Tacoma Lift FAQ/Guide - READ THIS

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-11-2009, 08:33 PM   #41
ecsman88 is on a distinguished road
ecsman88's Tacoma Gallery
this thread is bitchin
Old 05-31-2009, 11:00 AM   #42
Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!
KenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ヽ(`Д´)ノ
KenpachiZaraki's Tacoma Gallery
What the funk?

Ive read through this thread many a time over and over, and i'm still confused. This is my first 4x4 and looking to get the best lift for the dollar. clicked on links looked at other peoples rides. geez, there's just so much you can do. what about the ebay 3" lifts? those seem to be fairly priced albeit the brand. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...Q5fAccessories

just looking at my options, this is what i first came across, as i was trying not to make the wifey mad at my spending. all it is is a spring spacer and aal? would buying this make me half a badass? I'm just trying to get ideas. seems like lifts are a topic of major confusion
Old 05-31-2009, 02:06 PM   #43
HILOTOY
HILOTOY will become famous soon enoughHILOTOY will become famous soon enough

HILOTOY's Tacoma Gallery
the spacer lift is not bad if you are on a budget. 3" of lift will change driveline angle (diff drop) and the aal will level out the back. Ride would be stiffer, less travel on front. you might have some alignment issues with stock UCA's, but should be okay. When I did my 3" lift, I looked at a lot of applications before buying.......you don't want to buy something you will change a year later......just my 5 cents, adjusted for inflation
Old 06-02-2009, 02:19 AM   #44
Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!
KenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ヽ(`Д´)ノ
KenpachiZaraki's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Hilotoy, yea, thats what i figured, guess it's worth saving a bit more to get something good. I'm going to be sure to get UCA's, and shims if i do a lift. Damn, this gets expensive after a while.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILOTOY View Post
the spacer lift is not bad if you are on a budget. 3" of lift will change driveline angle (diff drop) and the aal will level out the back. Ride would be stiffer, less travel on front. you might have some alignment issues with stock UCA's, but should be okay. When I did my 3" lift, I looked at a lot of applications before buying.......you don't want to buy something you will change a year later......just my 5 cents, adjusted for inflation
Old 06-03-2009, 02:26 AM   #45
HILOTOY

HILOTOY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenpachiZaraki View Post
Thanks Hilotoy, yea, thats what i figured, guess it's worth saving a bit more to get something good. I'm going to be sure to get UCA's, and shims if i do a lift. Damn, this gets expensive after a while.....

yea, it does, so you want the best bang for the buck check out toyteclifts.com and wheelersoffroad.com, also watch for group buys, good luck and post some pics when you're done
Old 06-03-2009, 02:32 AM   #46
Rigger, Please
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (2T2X1)Air Force Rigger
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome Info.. Def worthy of a Sticky
Old 06-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #47
Batman
airsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
airsoft_warrior's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to airsoft_warrior
Does the TSB give any lift for the rear and how much?
Old 06-11-2009, 03:45 PM   #48
Sarah16
Sarah16 is on a distinguished road
Sarah16's Tacoma Gallery
Alright guys, I just got my tacoma less than 6 months ago. I'm planning on getting a lift but not until I need new tires anyways, and then I am just going to go for the whole "shebang". I have a couple questions that I do need answered and I hope you guys can help. This is my first truck/suspension and I don't want to get thrown for a loop by the mechanics, I also don't want to have any problems later on. I hope these questions aren't so stupid they make you all laugh out loud.
I am not going to install the lift myself, but take it to the service department at the toyota dealership. I do want a 3" lift, and new tires/rims.
1.) Do you think this is the right place to go?
2.) What questions should I ask of the mechanic?
3.)Is there anything I should watch for that most mechanic's won't do when putting in a lift?
Any help would be great. Thanks!
Old 07-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #49
shockittillyareconizeit is a name known to allshockittillyareconizeit is a name known to allshockittillyareconizeit is a name known to allshockittillyareconizeit is a name known to allshockittillyareconizeit is a name known to allshockittillyareconizeit is a name known to all
Name: Dustin
shockittillyareconizeit's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, i've been looking at the camburg 4 spindles for some added lift but i can't find anything on if i need to have a particular rim size to clear it or what. i have found that the most back spacing you can have is 4.5, but other than that, i haven't found anything. Does anyone know if i need a certain rim size, or does is not matter, just the back spacing?
Old 07-30-2009, 03:07 PM   #50
theyotathatis is on a distinguished road

theyotathatis's Tacoma Gallery
0-3.5 lift

4 wheel parts (AZ) quoted me $1131.24 for the Fab-Tech basic coilover system that includes AAL w/ installation and alignment. This is my first time doing this but I'm finding the option almost endless. My other idea is to have my stock leaf springs resprung (they would add a leaf) this would cost $350 + tax. Then add either std shocks or coilovers (inexpensive) and be done with it. Besides the re-spring can a non-tech guy like me install std shocks or coilovers? Also, with these items installed should I install air-bags for towing. If I installed the shocks myself I could actually upgrade the shock quality. Then all I have to do is an alignment (by others). Help!
Old 08-06-2009, 11:06 PM   #51
slick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Security Forces, 2002-2005
slick_711's Tacoma Gallery
I have what's probably a very silly question... but I simply don't know the answer.

