Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

What constitutes "level"

Old 09-10-2010, 12:14 PM   #1
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
What constitutes "level"

Just figured I would get opinions on what people consider a "level" truck. I see many pictures of people saying they "leveled" out their truck when to me it looks nose-high. Personally I prefer a slight amount of rake, it keeps your truck from looking like the rear is sagging.

Discuss amongst yourselves
Old 09-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Well, sense you said you were looking for opinions, a level truck is when you've lifted the front and not the back so the second you put anything in the bed your truck looks overloaded.

For me, the only way my truck will ever sit level is with a lot of weight in the bed or towing a heavy trailer.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #3
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
My defenition would be that the fender gap is the same in the front as it is in the rear. From the factory the rear has more gap. I agree that I see a lot of people saying they leveled their truck and it looks like the front is higher than the back.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I'm with you guys. Think an empty truck looks right with some rake.

"Levelled" trucks often look to me like they've got a bed full of sand.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
nomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shed
nomad's Tacoma Gallery
I leveled mine with a set of Donahoe coilovers. I then installed a set of air bags in the rear to ensure that no matter what kind of load I threw in the back, it would stay level.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:50 AM   #6
Taco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Helo nighttime recon extended perimeter security
Name: David
Taco4x4NC's Tacoma Gallery
What's level?

I guess what ever you are happy with as the owner... I like a little rake.

Cheers!

Taco4x4nc

Old 09-11-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
lasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant future
Navy: Lead PO Submarine Reactor Control Dvision
lasllc's Tacoma Gallery
level is level; put a 3 foot bubble level on the door frame and see what it says. If you want it level with your usual load - load the truck and use the level to see what you need to do; pretty easy with air lifts in back and a "leveling kit" in front, set a smidge high. Course maybe thats not "cool".
Old 09-11-2010, 04:56 PM   #8
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasllc View Post
level is level; put a 3 foot bubble level on the door frame and see what it says. If you want it level with your usual load - load the truck and use the level to see what you need to do; pretty easy with air lifts in back and a "leveling kit" in front, set a smidge high. Course maybe thats not "cool".

^^^ this would only work if the truck was on dead level ground . For example , if the truck was sitting with the front tires 2" uphill of the rear , you could have a 2" rake and the level would still indicate that it was level .

Level to me is the same measurement front and back to the underside of the fenders , with the truck on level ground . I personally like the factory rake .
Old 09-12-2010, 07:43 AM   #9
lasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant future
Navy: Lead PO Submarine Reactor Control Dvision
lasllc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
^^^ this would only work if the truck was on dead level ground . For example , if the truck was sitting with the front tires 2" uphill of the rear , you could have a 2" rake and the level would still indicate that it was level .

Level to me is the same measurement front and back to the underside of the fenders , with the truck on level ground . I personally like the factory rake .
1) Frankly I thought this was too patently obvious to mention; but the OP did ask "what is level".

2) I agree, although I picked mine up 3/4 inch in front when I put the 5100's all aaround.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:21 AM   #10
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasllc View Post
1) Frankly I thought this was too patently obvious to mention; but the OP did ask "what is level".

2) I agree, although I picked mine up 3/4 inch in front when I put the 5100's all aaround.