Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Leaf Spring Eye Bolt Stuck!

Old 09-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
ghs57 is on a distinguished road

Name: Chops
ghs57's Tacoma Gallery
Leaf Spring Eye Bolt Stuck!

Anyone know a way to get these GD stuck eye bolts out? I think they have rusted to the bushings. There's no room to swing a hammer on the drivers side (gas tank), but even on pass side I can't break it loose.

I didn't expect to spend all day on this, but my black and tan '01 just dosen't want to give up the broken OEM springs.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:57 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Are you talking about the getting the shackles out?

Or are you talking about the front eye bolts? Or both?

They are a royal pain in the ass, I've done countless lifts on 1st gens and the eye bolts are a bitch. YES, they are rusted up. There's a metal sleeve in there that the bolt slides in and they rust together.

We used to spray the livin shit outta the bushings with PB blaster for days and that wouldn't even help.

You're probably gonna have to cut the head of the bolt off as flush as you can and then pry the mounts outward so the entire assembly can slide thru it. You'll need new bolts and bushings....get greasable shackle bolts!!!
Old 09-13-2010, 05:59 AM   #3

ghs57's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post

You're probably gonna have to cut the head of the bolt off as flush as you can and then pry the mounts outward so the entire assembly can slide thru it. You'll need new bolts and bushings....get greasable shackle bolts!!!

Both front bolts were stuck. I'd have bet real money someone had welded them in. I finally realized, as you suggested, that I needed to cut them loose. They're out now, but that was a battle. I hope to finish the job up after work today.

I had the foresight to order the greasable bolts along with the new springs from Wheeler's.

Thanks much for the advice.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:59 PM   #4

ghs57's Tacoma Gallery
Just a note to anyone replacing rear leaf springs. Buy new U bolts. You may be able to save the old ones, but I don't think it's worth the effort. The greaseable shakel and eye bolts will also save you or someone else a ton of work down the road.