When referring to suspension lifts... say a 3" lift. Is that a 3" lift no matter what it's put on? I have an '09 TRD Off Road. It seems to be at least a few inches higher than stock SR5 already. Will a 3" lift raise it 3" or would it be replacing parts that are already say 1-2" of lift? I don't know how to better phrase the question, sorry.

I'm not looking to do anything real soon either way, but down the line in a year or two when I've saved up some cash I'd like to maybe lift it a tad more. Can't help but be curious now. It sits pretty well already though, I'm stoked with my new truck.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:26 PM   #52
slick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Security Forces, 2002-2005
slick_711's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krookz View Post
Generally if its a spacer lift, its going to add onto what you have now. If its coils in the front, they are adjustable within some extent, so you can set it where you'd like.
Well I don't think I'd do spacers. I'm thinking actual suspension lift. That does help me better understand a bit though. Thanks!
Old 08-13-2009, 05:20 PM   #53
Peternorth is on a distinguished road
Name: Alberto
Peternorth's Tacoma Gallery
Hi, my name is Alberto Garcia and I have a 98 Toyota Tacoma 4x4. I wanted to know if you could recommend me something for my front end suspension. What I was looking for is to lift my truck up 3 inches without costing me an arm and a leg. What would you recommend, coilovers or spacers? I just want to purchase something that is easy to install.
Thanks for your time,
Alberto
Old 08-13-2009, 05:22 PM   #54
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peternorth View Post
Hi, my name is Alberto Garcia and I have a 98 Toyota Tacoma 4x4. I wanted to know if you could recommend me something for my front end suspension. What I was looking for is to lift my truck up 3 inches without costing me an arm and a leg. What would you recommend, coilovers or spacers? I just want to purchase something that is easy to install.
Thanks for your time,
Alberto
Welcome to TW! Check into an Old Man Emu lift.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:27 AM   #55
Peternorth is on a distinguished road
Name: Alberto
Peternorth's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Chris 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Welcome to TW! Check into an Old Man Emu lift.
Thanks Chris 4x4
Old 10-10-2009, 06:42 PM   #56
Seasoned Newbie
poff1986 will become famous soon enoughpoff1986 will become famous soon enough

Name: Brad
poff1986's Tacoma Gallery
I hope im not posting this in the wrong place or missing it somewhere on the site...but does anyone know what is the max lift you could do before you need a diff lowering kit??
I think thats what its called. sorry, new to the whole truck thing. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:04 AM   #57
HPaap72 is on a distinguished road
HPaap72's Tacoma Gallery
and a dever is what????
Old 10-31-2009, 12:15 AM   #58
HILOTOY

HILOTOY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPaap72 View Post
and a dever is what????

leaf springs
Old 12-01-2009, 02:25 PM   #59
HPaap72 is on a distinguished road
HPaap72's Tacoma Gallery
some questions, im not trying to drop a ton of money all at once and want to do things one by one. im looking at
camburg 2.5s
UCA's from TC or even camburg
AAL (any suggestions as to best choice)
and prolly some billies in the rear unless someone thinks there is a better choice
i might do spacers in the front but thats last on the list

is there a specific way i should go about piecing this package together. such as the coil overs first or UCA's.
im pretty anxious and dont want to make a poor choice.

it would be going on a 01 taco 4x4 trd.

cheers
Old 12-08-2009, 12:23 AM   #60
elliott.estes is a splendid one to beholdelliott.estes is a splendid one to beholdelliott.estes is a splendid one to beholdelliott.estes is a splendid one to beholdelliott.estes is a splendid one to beholdelliott.estes is a splendid one to beholdelliott.estes is a splendid one to behold

elliott.estes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to elliott.estes
Thanks for the information, it has been very informative. I have been a member on this forum for almost a year, but I mainly just read because I want to learn more. I want to put a 3" lift on my truck, but still a little confused on which lift I should get.

After reading many posts, it seems like the Bilstein 5100's for the front and the AAL's for the rear would be my best choice. I also want to add 285's as well. But I was looking for some advice.

I have a 07 TRD Sport 2wd. I drive about 90% city/ freeway and would like to do some off road but nothing to crazy.

Thanks

Products Discussed in this Thread