Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

bilstein 5100 adjustables ?

Old 07-08-2008, 07:50 PM   #1
LARGE Member
BLUVVV has a spectacular aura aboutBLUVVV has a spectacular aura aboutBLUVVV has a spectacular aura about

Name: Bryce
BLUVVV's Tacoma Gallery
bilstein 5100 adjustables ?

so im thinking about geting a mild off road lift for my taco... my buddy just put the bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks on his tundra and i think it looks awesome and i really want the same...I was just wondering if anyone has done this lift and the pros and cons of it?
Old 07-08-2008, 07:52 PM   #2
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
I have got them on my truck best investment i have done, pros awesome shocks very durable cons none!
Old 07-08-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Set at 1.75.No cons at this time. The ride is by far better then the stock trd. Well worth it.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:29 PM   #4
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Please use the search function. I don't know how many times I have recommended them on this forum in the last month.

Yes, we use 5100s. Yes, they ride well. Yes, they are cost effective.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:33 PM   #5
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

He asking for our opinions i have done the same and given multiple opinions but if you dont like it dont write anything.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:52 PM   #6
LARGE Member
BLUVVV has a spectacular aura aboutBLUVVV has a spectacular aura aboutBLUVVV has a spectacular aura about

Name: Bryce
BLUVVV's Tacoma Gallery
thanks brother...i hate it when people are so stuck up! well i think they are the best bang for your buck for $103 a pop.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:02 PM   #7
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUVVV View Post
thanks brother...i hate it when people are so stuck up! well i think they are the best bang for your buck for $103 a pop.
You can order just the front ones for 160.Downsouthmotors on ebay.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:41 PM   #8
Founder Socaltacomas.com

go with downsouthmotorsports!
Old 07-08-2008, 09:58 PM   #9
Be a fountain, not a drain.
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevin
bambooshoots's Tacoma Gallery
Is it acceptable to run the Bilstein 5100 on the front only and not do anything on the rear? Or will that make the Tacoma look like it's dragging ass?

If I can't get the rear suspension TSB performed what's my next best option?
Old 07-08-2008, 10:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambooshoots View Post
Is it acceptable to run the Bilstein 5100 on the front only and not do anything on the rear? Or will that make the Tacoma look like it's dragging ass?

The cost of all 4 is 269.Blocks or add a leaf.(aal)for the back.How much tire you want to put on?? There are many options.Advantage w/the 5100's is their hight adjustable.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:20 PM   #11
Be a fountain, not a drain.
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevin
bambooshoots's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridingontrd View Post
The cost of all 4 is 269.Blocks or add a leaf.(aal)for the back.How much tire you want to put on?? There are many options.Advantage w/the 5100's is their hight adjustable.
I currently don't have any plans other than to keep the stock tires and replace them with BFG A/Ts in a little bit; the truck I'm looking at has about 56,000 miles on what looks like the factory BFG Rugged Trail A/T with some tread left.

I'll probably keep the factory size tires on factory wheels. I'm looking at the suspension for better hauling and handling characteristics.

Will the Tacoma be level lifting the front 2.5" and the rear 1" with the Bilsteins? Or will I need to toss in an AAL?
Old 07-08-2008, 10:31 PM   #12

The front only has lift. Set at 2.5,blocks in the back,the rear will still be higher then the front. or use aal.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:03 AM   #13
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoTRD View Post
Please use the search function. I don't know how many times I have recommended them on this forum in the last month.

When you get some on your truck and can actually recommend them from personal use you still shouldn't have that attitude. As stated don't reply and just surf on.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:14 AM   #14
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambooshoots View Post

Depends on what year truck and model concerning if the rear leaf TSB is even required or available. From that point depends on how much lift you would want. The 5100's for the front have four levels of lift. Stock height, .85", 1.75", and a full 2.5". Many have said that at 2.5" they're a pretty firm ride. Bilstein's websight says that the 5100's for the rear are for up to 2" of lift, but the rear don't actually add any lift.
When you get your truck put a floor jack under the front and use a tape to measure the different height options of the 5100's and step back and see which setting looks good to you.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:24 AM   #15
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
There are three threads on the first page of the Suspension folder with 5100s in the name, excluding this one. The entire idea that I am "stuck up" for suggesting a search is absurd.

I have no problem with someone being a newb or whatever, what annoys me is when somebody doesn't bother spending 5 seconds to see if their question has already been answered.

Edit:

I think I have found a new sig.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUVVV View Post
so im thinking about geting a mild off road lift for my taco... my buddy just put the bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks on his tundra and i think it looks awesome and i really want the same...I was just wondering if anyone has done this lift and the pros and cons of it?
No cons at all. The ride is great and they have far better dampening than the stock shocks.
From your picture your truck only has a slight rake now. When I installed my 5100's I only used the .85" setting and actually got a full 1" of lift.
With the rear TSB and at this setting on the front 5100's it has settled out to about a 1.25" tail high rake on my truck which I like. Everyone gets slightly different results.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:56 PM   #17
AKA "06tacosport"
Lunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beth
Lunercrab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridingontrd View Post
i actually just bought 5100's all around on ebay...gettin them monday...i have the alcon AAL that i have yet to put onto my truck...do you guys suggest i sent the front shocks at 2.5 with the AAL or lower?...also i heard the rear shocks are really easy to install yourself...is that right? i too am keeping my stock 17's with this set up
Old 07-09-2008, 10:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06tacosport View Post
i actually just bought 5100's all around on ebay...gettin them monday...i have the alcon AAL that i have yet to put onto my truck...do you guys suggest i sent the front shocks at 2.5 with the AAL or lower?...also i heard the rear shocks are really easy to install yourself...is that right? i too am keeping my stock 17's with this set up
Maybe do the rear AAL first to see how much lift you get. Yes the rear 5100's are easily installed.
Then place a jack under the front cross member and measure to the wheel well and jack it up to the different heights available with the 5100's and decide that way where you want the front ones set.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:10 PM   #19
mmmm tacos!
nad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
nad's Tacoma Gallery
I am also looking at 5100's all around

Hello all, I have a 2005 tdr off-road access cab and am looking at replacing the shocks all around with 5100's. My warranty is up and the person who owned it before me did not get any TSB's. I am wondering if the rear 5100's actually have an adjustable rear 1 inch lift or is it just the amount of lift the shocks add? I ask this because i have seen many places selling them say that they have a 1 inch lift in the back and other sites dont even mention it. Also if I do get the 1 inch lift on the back what would be an appropriate level lift on the front?
Old 05-31-2009, 03:42 PM   #20
ffblaze911 will become famous soon enoughffblaze911 will become famous soon enough

Firefighter: Engineer
Name: Matt
ffblaze911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoTRD View Post

Another 18 year old that knows everything !!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW