Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Tacoma Lift FAQ/Guide - READ THIS

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-07-2014, 09:14 AM   #961
Ricks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MWSS 171, 374,
Name: Rick
Ricks2013's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruhl48 View Post
Thanks guys can any one provide a link to the right extension kit.for Me I can't find them thanks
Extension kit for the brake lines? Just pm OCTaco and he will get back to you and get you exactly what your looking for. Here's a link to his thread:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...group-buy.html
Old 03-12-2014, 05:48 PM   #962
Sandrail is on a distinguished road
Name: Paul
Sandrail's Tacoma Gallery
A very good wright up. Because from my on experinces. I believe in the kiss system.and for those that do not know,keep it simple stupid.all the best.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #963
tbird95 is on a distinguished road

tbird95's Tacoma Gallery
Im looking at the Toytech Ultimate lift Kit for my 2008 TRD Sport DC, LB with tow package. Im looking at getting Bilstein 5100's, the UCA's too and a Dakar leaf pack so I can get the full 3" lift. Does this sound about right anything missing other than the rubber ? However the dealer I'm buying through recommended the Boss upgrade for an additional $160, is this just an up sell or are boss a better brand? The boss upgrade on toytech website sound pretty badass.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:59 PM   #964
wuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwuzzy121 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
wuzzy121's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird95 View Post
Im looking at the Toytech Ultimate lift Kit for my 2008 TRD Sport DC, LB with tow package. Im looking at getting Bilstein 5100's, the UCA's too and a Dakar leaf pack so I can get the full 3" lift. Does this sound about right anything missing other than the rubber ? However the dealer I'm buying through recommended the Boss upgrade for an additional $160, is this just an up sell or are boss a better brand? The boss upgrade on toytech website sound pretty badass.
I think you should call toytec and ask, they are really great guys, they will explain the difference between them and not try to up sell the boss.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:30 AM   #965
rruhl48 is on a distinguished road
rruhl48's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry I had so many questions took allot of reading up to figure out my dilemma went with 3/8 toy tec top plate spacer setting at 1.75 got new top plate and stem bushings running stock springs going to end up at 2.5 but maintain enough down travel to avoid running like a tank when they bottom out other wise keeping stock rims for the moment 265 75 16 Cooper atp lre. 1.25 hub centric spacers all four... aal in back got oc taco to make me 3 inch extended lines showed up next day..3 inch fox shocks rear..putting new pads and shoes in while it's apart have carrier bearing drop sway bar relocation and skid/transfer drop if needed. Anything vital I'm forgetting.. Thanks allot guys sorry to thread Jack happening this weekend hopefully. Grabbed extra u bolts to and lug lock kit because of my area... Thanks guys
Old 05-09-2014, 06:54 AM   #966
PreRunner
stitch is on a distinguished road

Army: ch-47 TI
Name: Erick
stitch's Tacoma Gallery
confused

okay, i have read this hole thread and i have a question about the 5100s. this thread is telling me that they only offer a 1" down travel because they are already a maxed out strut. Im not looking for a 3 in lift, maybe around 1.5 or 2 just so i can add more weight and keep it at factory height. If i only put them at around 1 or 20 in of lift, does that allow it to have another inch or two of down travel? Alos, if i only raise it up 2 inches max, will still need new UCAs to have proper alignment?

one more question. how much down travel do the stock shocks have and how much would i need for a comfortable ride?

thx for any help yall can offer. love the thread.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:13 AM   #967
Ricks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Does anyone know about the ToyTec coilover? I already have 5100's and just noticed that they sell the adj coil over with spring and collar made for the 5100's. Are these any good? Look like pretty good quality but i don't know for sure. Are they easily adjustable? I imagine that i would set the 5100's at 0 and just use the collar on the coilover (1-3")? Thanks for your help.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:33 AM   #968
tbird95 is on a distinguished road

tbird95's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricks2013 View Post
Does anyone know about the ToyTec coilover? I already have 5100's and just noticed that they sell the adj coil over with spring and collar made for the 5100's. Are these any good? Look like pretty good quality but i don't know for sure. Are they easily adjustable? I imagine that i would set the 5100's at 0 and just use the collar on the coilover (1-3")? Thanks for your help.
I got the toytec ULK with rear ASL and LR UCA, I upgraded to their Boss system as it was touted as closer to factory ride quality. It's been on for a month and finally starting to break in as the ride was quite stiff for awhile but it's awesome so far! I'm at about 2.75" , my only complaint is that at highway speeds if I hit a bump that crosses both driver and passenger tires such as the concrete edge of a bridge where asphalt meets concrete, I catch a bit of air. Guess I have to just slow down. It's less prominent now that it's broken in and in love how it handles otherwise, off road it's a beast with 17x9, LT285-70-17 toyo O/C A/T 2.
Attached Thumbnails
Tacoma Lift FAQ/Guide - READ THIS-image.jpg  
Old 05-22-2014, 10:43 AM   #970

