Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Vibration after front-only lift

Old 09-10-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
improvement54 is on a distinguished road
improvement54's Tacoma Gallery
Vibration after front-only lift

I apologize for adding another damn vibration thread, but after 4 hours of searching, I just couldn't find anything that matched my situation.

I have a 2007 Access Cab 4x4 TRD Sport with 46k miles and all stock until I installed Bilstein 5100 adjustables up front set on 2.5" lift. I also installed Bilstein 5100's in the rear, but no additional lift. I have not had the rear spring TSB done. Now I have a vibration that starts at exactly 30 mph and increases in speed well above 80 mph. It does not change other than speed. I have not had it aligned yet and the tires are the OEM originals that are nearly shot. They get replaced next week with new rims.

The weird thing is, when I take it up above 30 mph so the vibration starts and then slow down to a stop, the vibration remains until I stop. When I take off again, it is gone until I hit 30 mph again. Also, putting the truck in 4WD eliminates the vibration.

Could this be the alignment, the tires, or the CV joints? I'm afraid to have it aligned if I find out that I just need to lower the shocks one level and get it realigned to fix it.

Any ideas?
Old 09-11-2010, 05:57 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Allignment won't have anything to do with vibrations.

It could be your front axle shafts/CV joints. There's a modification that'll help fix that assuming that's what the problem is.

Do some research..... search for 'front differential drop'
Old 09-12-2010, 02:26 AM   #3
sanga700 will become famous soon enoughsanga700 will become famous soon enough
sanga700's Tacoma Gallery
I set mine at 2.5" and TSB and 1" block for rear , I have no vibrations at any speeds at all . Truck also drove straight .
Do you have vibration when you put the lift on ? Try to rebalance your tires and see .
Old 09-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
I woudl double check to see that everything is torqued down properly. Some stuff might have shifted once you took the truck off the jack. That's probably not it, because you stated putting the truck into 4wd, but it's worth checking.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:41 AM   #6
improvement54 is on a distinguished road
improvement54's Tacoma Gallery
Yea, the noise going away when I put it in 4wd really threw me for a loop. I had no vibrations before I installed the lift. I'll research more and see what I can find.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:03 AM   #7
MAtrdguy is on a distinguished road

Army: 101st Airborne Div
Name: Pete
MAtrdguy's Tacoma Gallery
have the same issue...I too have searched several forums and cant find definitive answer. I had CB drop, on and off same thing.

My vibe was less w/o the diff drop, so I cant figure it out....