Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Tacoma Lift FAQ/Guide - READ THIS

Old 07-22-2013, 06:19 AM   #641
Three Tacomas Deep
ScudRunner is on a distinguished road

Name: Erik
ScudRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies, everyone. This is very helpful.

The OP states:

Quote:
Bilstien 5100's This is a great affordable lift kit. These replacement shocks are great to add a few inches to the front of your Tacoma, it is adjustable and have a slightly better valving system than the stock shocks that come with the Tacoma's. (But please take note NO One recommends it to be used in conjunction with after market coils) This may result in damage of your suspension components.
If I slip a pair of 885s over the 5100s, what side effects can I expect?
Old 07-22-2013, 06:31 AM   #642
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
Name: Chris
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScudRunner View Post
Thanks for the replies, everyone. This is very helpful.

The OP states:

If I slip a pair of 885s over the 5100s, what side effects can I expect?
You mentioned doing UCAs, so none.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:37 AM   #643
Three Tacomas Deep

Got it.

So, I can jack the 5100s up and accept the slant as it is, or coil some 885s over them and replace the UCAs.

Tacoma... meet wallet!
Old 07-22-2013, 06:43 AM   #644
ToyTacosRule has a spectacular aura aboutToyTacosRule has a spectacular aura aboutToyTacosRule has a spectacular aura about
Name: Dane
ToyTacosRule's Tacoma Gallery
OME Leaf Springs

I made a post asking for this but never got a good response.

I have a 2000 Toyota Tacoma SR5 that I am planning on putting OME Leaf Springs on.

Most I have seen talk about the leaf spring have gotten 2-2.5 inches of lift out of them.

My Tacoma I believe is still on the original leafs at 285k miles (I have owned it since 210k and have had no troubles with the leafs till now). The problem now as easily understood with 285k miles on the leafs are that the leafs have a negative bow. I would like to see a picture of someones Gen 1 Tacoma with the OME Leafs on them, as well as how much lift they received so I can kind of gauge how high the rear of my truck will be.

Also if I get these leafs what else do I need to get to accomodate? (Ex. extended brake lines, muffler bracket, etc.). Thanks
Old 07-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #645
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScudRunner View Post
Got it.

So, I can jack the 5100s up and accept the slant as it is, or coil some 885s over them and replace the UCAs.

Tacoma... meet wallet!
You could just do a complete OME install on all four corners for about $1200. That's about as solid a 3" lift you'll find anywhere.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:21 AM   #646
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyTacosRule View Post
I made a post asking for this but never got a good response.

I have a 2000 Toyota Tacoma SR5 that I am planning on putting OME Leaf Springs on.

Most I have seen talk about the leaf spring have gotten 2-2.5 inches of lift out of them.

My Tacoma I believe is still on the original leafs at 285k miles (I have owned it since 210k and have had no troubles with the leafs till now). The problem now as easily understood with 285k miles on the leafs are that the leafs have a negative bow. I would like to see a picture of someones Gen 1 Tacoma with the OME Leafs on them, as well as how much lift they received so I can kind of gauge how high the rear of my truck will be.

Also if I get these leafs what else do I need to get to accomodate? (Ex. extended brake lines, muffler bracket, etc.). Thanks
I think the problem is that there's not many 1st gen folks in this thread. You might want to try in the first gen forum. On a 2nd you get about 2.5" of lift from the original, stock height. If you're drooping from strained leafs, you'll get more. You don't HAVE to get extended brake lines on a 2nd gen but it's recommended.....you're pushing the limits of the stock lines with these leafs.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:57 AM   #647
Three Tacomas Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTA LOVER View Post
You could just do a complete OME install on all four corners for about $1200. That's about as solid a 3" lift you'll find anywhere.
Will have to start looking into this, eventually. Thanks again for the help.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #648
Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends
monkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Signal Corps
monkeyface's Tacoma Gallery
I've been reading around on this awesome forum, and what I'm interested in is extended travel shocks for the rear end. I don't need more than 2" of lift. What I need is wheel travel. It's the rear I want to upgrade with an AAL added to my stock 4-leaf pack (5th leaf - 1.5").

From what I've seen, for rear shocks the Bilstein 5160's extended travel at 27" is the best on the market. Anybody know how OME shocks compare for extended travel? ICON's from what I've seen have 24" extended length. King shocks have some extended travel like 28", but the compressed length would require bump stops.

Also, what about extended rear shackles for the 2nd Gen? Does that get you some more wheel travel? And do you need extended travel shocks? OZ posted something about these dropshackles http://www.definedengineering.com/products.html

Anybody use them?