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird95 View Post
I got the toytec ULK with rear ASL and LR UCA, I upgraded to their Boss system as it was touted as closer to factory ride quality. It's been on for a month and finally starting to break in as the ride was quite stiff for awhile but it's awesome so far! I'm at about 2.75" , my only complaint is that at highway speeds if I hit a bump that crosses both driver and passenger tires such as the concrete edge of a bridge where asphalt meets concrete, I catch a bit of air. Guess I have to just slow down. It's less prominent now that it's broken in and in love how it handles otherwise, off road it's a beast with 17x9, LT285-70-17 toyo O/C A/T 2.
Thanks for the info!
I have 4" Maxtracs on my truck now with the 5100's set @ 1.75. In rear I have 2" block and 1.5" aal. I would like these (or some) adj coil overs because I want to be able to raise the front a half inch or so when i put my Hybrid bumper on in the next couple months. Just dont know if the 5100's have to be at 0 or if i can leave at 1.75(or .85) and still adjust 1-3".
Old 06-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #971
KevinAndrew is on a distinguished road
Name: Kevin
KevinAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
I was looking at some different forums and other sites and what not about lifts and diff drops. I've heard stuff saying from anything over 3" of lift the diff has to be dropped and then I see posts that say if you lift 1.5" you should drop the diff. Anyway, to my question. I have a 2014 SR5 and I'm looking to go with 2.5"-3" of lift and I don't have money to drop my diff, will my u-joints wear so quickly that it will cause a problem in the next 4-6 years?

P.S. This is my daily for the next 5+ years, maybe a mud hole or a trail here and there but other than that just driving to and from school/work
Old 06-05-2014, 01:37 PM   #972
Stalker
TacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
TacoBrah's Tacoma Gallery
Dont do the diff drop. Your U joints are unrelated to the front diff.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:19 PM   #973
rico2834 is on a distinguished road
Marines: 1st Battalion 5th Marines
Name: rico
rico2834's Tacoma Gallery
@ khaos hey whats good bro i have a question, as i am new to as well to the truck industry i only know a few things but i was wondering if you can find out some info about heavy metal lifts i did some research on them but i feel like its bogus... so if u can help me out that be great. im looking for a 3 inch front and rear lift kit for my 13 toyota.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:17 PM   #974
Trailbuilder is on a distinguished road
Name: Scott
Trailbuilder's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the good read, all. New to the forum and come with a question:

Relevant Background:
2003 Tacoma, some extra weigh in the back (shell, carpet kit, tools, bike racks, camping gear, etc)
I have the ToyTec Ultimate Lift...
- Bilstein 5100 front and rear
- Front coils set to about 2" lift
- AAL did not handle the load as well as we hoped (perhaps due to fatigued factory leafs)
In process of swapping to OME Dakar leaf packs...

Problem:
The shop doing the install has found that with the new leaf-pack installed to the frame and the axle (but still up on the service lift) the Bilstien 5100s that are spec'd with the kit are not long enough to reach the lower mount. Quick answer is to put the truck on the ground to load the leaf-pack and bolt-up the shock. But...

Mechanic voiced concerns that taking such approach:
1. it means the shock must now limit down,
2. that the shock is not meant for that purpose, and
3. it may result in addition forces on the shock and shock-mounts.
4. (apparently on stock vehicle the leaf spring is the limiter not the shock)

Question:
Has anyone else dealt with this situation?
Did you fix it?
How ... longer shock (has other problems) / travel limiting strap?

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:22 PM   #975
Also wanted to reply to the questions I saw asking how folks liked the ToyTec Lifts. On my 2003, I've had the "ultimate" kit for about a year. Other than the AAL (and above question), I've been pretty happy with it. Seems to handle well on tarmac and forest roads. It's within alignment setting with factory UCA's (I've set it to only about 2" lift)

It settled a little bit after install, but not much. After a year, I was able to adjust the spring-preload locknuts with the spanners provided. Nuts turned fairly easy, and found it took about 7/8 mm adjustment at the shock to generate 10mm change at the wheel.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:47 PM   #976
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailbuilder View Post
Problem:
The shop doing the install has found that with the new leaf-pack installed to the frame and the axle (but still up on the service lift) the Bilstien 5100s that are spec'd with the kit are not long enough to reach the lower mount. Quick answer is to put the truck on the ground to load the leaf-pack and bolt-up the shock. But...

