Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Tacoma Lift FAQ/Guide - READ THIS

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-16-2008, 10:04 PM   #21
CJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to behold
Army: RN-Army Reserve 66H
Name: Clint
CJH9980's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, I think I get it...the advantag to the coilovers is purely ease of install, but they cost a hell of a lot more.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:34 PM   #22
skierpunk is on a distinguished road
skierpunk's Tacoma Gallery
I've installed at 3" revtek lift. Since I only have about 1" of travel will installing new shocks with more travel improve my ride qualty?
Old 11-20-2008, 09:37 PM   #23
awoit will become famous soon enough

awoit's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to awoit
hi im a little confused about the shocks when doing the 3" AAL lift. If i get leafs in the back and the 884 or 885, i understand i cant get the bilstien 5100's. Does bilstien make a good shock you recommend? and if i get the coils do i even need to upgrade my shocks? srry is this is a newb question but theres so many different answers on taco world.

My other question is what do they mean when they say 885 is for a heavier load? and if i get the 885 does that mean i need to get something else to help hold the load?
Old 11-20-2008, 10:10 PM   #24
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by awoit View Post
hi im a little confused about the shocks when doing the 3" AAL lift. If i get leafs in the back and the 884 or 885, i understand i cant get the bilstien 5100's. Does bilstien make a good shock you recommend? and if i get the coils do i even need to upgrade my shocks? srry is this is a newb question but theres so many different answers on taco world.

My other question is what do they mean when they say 885 is for a heavier load? and if i get the 885 does that mean i need to get something else to help hold the load?
Just a clarification, the OME coils are for the front and the AAL is for the rear. That being said, you *can* get the 5100s to run with the 884/885 coils but you would have to set them at the stock setting. However, the OME shocks are better suited for the 884/885s because they are valved for those springs. You would get a better ride out of them. They are a little more expensive, but there are a lot of people on this site that run the OME coils and Bilstein shocks...

Do you NEED to upgrade your shocks with those coils? I don't think you have to, but it is recommended.

From what I've heard around this site, you should get the 885s if you have a double cab. Otherwise, the 884s will work fine.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-21-2008, 12:05 AM   #25
awoit will become famous soon enough

awoit's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to awoit
k i just wanted to clarify that the OME shocks your talking about that gives a great ride are the ones on this link right?? http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=53

and do i need to change the shocks in the rear for any reason?

i just want to make sure i get everything right before i make my christmas list
Old 11-21-2008, 06:51 AM   #26
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
k i just wanted to clarify that the OME shocks your talking about that gives a great ride are the ones on this link right?? http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=53

I think that's them, but I'm not too well versed on the specific OME shocks, but talk to Chris4x4. He raves about the OME coils and shocks on the front.

Also, you don't need to replace the rear. You'll just get a better ride if you do. Chris is running the 885 coils and OME shocks on the front and the 5100s in the rear. He says the 5100s in the rear ride SO much better than stock. I lifted my front with 5100s and the adjustable coilovers from ToyTec, but haven't done anything to the rear yet. I have the AAL and 5100s, I just haven't put them on yet.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:13 PM   #27
Ultimate Member
SLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to behold

SLOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Question,
When I put my lift on I'm going to put on new uca's however, I've looked at how to change them out, and it looks like a pain in the ass. There is one long bolt holding them in, and it looks like if you try to back it out it will hit the body. Anyone have any experience with this aspect of lift installation. I'm sure I can handle everything else, I just don't want to star tearing things apart to get to that point and realize its damn near impossible.
Thanks
Old 12-09-2008, 01:31 AM   #28
HILOTOY
HILOTOY will become famous soon enoughHILOTOY will become famous soon enough

HILOTOY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

After checking around and getting some advice from some members, I went with the ome 885s and ome shocks all around. Really feels like a truck now, but not too stiff. Shocks work well with coils and front height is 38.25 in. now. (running 265/16..31 in.tire) with the aal and ome 182s the back, the height is 39.25 in w/ no load....love this setup
Old 12-09-2008, 01:35 AM   #29
HILOTOY
HILOTOY will become famous soon enoughHILOTOY will become famous soon enough

