Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Tacoma Lift FAQ/Guide - READ THIS

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-28-2013, 10:09 PM   #621
Newlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Newlife's Tacoma Gallery
Will the spacers damage anything say if I run them for a little while until say December or January?

and for the front only would I need the 2" or 3" spacers?
Old 06-29-2013, 06:30 AM   #622
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
Name: Chris
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newlife View Post
Will the spacers damage anything say if I run them for a little while until say December or January?

and for the front only would I need the 2" or 3" spacers?
Spacers won't cause any damage so long as you don't thrash the truck (aggressive off roading, speeds bumps at 50mph, etc).

Because of the geometry a 1/2" spacer will net 3/4 to 1" of lift.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #624
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
So.... on a stock 2010 double cab pre runner. I would need 2" or 3" spacers
I don't recommend giant spacer lifts. If anything get a reputable coilover. The adjustable Billies go up to 2.5 or 2.75", then you may need a small spacer on top of that. What are your long term plans? PreRunners have a spindle lift available which you should look into.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:39 PM   #625
Newlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Newlife's Tacoma Gallery
Literally just to level the front to the rear. I measured from the ground to the bottom of the fenders and its looking right at 2.75" to get the front even.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #626

Quote:
Literally just to level the front to the rear. I measured from the ground to the bottom of the fenders and its looking right at 2.75" to get the front even.
Yeah, too much spacer. Get a coilover, or a full OME setup in the front.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #627
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So.... on a stock 2010 double cab pre runner. I would need 2" or 3" spacers
You seem to be running in circles. Adding spacers can mean different things. If you want 2"-3" of lift up front, you probably aren't going to be using 2"-3" spacers.

If you're trying to level the truck front to rear, get the rear end at whatever height you want it, then measure how much lift the front will require to level it. Once you know that, and know how much weight you plan to carry (sliders, skids, bumpers, winch, etc.), you can figure out exactly what you'll need to do (springs, shocks, spacers, UCAs) to lift the front the appropriate amount. You can work the other direction (front-then-rear) if you want, too.

As far as what you use to accomplish the lift, that has a lot to do with your budget and intended uses for the truck. An OME or Bilstein kit works for many people, but there are other options.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #628

Newlife's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2012-To...c75cd5&vxp=mtr

Maybe I am not saying this right because I don't understand why they sell these all over and so many youtube videos on them.. ( i know youtube isn't always the right answer)

But these were what I was looking at.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:02 PM   #629
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2012-To...c75cd5&vxp=mtr

Maybe I am not saying this right because I don't understand why they sell these all over and so many youtube videos on them.. ( i know youtube isn't always the right answer)

But these were what I was looking at.
From that ebay page:
"**Front 3" represents lift amount, NOT the spacer thickness." Those aren't 3" spacers, they're spacers that provide 3" of lift. Make sense?
Old 06-30-2013, 10:09 PM   #630

Newlife's Tacoma Gallery
correct and that is why I said I think I was messing up when describing. So will these be good to level the front up? I see these then I see the same thing that are 3" and a 1" raise for the back.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #631
SkottK62 is on a distinguished road
SkottK62's Tacoma Gallery
I looked in the FAQ but didnt see it so my question is if I do a 3" suspension lift does that void the warrnty on a Tacoma? I have a 2014 on order and considering a 3" lift and some Duratracs and wondering if I should wait for the 3 year warranty to elaspse or not. I'm going to assume the 2014 is pretty much the same as the 2013 since no major changes are expected so probably same exact process and hardware for the lift itself.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #632
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkottK62 View Post
I looked in the FAQ but didnt see it so my question is if I do a 3" suspension lift does that void the warrnty on a Tacoma? I have a 2014 on order and considering a 3" lift and some Duratracs and wondering if I should wait for the 3 year warranty to elaspse or not. I'm going to assume the 2014 is pretty much the same as the 2013 since no major changes are expected so probably same exact process and hardware for the lift itself.
The actual suspension won't be covered by the warranty and if they can prove the lift caused whatever issue you're having they won't cover it either. In general, you shouldn't have too many problems with warranty though.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #634

