Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

HELP! Upper ball joint keeps turning?!

Old 09-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabian
Fabulous's Tacoma Gallery
HELP! Upper ball joint keeps turning?!

I'm trying to get my lift all done up, but the upper ball joint where the castle nut goes keeps turning?! Is there a way to hold it in place enough to do it up and install the pin? Please help as I'm running out of sunlight.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:12 PM   #3
Honey your two French Fries short of a Happy Meal.
eight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
eight3one_offroad's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to eight3one_offroad
put some pressure down on the UCA to connect it with the spindle, make sure you torque it.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:21 PM   #4
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Already tried that...seriously, no amount of downward pressure is helping. Do these things usually turn? The one on the passenger side went on no problem. I get like maybe one turn, and the whole assemble turns.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:22 PM   #5

You think if I got the nut started, and put the wheels on and lowered it that the weight of the vehicle would help hold it in place?
Old 09-08-2010, 06:24 PM   #6
senna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to behold
senna's Tacoma Gallery
The taper on the stud and spindle is what will keep it from turning. Did you jack up on the lower control arm until it starts to lift the truck off of the jack stand, then push down on the upper control arm.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #7
senna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to behold
senna's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
You think if I got the nut started, and put the wheels on and lowered it that the weight of the vehicle would help hold it in place?
Not a bad idea, but I would want more than one turn on the nut to hold it.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:16 PM   #9

I ended up putting the wheels back on with the nut started, and lowered it a bit with the jack...it went right in. Now I just need to figure out how to tighten up the one bolt on my sway bar, and get an alignment.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:28 AM   #10

What is the torque spec for the castle nut...couldn't find one...
Old 09-09-2010, 10:27 AM   #12
wilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the rough
Name: Pete
wilsonpj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
What is the torque spec for the castle nut...couldn't find one...
I think its about 45ftlbs
Old 11-30-2014, 06:19 PM   #14
needs a chaperone
Idok is on a distinguished road

Idok's Tacoma Gallery
Blast from the past...

Just did this today...used a ratchet strap to cinch down the UCA