Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Tacoma Lift FAQ/Guide - READ THIS

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-10-2012, 07:47 PM   #301
justinitsuj is on a distinguished road
Name: Justin
justinitsuj's Tacoma Gallery
currently running the fabtech 6 inch basic kit. Is there any way of improving the ride quality in terms of removing the blocks in the back and adding something else or is the ride naturally stiff with that kit?
Old 08-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #302
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Apparently it's time for me to replace the shocks and struts. If I go with 5100's in the front does that mean I can remove my Toytec spacers from the OEM coils? I had thought about getting OME 886's since I have a plate steel bumper now. Would I need those with the 5100's? I would think not based on the comment in the OP about not recommending after market coils with the 5100's. So confused now, and I don't want to pay $600-$1100 for Monro to replace all 4 corners.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:45 PM   #303
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
Apparently it's time for me to replace the shocks and struts. If I go with 5100's in the front does that mean I can remove my Toytec spacers from the OEM coils? I had thought about getting OME 886's since I have a plate steel bumper now. Would I need those with the 5100's? I would think not based on the comment in the OP about not recommending after market coils with the 5100's. So confused now, and I don't want to pay $600-$1100 for Monro to replace all 4 corners.
The 886s would be best since you have a plate bumper, but it's not recommended that you use 5100s with the 886s. The OME shocks are a better fit.

You can use aftermarket coils in general with the 5100s though, many use eibachs or 885s.

If you do get 5100s without aftermarket springs, you should remove your spacers and use the 5100s to preload your stock springs instead.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:16 AM   #304
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
The 886s would be best since you have a plate bumper, but it's not recommended that you use 5100s with the 886s. The OME shocks are a better fit.

You can use aftermarket coils in general with the 5100s though, many use eibachs or 885s.

If you do get 5100s without aftermarket springs, you should remove your spacers and use the 5100s to preload your stock springs instead.

Ok thanks! My bumper is a Brute Force and only weighs about 90 lbs. I don't have or plan on adding a winch so are the 886's really needed? Seems like it would only be an extra 70-80lbs on the front after removing the stock bumper. I didn't notice any sag on the front after putting the bumper on either so I'd thought about just buying a set of 4 5100's, and doing the front and rear for now. I have AAL in the rear, and want to go to a new leaf pack at some point.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:48 AM   #305
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
Ok thanks! My bumper is a Brute Force and only weighs about 90 lbs. I don't have or plan on adding a winch so are the 886's really needed? Seems like it would only be an extra 70-80lbs on the front after removing the stock bumper. I didn't notice any sag on the front after putting the bumper on either so I'd thought about just buying a set of 4 5100's, and doing the front and rear for now. I have AAL in the rear, and want to go to a new leaf pack at some point.
If you didn't get any sag with the bumper then you should be good to go with the stock springs (assuming they aren't worn out) out the 885's. If that sags too much, there are some folks on here running the 885's with the billys at 0.85", though it's not technically recommended.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:03 AM   #306
Devout Atheist

Quote:
If you didn't get any sag with the bumper then you should be good to go with the stock springs (assuming they aren't worn out) out the 885's. If that sags too much, there are some folks on here running the 885's with the billys at 0.85", though it's not technically recommended.
Cool. Thanks. Guess I'll order them and see how it goes.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #307
JohnnyBlazin44 is on a distinguished road

JohnnyBlazin44's Tacoma Gallery
Can I put a 1.5 add a leaf with out aftermarket shocks ??
Old 08-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #308
Sgtfluffy16 is on a distinguished road

Name: Corey
Sgtfluffy16's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Sgtfluffy16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBlazin44 View Post

maybe?, maybe not? depends in how much your factory leafs are already sagged. All you can do is put it on and try it out. if you feel your shocks bottoming out then you need new rear shocks
Old 08-23-2012, 02:50 PM   #309
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
1.5" is about as high as I'd go with the stock shocks. Any more and you will top them out and break them. Just be aware the ride will suffer with the AAL and stock shock dampening.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #310
JohnnyBlazin44 is on a distinguished road