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
The actual suspension won't be covered by the warranty and if they can prove the lift caused whatever issue you're having they won't cover it either. In general, you shouldn't have too many problems with warranty though.
My dealership douched out and wouldn't inspect it because "they didn't install the lift." Buncha shitty techs mad because I did my own work. This last free oil change will be the last they see of me. Last guy who rotated my tires was so inept he couldn't figure out to use a deepwell socket to get the lugs off.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #635
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw10tacoma View Post
got my ome 3inch lift in the mail today hopefully getting some of it done this weekend and finishing during the week!!
Sweet! Good luck. Post up some pics when you're done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTA LOVER View Post
My dealership douched out and wouldn't inspect it because "they didn't install the lift." Buncha shitty techs mad because I did my own work. This last free oil change will be the last they see of me. Last guy who rotated my tires was so inept he couldn't figure out to use a deepwell socket to get the lugs off.
That's pretty lame. I've never used a dealership for inspection anyway, so I'm not worried about that. I've also been a hard head and haven't used a single one of the free oil changes. I used synthetic so I'd have to bring my own oil anyway. Not worth the trip or time when I have to buy the oil myself. Great thing about these trucks is you don't even need a jack to change the oil. Very easy. Discount tire does my rotations.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #636
Three Tacomas Deep
ScudRunner is on a distinguished road

Name: Erik
ScudRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Question 5100s and AAL

I'll ask a question here, since there's no sense starting a new thread. Flame away if there's a better thread started that I can refer to instead!

I have a 2007 TRD off road. The TSB leaf was refused by Toyota since it was out of warranty. So, I started with three leaves in the rear. My aim is to level my Taco, or leave it slightly nose down.
  • So, I ordered the 2" AAL from ToyTec and put it in.
  • I ordered 5100s for all for corners. I put the rear 5100s in today, and will tackle the fronts in a week or two (leaving some time for the AAL and rear 5100s to settle).
  • Currently, the height from front hub to the bottom of the wheel well is 20-1/2".
  • The height from the rear hub to the bottom of the wheel well is 24-1/4".

So, to level my Taco, I need about 4" in the front, but the 5100s will only give me 2" at most.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #637

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScudRunner View Post
I'll ask a question here, since there's no sense starting a new thread. Flame away if there's a better thread started that I can refer to instead!

I have a 2007 TRD off road. The TSB leaf was refused by Toyota since it was out of warranty. So, I started with three leaves in the rear. My aim is to level my Taco, or leave it slightly nose down.
  • So, I ordered the 2" AAL from ToyTec and put it in.
  • I ordered 5100s for all for corners. I put the rear 5100s in today, and will tackle the fronts in a week or two (leaving some time for the AAL and rear 5100s to settle).
  • Currently, the height from front hub to the bottom of the wheel well is 20-1/2".
  • The height from the rear hub to the bottom of the wheel well is 24-1/4".

So, to level my Taco, I need about 4" in the front, but the 5100s will only give me 2" at most.

Any suggestions?
You could crank the 5100 up to 2.5 but you're going to have a pretty rough ride, and you'll still be short. I would suggest getting some OME 885 springs if you have a double cab and adding some 1/2" top plate spacers as well. That'll give you about 3" of lift and leave you with the stock rake (nose down). You're probably going to need new upper control arms too through if you put that much lift in the front.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #638
Three Tacomas Deep
ScudRunner is on a distinguished road

Name: Erik
ScudRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You could crank the 5100 up to 2.5 but you're going to have a pretty rough ride, and you'll still be short. I would suggest getting some OME 885 springs if you have a double cab and adding some 1/2" top plate spacers as well. That'll give you about 3" of lift and leave you with the stock rake (nose down). You're probably going to need new upper control arms too through if you put that much lift in the front.
It's an extra-cab. Not a double. What would be the reason for a different setup between those two cabs? What springs for an extra cab?

I'm a bit surprised how much the rear came up with the 2" AAL, but I guess it makes sense - it was a 2" kit after all.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #639

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScudRunner View Post
It's an extra-cab. Not a double. What would be the reason for a different setup between those two cabs? What springs for an extra cab?

I'm a bit surprised how much the rear came up with the 2" AAL, but I guess it makes sense - it was a 2" kit after all.
884 springs are suggested for regular and access cabs. You could go with 885s, would give you a little more lift.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #640

Quote:
884 springs are suggested for regular and access cabs. You could go with 885s, would give you a little more lift.
^this. You do not want to go over 3", you'll start destroying front end components like the CVs and ball joints.

Products Discussed in this Thread