line, owned and operated by an older Asian couple. They use old school tools and methods and they know their stuff... I bet it's every bit as good as or better than a computer job. Truck drives dead straight and the Toyos show no signs of wear after 12k miles.

Products Discussed in

To Top