Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Tacoma Lift FAQ/Guide - READ THIS

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #701
WillO562 is on a distinguished road
WillO562's Tacoma Gallery
any thoughts on the Daystar ComfortRide 2.5 Inch Front Suspension Strut Spacer Kit?
Old 08-27-2013, 04:43 AM   #702
T1no33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT1no33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT1no33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT1no33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT1no33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT1no33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT1no33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT1no33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT1no33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT1no33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT1no33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
T1no33's Tacoma Gallery
I got a spacer lift to keep costs down. I couldnt regret it more. I had no idea how harsh the ride would become. If youre going to do it, do it right and get a suspension lift. Learn from others mistakes.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:51 AM   #703
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T1no33 View Post
I got a spacer lift to keep costs down. I couldnt regret it more. I had no idea how harsh the ride would become. If youre going to do it, do it right and get a suspension lift. Learn from others mistakes.
^truth.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:21 PM   #704
m.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant future

Air Force:
Name: Adam
m.reed.1's Tacoma Gallery
is anyone running OME with 885 on a prerunner 2nd gen?
Old 08-30-2013, 06:15 AM   #705
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.reed.1 View Post
is anyone running OME with 885 on a prerunner 2nd gen?
Ask in this thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...-pictures.html

I'm sure there are plenty of them.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:00 PM   #706
USMCTACOMAKID13 is on a distinguished road
Marines: termanal lance
USMCTACOMAKID13's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy

Ok I'm new to the site and never lifted anything but I'm want to lift my truck for trail riding like"boxrocket" (another guy on the site but idk what the best way to start would be and what kind of lift to go with for the front and rear. I'm on a slight budget. 2000 for the lift. Please help!!!!
Old 09-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #707
gabev14 is on a distinguished road
Army: RSTB
Name: Gabriel
gabev14's Tacoma Gallery
How are rough country lifts? Thinking of putting a lift on my 06 taco, either a 3'' or 4-5'' not sure what I should do? Any suggestions, thanks
Old 09-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #708
Sgtfluffy16 is on a distinguished road

Name: Corey
Sgtfluffy16's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Sgtfluffy16
rough country is junk.. they are cheaper for a reason because they cut corners and don't use good steel.. STAY AWAY from them.. RCD or BDS in my opinion
Old 09-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #709
gabev14 is on a distinguished road
Army: RSTB
Name: Gabriel
gabev14's Tacoma Gallery
What's the deal with coil overs what are they used for? This is my first lift and not entirely sure what to get or what exactly all I need for a good lift?
Old 09-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #710
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabev14 View Post
What's the deal with coil overs what are they used for? This is my first lift and not entirely sure what to get or what exactly all I need for a good lift?
Coil over is just another way to say "strut". The best lifts replace the oem coil over with a better spring and a shock designed to work with it. Adjustable coil overs are very popular in that you can fine tune ride height. Spacers are next, top plate being preferable over the coil spacers.

You'll hear eight million opinions about what is best. Find what fits the budget (you pay for what you get), determine how badly you'll beat the truck, then talk to the vendors about specific options and pricing.

Take your time. Do some investigating. You'll find what you want/need. I'm partial to Old Man Emu because of all the factors I mentioned.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #711
Velcro, if you aint stuck, you aint havin fun
Alfuh is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlfuh is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlfuh is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlfuh is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlfuh is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlfuh is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlfuh is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlfuh is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlfuh is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlfuh is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlfuh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Air Traffic Control
Alfuh's Tacoma Gallery
im running a Rough Country 3" lift, got the spacers up front and lift blocks in back with new rear shocks and running 2" wheel spacers on all tires, so far I like it, but im going to be swapping the lift for Allpro offroad leafs and icon extended tavel coilovers, what im lookin at provide the same 3" lift, lookin forward to making that change

I like all the info you provided, helped with a good bit of things
Old 10-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #712
just dig it
EddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 19 D PFC, 165th brg 3-34 bat 5-17
Name: Eddy
EddyRRT's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfuh View Post
im running a Rough Country 3" lift, got the spacers up front and lift blocks in back with new rear shocks and running 2" wheel spacers on all tires, so far I like it, but im going to be swapping the lift for Allpro offroad leafs and icon extended tavel coilovers, what im lookin at provide the same 3" lift, lookin forward to making that change

I like all the info you provided, helped with a good bit of things
if you go off road theres no way you like the spacers! i hate mine just on trails! and so does my wife. now, she says get the BILSTEIN ADJUSTABLE LIFT KIT WITH 5100 SHOCKS lol!!! waiting to upgrade to 2nd gen 4x4 for this
Old 10-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #713
"old Brett"
BDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
BDN's Tacoma Gallery
Question about Toytec spacers.
I have the 881 coils and nitro shocks on 96 taco, I was told the aluminum spacers would get the extra inch for 3 inch lift.