Mechanic voiced concerns that taking such approach:
1. it means the shock must now limit down,
2. that the shock is not meant for that purpose, and
3. it may result in addition forces on the shock and shock-mounts.
4. (apparently on stock vehicle the leaf spring is the limiter not the shock)

Question:
Has anyone else dealt with this situation?
Did you fix it?
How ... longer shock (has other problems) / travel limiting strap?
You can remove the top overload and third leaf from the Dakars to lower them some, but that may not be enough. I removed the top overload and will probably install limiting straps as a precaution, as my shocks are still about an inch too short. I don't run my truck hard, and others have used the same shocks and full Dakars without limit straps, but it'd be better if the shock wasn't limiting down travel.

If you decide to drop the Dakars, you may find that you aren't happy with the amount of lift. Before breaking down the springs, you may want to contact ToyTec and see if you have the correct shocks, or if they'll swap what you have for a different pair.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:53 PM   #977
Thanks DoorDing. I'll give ToyTec another call in the AM. In your search, have you found a good site to find specs on the extended/compressed lengths of the various Bilstein 5100 sub-models. Thinking I might compare that with the specs on the shocks OME pairs with their Dakar leafs.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:10 PM   #978
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
You can search TW for that information, but ToyTec carries Bilstein and OME, so they should be able to answer your questions.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:57 AM   #979
nhpoke is on a distinguished road
Name: jason
nhpoke's Tacoma Gallery
So I've read most of this thread (and a few others) and wow. What a wealth of information. Most (OK, some) of it is even starting to make sense to me .

I'm not a mechanic, but do enjoy wrenching on things some, and have done suspension work on both of my bikes at this point, so understand most of the concepts. Now it's application and specific parts that I need help with.

Just bought a double cab 4x4 Long Bed about a month ago. It has somewhere under 1k miles on it. My previous truck was an 02 F250 with a a factory lift (no idea what, never cared). I actually enjoyed the "harshness" of the F250 suspension. Right now the Tacoma is feeling a bit "squishy" to me (and I haven't hauled anything with it yet). I will end up with some sort of truck / tool box and requisite junk that I feel I need to have with me at all times (I can't tell you why, but it is necessary).

Budget is limited, at least somewhat. It's more a problem of not being able to spend a lot at any one time than anything (of course I want to limit what I spend in total as well). I can get away with a couple hundred dollars this month. A couple hundred more in a couple months without raising too much of a concern with wifey, so need to make sure I'm getting the best bang for the buck, but order and timing is important as well.

What I'm looking for is more "feedback" than lift. I don't want to build a monster truck. I don't want to do any sort of differential offsets, no drive shaft lengthening, none of that stuff. Slightly bigger rubber, OK, when these tires wear out, but not necessary "right now", but I do want to get rid of the "squishyness".

What I'm currently thinking...
Order 1:
Deaver Add-a-leaf 2.0 from http://www.headstrongoffroad.com/aal...-05-6-lug.html (3rd item down right now, they don't seem to have a dedicated page for it).
Bilstein 5100 Rear Shocks from http://www.headstrongoffroad.com/rea...-05-6-lug.html (7th item down...)
The leaf seems to come with a new center pin, but not u bolts. I understand I should replace the u bolts anyway, correct? Anything else missing to do the rear end?
Can I do the rear end first (without it looking exceedingly stoopid and without breaking anything) and leave it for ~2 months while saving pennies for the front?

Order 2:
OME 885s (6s?) from http://www.headstrongoffroad.com/str...-05-6-lug.html (first on the page)
Bilstein 5100 Adjustable Front Struts (same link as above, 4th on the page) set a 0 with '5s or '6s.
Onlything that it seems I'm missing from the kit is the 1/4" top spacer (which I couldn't find, so would probably have to call). Do I need anything else?

I know there is a kit at http://www.headstrongoffroad.com/hea...-05-6-lug.html that is similar to what I have, but can't pull of $600 at once. I'll probably pay more doing it in pieces, but I have to deal with that.

Am I anywhere near the right track?
Old 07-02-2014, 10:10 PM   #980
Jason- it sounds like you're generally on a good track. A couple things I learned the hard way:
1. expect to have additional costs crop-up (ex: various bolts rusted/seized means cutting the off an installing new ones, also expect to need an alignment each time you make changes)
2. adding any lift slightly changes the dimensions/geometries of a few members, so expect to have some additional item that needs replaceing to accommodate. for my 2" lift that meant axle shins to fix the pinion angle to cure drive line vibration
3. Add-a-leafs enhance the leaf springs. If your leaf springs are shot (like mine were) the Add-a-leafs add lift but do not better handle load .. maybe worse.
4. It's a bit of extra cash, no-doubt, but I've found the ToyTec coilover's adjustability to be nice in tuning the truck and setting up a proper right-left height.

just my $.03

Products Discussed in this Thread