JohnnyBlazin44's Tacoma Gallery
kk ill get billies iam on a tight budget LOL
Old 08-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #311
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
kk ill get billies iam on a tight budget LOL
1.5" is about the max for 5100s too, as per dsm
Old 09-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #312
EWhitman11 is on a distinguished road
Name: Eli
EWhitman11's Tacoma Gallery
Few questions guys. I have got the toytec coilover kit with bilsteins upfront and a 2" shackle lift in the back. I havent changed my bilsteins ride height and it matches pretty well with the shackles in back. I am considering lifting it more. Is there a rear shock that allows for more than a 2 inch lift? On the ones im reading it says works perfect with up to a 2.4 inch lift. I am wanting to do some AAL's in the rear along with my shackles. Is this a good idea? What shocks works with the 4 or so inches of lift? Would my adjustable set up in front be able to match 4 inches in the back? Thanks!
Old 09-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #313
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWhitman11 View Post
Few questions guys. I have got the toytec coilover kit with bilsteins upfront and a 2" shackle lift in the back. I havent changed my bilsteins ride height and it matches pretty well with the shackles in back. I am considering lifting it more. Is there a rear shock that allows for more than a 2 inch lift? On the ones im reading it says works perfect with up to a 2.4 inch lift. I am wanting to do some AAL's in the rear along with my shackles. Is this a good idea? What shocks works with the 4 or so inches of lift? Would my adjustable set up in front be able to match 4 inches in the back? Thanks!
Bilstein 5125's come in custom lengths for the rear. You can't lift the front more than 3" without a drop bracket or sas.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #314
Heepspo is on a distinguished road

Army: Veteran
Name: Jason
Heepspo's Tacoma Gallery
2006 DBL Cab TRD Offroad

Just read this whole thread... great info!

Ok...
So if I get 5100's all around, stick with my stock springs (front and rear) BUT ONLY WANT TO LEVEL MY TRUCK (NO lift in the rear), what setting would I put the front 5100's at? I've seen various numbers in different threads.

Thanks in advance
Old 09-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #315
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heepspo View Post
Just read this whole thread... great info!

Ok...
So if I get 5100's all around, stick with my stock springs (front and rear) BUT ONLY WANT TO LEVEL MY TRUCK (NO lift in the rear), what setting would I put the front 5100's at? I've seen various numbers in different threads.

Thanks in advance
No tsb? 0.85"
Old 09-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #316
Heepspo is on a distinguished road

Army: Veteran
Name: Jason
Heepspo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No tsb? 0.85"
Yes, no tsb... so .85!
Thanks for your response.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:25 PM   #317
shit happens then you die
jobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Josh
jobrien's Tacoma Gallery
What specs are you guys running for the springs on billies
Old 09-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #318
"We have assumed control"
beachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matti
beachingtaco's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd
Old 10-04-2012, 06:07 AM   #319
figaroni is on a distinguished road
figaroni's Tacoma Gallery
Hi guys, im new here and to the truck world and was reading this over due to me wanting level out the front of my 04 TRD Prerunner. I bought it used with 107K earlier this year and it rides well. I really DONT want to make my ride hard and uber stiff so i see that coilovers are the way to go? I just want to verify before i buy. Is it true that ALL Coilovers are adjustable? Ive been seeing that Icon gives the best ride on road (75% of my driving) but cant see anywhere about them being adjustable. All i see is it just days "will clear 33" tires". I dont want 33"s, maybe 265/75s down the road. Thanks for any and all replies.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:12 AM   #320
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by figaroni View Post
Hi guys, im new here and to the truck world and was reading this over due to me wanting level out the front of my 04 TRD Prerunner. I bought it used with 107K earlier this year and it rides well. I really DONT want to make my ride hard and uber stiff so i see that coilovers are the way to go? I just want to verify before i buy. Is it true that ALL Coilovers are adjustable? Ive been seeing that Icon gives the best ride on road (75% of my driving) but cant see anywhere about them being adjustable. All i see is it just days "will clear 33" tires". I dont want 33"s, maybe 265/75s down the road. Thanks for any and all replies.
Not all coilovers are adjustable. The term "coilover" refers to an assembly where the spring envelopes the shock body, rather than the springs and shocks being mounted in independent locations (like a jeep for instance).

That being said, Icon coilovers are indeed adjustable, and are an excellent choice for a high-quality 3" lift.

Products Discussed in this Thread