Attempting to install these seems to put a lot of stress on the UCA and ball joint. I have not been able to get the bottom bolt in, it's real close with a 6' cheater bar on the uca, but seems like a lot of tension.

I have the 1' diff drop, btw.

The cv's seem awfully steep with the added spacers and I'm concerned that at full droop there may be some binding or worse. Not to mention the upper ball joint is far from straight.

If I shoehorn these in, can I expect to have cv problems down the road?

I'm at the point where I think it may be better to remove a rear leaf in order to level the truck (Dakar springs) and preserve my angles.

My goal is not the highest lift with the biggest tire possible, it's for a better ride and continued longevity with the truck.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #714

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDN View Post
Question about Toytec spacers.
I have the 881 coils and nitro shocks on 96 taco, I was told the aluminum spacers would get the extra inch for 3 inch lift.

Attempting to install these seems to put a lot of stress on the UCA and ball joint. I have not been able to get the bottom bolt in, it's real close with a 6' cheater bar on the uca, but seems like a lot of tension.

I have the 1' diff drop, btw.

The cv's seem awfully steep with the added spacers and I'm concerned that at full droop there may be some binding or worse. Not to mention the upper ball joint is far from straight.

If I shoehorn these in, can I expect to have cv problems down the road?

I'm at the point where I think it may be better to remove a rear leaf in order to level the truck (Dakar springs) and preserve my angles.

My goal is not the highest lift with the biggest tire possible, it's for a better ride and continued longevity with the truck.
Your assessment is correct. I was well over 3" on my 95 and chewed up my ball joints. An after market UCA w/uniball would fix it.

Friendly tip- disconnect the lower balljoints from the spindle. Install strut. Use jack under the LCA to push the lower balljoint back up to the spindle. Easy.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:47 AM   #715
"old Brett"
BDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
BDN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTA LOVER View Post
Your assessment is correct. I was well over 3" on my 95 and chewed up my ball joints. An after market UCA w/uniball would fix it.

Friendly tip- disconnect the lower balljoints from the spindle. Install strut. Use jack under the LCA to push the lower balljoint back up to the spindle. Easy.
Thank you for the reply. I'll look into the tip you gave but I'm not going to install the spacers knowing that they will destroy components due to poor/lack of engineering. I feel the OME kit is a great product and well engineered, however I don't feel that way about these spacers that are offered in conjunction with the kit through a third party.
I feel that Toytec should have mentioned that the spacer will fit with stock uca but an aftermarket uca is actually recommended. This bit of information would have changed my purchase, I would have either gone with new UCA's or a different spring rate. I feel that Toytec did not give full disclosure on their product. Just because it will fit doesn't mean that it should fit, if you know what I mean....

Again, thank you for the response, I appreciate the heads up.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #716
just dig it
EddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 19 D PFC, 165th brg 3-34 bat 5-17
Name: Eddy
EddyRRT's Tacoma Gallery
what yall think of this

http://bilsteinlifts.com/shop/95-04-.../#!prettyPhoto
Old 10-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #717
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyRRT View Post
There are a metric shit ton of threads about this. Search toytec or 5100's...
Old 10-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #718
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
As a matter of fact check the first page of this thread...
Old 10-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #719

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDN View Post
Thank you for the reply. I'll look into the tip you gave but I'm not going to install the spacers knowing that they will destroy components due to poor/lack of engineering. I feel the OME kit is a great product and well engineered, however I don't feel that way about these spacers that are offered in conjunction with the kit through a third party.
I feel that Toytec should have mentioned that the spacer will fit with stock uca but an aftermarket uca is actually recommended. This bit of information would have changed my purchase, I would have either gone with new UCA's or a different spring rate. I feel that Toytec did not give full disclosure on their product. Just because it will fit doesn't mean that it should fit, if you know what I mean....

Again, thank you for the response, I appreciate the heads up.
3" with a diff drop is just fine, going over that is where the troubles start. I was pushing 5" in my 95, and that was bad ju-ju. I run the 1/2" spacer and 886s in my 2011 with stock UCAs and haven't had any issues yet.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #720
Beard Enthusiast
MonTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: John
MonTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Looking at getting a lift/level on my 2013 double cab long bed trd sport and found a great deal on some OME 886 coils. Would they lift the front too much without having the added weight of a bumper or winch? Would it be better off to get some 885s since I don't plan on adding much extra weight to the front. Planning on doing some sort of AAL on the back too.

Products Discussed in this Thread