Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Best Route for a Lift Kit?

Old 07-10-2008, 10:45 AM   #1
Moose
MooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: USS John Paul Jones; Gas Turbine Technician Electrical 2nd Class (SW)
MooseTX82's Tacoma Gallery
Best Route for a Lift Kit?

Im looking for a 3" Lift on my 08 DC TRD 4X4.

I do some Off-Roading but i dont do it all the time. I guess I want a good combo of OR and city ride. Something in the middle. What would be the best lift kit for me? Oh my budget is about 1000$ +/- 500 $.

Moose
Old 07-10-2008, 10:47 AM   #3
Banchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud of

Name: Ron
Banchi94's Tacoma Gallery
I'd go with ToyTec. The spacer lift and rear AALs would suffice, but it may be more beneficial to get front 885 coils and rear AALs, since you probably will do more OR than I do. I got the spacer up front. You'll spend probably around $300 for the kit.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:50 AM   #4
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
for $1k, u can get a pimp 3" adjustable coilover setup w/ an AAL in the back.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:08 AM   #5
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
for $1k, u can get a pimp 3" adjustable coilover setup w/ an AAL in the back.
Thats the route I would go. SAWs up front and a AAL in the rear. Since He said +/- $500, I'd also suggest some TC UCA's.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:54 AM   #6
bigguy78619 is a jewel in the roughbigguy78619 is a jewel in the roughbigguy78619 is a jewel in the roughbigguy78619 is a jewel in the rough
bigguy78619's Tacoma Gallery
tc uca's. fox coilovers with deaver rear
Old 07-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #7
Banchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy78619 View Post
tc uca's. fox coilovers with deaver rear

Good call on the UCAs...I just got some TCs last week that I need to install.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:12 PM   #8
Moose
MooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I was looking at the Toytech front adj coilover shocks for 800$. Think those would be a good investment?

Also. Wheres the best place to order from?

Moose
Old 07-10-2008, 01:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseTX82 View Post
I was looking at the Toytech front adj coilover shocks for 800$. Think those would be a good investment?

Also. Wheres the best place to order from?

Moose
This really depends on what you want to do. If you are heavy on offroading, the adjustable coils might be good, but if you're mostly on the highway and sometimes in the dirt, then I would go spacers up front and AALs in the rear. Try www.toyteclifts.com.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:32 PM   #10
Moose

Also as far as the DRs go I hear that its recommended that you do not go over 2.5".

http://www.donahoeracing.com/prod_ph...p?productID=21

What do you think of these?
Old 07-10-2008, 01:51 PM   #11
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Donahoe/Icon are the best quality, but they are much more expensive than Toytec C/Os.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:58 PM   #12
Moose

Well if the money isnt a problem is it really worth the extra or are the Toytechs pretty much just as good and more bang for the buck?
Old 07-10-2008, 02:09 PM   #13
bigguy78619 is a jewel in the roughbigguy78619 is a jewel in the roughbigguy78619 is a jewel in the roughbigguy78619 is a jewel in the rough
bigguy78619's Tacoma Gallery
i would go with the king or fox coilover, great shocks.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #14
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
IMHO, I went with the OME 885's and TC UCA's. I have a friend with coil overs set @ 3" and the ride was pretty stiff. the OME 885's are only about 40# more spring rate than stock.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:55 PM   #15
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
IMHO, I went with the OME 885's and TC UCA's. I have a friend with coil overs set @ 3" and the ride was pretty stiff. the OME 885's are only about 40# more spring rate than stock.
Just out of curiosity, which coilovers? puting off OME 886's which are way more affordable for a good set of coil O's. Stuck between DR's or Allpro's. Allpro's got best price, and Donahoe's got most rep.

Oh yeah, and when you say stiff, you do mean terrible ride, and not that stiff truck feeling that trucks should have right? I got a spacer, and it's a bit stiffer but still feels like a sport truck...

Thanks.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:03 PM   #16
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxspin72 View Post
Just out of curiosity, which coilovers? puting off OME 886's which are way more affordable for a good set of coil O's. Stuck between DR's or Allpro's. Allpro's got best price, and Donahoe's got most rep.

Oh yeah, and when you say stiff, you do mean terrible ride, and not that stiff truck feeling that trucks should have right? I got a spacer, and it's a bit stiffer but still feels like a sport truck...

Thanks.
He has Sway-A-Ways. He turned them down to about 2.25" and they ride much better. His was stiff as in rides like it has solid tires, not good.
FWIW, I belive the 886's have a similar spring rate as many coilovers.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:39 PM   #17
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Ok so why do different sites post diff ride hieghts for OME's. Toytech says 3" w/886's and that includes top plate spacer (I believe 3/4"). and another site claim bout 1.75". And so many sites claim diff height for front bumper set up. Seems like none of the sites have faith in the OME ride height spring droop situation. I aint spending all that cash to have the same height I have now. Plus the coil overs have maybe same spring rate but are claimed to with stand the assertive travel that's put on em. Not knocking OME's, just want some educated first hand facts.

Timmer, not to call you out but how can all this knowledge come first hand from running one setup. If you read well state it. If you ran it, please state that also, you in that sense can be a wealth of knowledge for all of us... oh and your bills are a bit high, not sure when you last checked your sites but 15 bills for OME... Damn why not go DR w/TC UCA's...
Old 07-11-2008, 03:49 AM   #18
Moose

Well I can go with the DR Coilovers in the front with the OME 885 from Toytech in the back with the TC UCAs. Shouldnt be a bad set up right? Im not hell bent on the 3" lift. I can drop it to 2.5" if thats what it calls for too.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseTX82 View Post
Well I can go with the DR Coilovers in the front with the OME 885 from Toytech in the back with the TC UCAs. Shouldnt be a bad set up right? Im not hell bent on the 3" lift. I can drop it to 2.5" if thats what it calls for too.
The OME 885's arent going to fit in the rear. They are coils springs, and the rear on the Tacoma is a leaf set up.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxspin72 View Post
Ok so why do different sites post diff ride hieghts for OME's. Toytech says 3" w/886's and that includes top plate spacer (I believe 3/4"). and another site claim bout 1.75". And so many sites claim diff height for front bumper set up. Seems like none of the sites have faith in the OME ride height spring droop situation. I aint spending all that cash to have the same height I have now. Plus the coil overs have maybe same spring rate but are claimed to with stand the assertive travel that's put on em. Not knocking OME's, just want some educated first hand facts.

Timmer, not to call you out but how can all this knowledge come first hand from running one setup. If you read well state it. If you ran it, please state that also, you in that sense can be a wealth of knowledge for all of us... oh and your bills are a bit high, not sure when you last checked your sites but 15 bills for OME... Damn why not go DR w/TC UCA's...
The info I gathered about OME: the 1.75" lift is an "Old" rateing. The springs were redone, and now the 885's and 886's give a full 3" lift. I'm running the 885's with no top plate spacer, and have been for a while now, and Im still at 3" lift over stock. No sighn of saging. Keep in mind the 886's are a higher spring rate (and I belive a thicker coil dia.), and are to be used in conjunction with a winch and heavy bumper. I didnt keep track of the cost of my lift, but I belive that with the OME front, TC UCA's, AAL, and rear shocks, the total was around $1000.00. I went with the Bilstien 5100 rear shocks as I have read many people with the OME rear shocks have had them break under heavy articulation. I couldnt be happier with my set up. Takes big hits VERY nicely, and has a good street ride.