I'm not worried too much about the front end, there's a ton of options for 2" of lift that doesn't require new UCA's or a diff drop, or CV problems, or alignment problems. It's the rear end I'm still trying to sort out all the options.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #649
skabarbro is on a distinguished road

Name: Aaron
skabarbro's Tacoma Gallery
i'm looking to get 3" with a diff drop for my 08 Tacoma TRD Off Road. It has 69k miles and i figure i might as well get one that includes shocks. my budget is 1k range. any suggestions?

this will be 80-90 percent on street.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #650

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyface View Post
I've been reading around on this awesome forum, and what I'm interested in is extended travel shocks for the rear end. I don't need more than 2" of lift. What I need is wheel travel. It's the rear I want to upgrade with an AAL added to my stock 4-leaf pack (5th leaf - 1.5").

From what I've seen, for rear shocks the Bilstein 5160's extended travel at 27" is the best on the market. Anybody know how OME shocks compare for extended travel? ICON's from what I've seen have 24" extended length. King shocks have some extended travel like 28", but the compressed length would require bump stops.

Also, what about extended rear shackles for the 2nd Gen? Does that get you some more wheel travel? And do you need extended travel shocks? OZ posted something about these dropshackles http://www.definedengineering.com/products.html

Anybody use them?

I'm not worried too much about the front end, there's a ton of options for 2" of lift that doesn't require new UCA's or a diff drop, or CV problems, or alignment problems. It's the rear end I'm still trying to sort out all the options.
I'm going to install those shackles when I do a shackle flip, using the stock length. But only because they are a superior shackle.

If you use extended shackles you will lose lift if you've got a gen 2 (sorry, I'm using the phone and can't see what year you have).

The best way to determine the proper shock length is to flex and measure (with the shocks removed) after you've installed the springs. If your new springs give you 1.5-2" of lift you can afford to leave them on the truck until your new ones come in. Then swap them for the new ones you measured for.

OME shocks are valved to run with Dakars (generally 3" of lift on their stiffer leaf pack), so they may not give you the ride you want. Billies will do well, as will Icons. The important part is your measurements fully extended and fully stuffed.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #651

Quote:
Originally Posted by skabarbro View Post
i'm looking to get 3" with a diff drop for my 08 Tacoma TRD Off Road. It has 69k miles and i figure i might as well get one that includes shocks. my budget is 1k range. any suggestions?

this will be 80-90 percent on street.
Full OME setup. 885s up front with 1/4" top plate spacer and Dakars out back. Nitro chargers. CB drop. Skip the diff drop, you won't need it.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #652
thewallane is on a distinguished road

thewallane's Tacoma Gallery
subd
Old 07-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #653
ToyTac 94566 is on a distinguished road

ToyTac 94566's Tacoma Gallery
Installation?

Can someone direct me to a post on reputable shops that can do the lift for me (i.e. not void warranty, etc.), particularly in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay). I don't have the workspace, buddies who can help, etc., so I'll need to shop it out. Thanks!
Old 07-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #654

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyTac 94566 View Post
Can someone direct me to a post on reputable shops that can do the lift for me (i.e. not void warranty, etc.), particularly in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay). I don't have the workspace, buddies who can help, etc., so I'll need to shop it out. Thanks!
My dealership would've done mine for $90/hr. wouldn't have voided anything for sure, but that's a different conversation. The dealership is always going to try and skip out on doing warranty work.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:14 PM   #655
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyTac 94566 View Post
You may have better luck in this thread area: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/northern-california/

Better chance of locals responding.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #656
cardinal9 is on a distinguished road
cardinal9's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
For all of you who are looking to lift your truck this faq created by Toku58 on Toyota Nation should be the very first step into your research.

Note: I am not the author of the above quote and am in no way attempting to take credit for Toku's work.
I want to lift my 2013 prerunner off road 3 inches front and back. What lift kit overall would be the best for this?
Old 07-31-2013, 04:41 PM   #657
ryan27 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
ryan27's Tacoma Gallery
bilstein shocks

do you have to jack up your truck to change out rear shocks?
Old 07-31-2013, 05:17 PM   #658
All right. I believe ya. But my Tommy Gun don't!
disc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

disc0monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan27 View Post
No but you need a strong upper body to compress the shocks
Old 07-31-2013, 05:20 PM   #659

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal9 View Post
I want to lift my 2013 prerunner off road 3 inches front and back. What lift kit overall would be the best for this?
We need to know how you intend to use the truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan27 View Post
Not if you can muscle an unsprung shock. You might be better served to lift the truck and remove the tire.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:25 PM   #660
cardinal9 is on a distinguished road
cardinal9's Tacoma Gallery
Around town during the weeks and trips to the beach but off road on weekends hunting and pulling my fishing boat

Products Discussed in this Thread