HILOTOY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOTaco View Post
Question,
When I put my lift on I'm going to put on new uca's however, I've looked at how to change them out, and it looks like a pain in the ass. There is one long bolt holding them in, and it looks like if you try to back it out it will hit the body. Anyone have any experience with this aspect of lift installation. I'm sure I can handle everything else, I just don't want to star tearing things apart to get to that point and realize its damn near impossible.
Thanks

you gotta bend the inner wall a bit to clear the bolt........ look for toku's write up in mod section
Old 12-09-2008, 06:39 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILOTOY View Post
you gotta bend the inner wall a bit to clear the bolt........ look for toku's write up in mod section
+1. It was a pain, but definitely doable. Just take your time.

You do need to bend the inner wall out some, but don't worry about it. Just get some pliers with long teeth or something. All I had was a cresent wrench and I had a little tougher time with it than if I would have had something a little longer.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:40 AM   #31
Ultimate Member
SLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to behold

SLOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HILOTOY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTaco View Post

You do need to bend the inner wall out some, but don't worry about it. Just get some pliers with long teeth or something. All I had was a cresent wrench and I had a little tougher time with it than if I would have had something a little longer.
thanks for the info guys, it'll be a couple months but I'll probably post step by step pics when I do it.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:58 PM   #32
MurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Air Traffic Control
Name: I HATE SPICYTACOS
MurphyZ's Tacoma Gallery
toytec is a good lift from what people say but what about the ez-lift with the diff lowering kit and 1" block for the back? 189.00 for the 05-07 model on the V6.

what else would i have to do to it to lift it? shocks? brake lines? UCA? i know i have to do a Front end alignment but just wonderin what else you had to do with a strut lift kit.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:36 PM   #33
sdTACOmaniac is on a distinguished road

sdTACOmaniac's Tacoma Gallery
leveling kit?

i want to lift my front end to level or lift a little more than the rear .. what is the best way , but won t cost me alot ? spacers ?
Old 01-15-2009, 11:59 AM   #34
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
^^
yup... although not the greatest thing in the world...
Old 01-17-2009, 05:43 PM   #35
headhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

headhunter247's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTaco View Post

Ok, it sounds like you have done your homework. Here a question..so if I were to buy coilovers...do I need to get new upper control arms to fit the 33s? Im kinda new to the whole suspension thing. I really dont want to have to buy those unless they are needed...can someone clarify?
Old 01-17-2009, 06:13 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisboytacoma24 View Post
Ok, it sounds like you have done your homework. Here a question..so if I were to buy coilovers...do I need to get new upper control arms to fit the 33s? Im kinda new to the whole suspension thing. I really dont want to have to buy those unless they are needed...can someone clarify?
You need new UCAs to correct alignment issues if you lift it 3". The stock UCAs just can't be adjusted far enough. They can get it close, but not to spec.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:12 PM   #37
triton240 is on a distinguished road
triton240's Tacoma Gallery
Revtek 3" Lift

Should i go with just the block or with the add a leaf?
Old 02-04-2009, 06:27 PM   #38
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by triton240 View Post
should i go with just the block or with the add a leaf?
aal
Old 02-15-2009, 10:17 AM   #40
The Savage
Tikibeast is on a distinguished road
Tikibeast's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Tikibeast Send a message via Yahoo to Tikibeast
I'm a little short on time so I'm posting this without reading all the way through, please forgive me. I'm looking for a suspension adjustment/modification series that will allow for a more open desert style of driving (ala Baja 250 if you will) not to the same extent they go but something that can take some bouncing and a jump here or there if I happen to catch air unexpectedly. I know I need more than just the 5100's per say but I don't really know where to start. This is my first offroad build on a truck.

Secondary item what is the largest tire one can fit on the stock 16" rims without worrying about tire rub during tight turns? Eyeballing 245/75/16's vs 265/70/16's...

Products Discussed in this Thread