1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toytec 3" Spacer + AAL thoughts

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Tacomafinally, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Sep 11, 2010 at 8:13 PM
    Tacomafinally

Tacomafinally [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD 4x4
    Truck is sold
    Okay, I've done my research over and over again looking for first hand experience on this particular lift and have not found the feedback that I'm looking for.

My driving: I do very little off roading, my vehicle is a DD and I'd like a 3" lift.

This is my 2nd second gen tacoma, my first had the toytec 884 coil and rear AAL on it for 3". I believe back then (2 years ago) they used the short AAL, which I thought was rough! I had some vibe issues with that lift as well. Does anyone have experience with the 3" spacer lift with the long AAL (non tsb) from Toytec? if so, I'd like some feedback on whether or not vibes existed as well as ride characteristics. I live in Portland, OR and the roads here have lots of pot holes so I don't want a super firm ride.

BTW, I have an '07 DC 4wd.

I'm looking for 3" without jarring myself silly and minimal vibes...sounds like I'm asking for too much, huh?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Here's the lift:

2. Sep 11, 2010 at 8:32 PM
    tacosupreme54

tacosupreme54 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    OME 885's, 90000 and n182 shocks, CB drop, 295/75/16 Hankook Dynapro MT RT03's, 16"x8" Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Avid Off Road Light Bar, Magnaflow 12226-14'' Muffler dumped after axle, color matched grille, Team Realtree camo seat and steering wheel covers, Husky floor liners, towing hitch, bed extender, Tacoma bed mat, all black emblems, black sockmonkey decals, bedlined rear bumper.
    i have the 2.5" spacer and the non tsb 2" AAL. the ride is definitely not as "cushioned" as stock. but that's just part of the spacer lift. yes, it is somewhat more stiff than stock, but it's nothing that is unbearable or ridiculous. you can just feel the terrain of what you are riding on a little more, haha. i'm fine with that. the vibes do exist in mine also. from somewhere around 15-25mph, i get a slight vibe in the pedal. the thing is that this doesn't have anything to do with the lift. i did a lot of research on it when i noticed it. there are people that are driving tacoma's on stock suspension, tires, and wheels that have the same exact issue. it's a toyota thing, not the lift. now when it happens after a lift, of course, most people will blame it on the lift. but it's not. some people have it, some don't. i've read where some people on here had this same setup on for several thousand miles and a few years and had no vibes. then there are some that haven't done anything to their truck and they have it. so like i said, it's a toyota thing and it's just the luck of the draw if you have it or not. of course if you were running 38's or something crazy on a tacoma, then the vibes might have something to do with the lift. but with a simple 3'' lift, no. after looking around, i was told by many people on here that a driveshaft carrier bearing drop kit and/or a front differential drop kit will take care of the vibes. neither are over $30. i haven't got around to it, but tons of people say it's the solution. might as well order it along with the lift.

3. Sep 12, 2010 at 7:32 AM
    Tacomafinally

Tacomafinally [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD 4x4
    Truck is sold
    Thank you for your response and experience with the lift; I'm glad to hear that your lift has firmed the drive up, but not beyond comfort. The "cushioned' stock suspension needs more firmness so I can see this as a good thing.

The vibe thing is unique and my Taco has a slight vibe at take off under slow acceleration, my '07 Access Cab did the same thing. However after the 885's were added to it, the vibes were exacerbated. The shims helped reduce the vibe, but not elimnate, which is probably due to the original vibe in the truck . So I think you are right on with the inherent vibes with our vehicles with most owners.

Thanks again

4. Sep 12, 2010 at 9:12 PM
    tacosupreme54

tacosupreme54 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    OME 885's, 90000 and n182 shocks, CB drop, 295/75/16 Hankook Dynapro MT RT03's, 16"x8" Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Avid Off Road Light Bar, Magnaflow 12226-14'' Muffler dumped after axle, color matched grille, Team Realtree camo seat and steering wheel covers, Husky floor liners, towing hitch, bed extender, Tacoma bed mat, all black emblems, black sockmonkey decals, bedlined rear bumper.
    no problem. i hope i helped

5. Sep 13, 2010 at 11:39 PM
    sanga700

sanga700 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Red Tacoma SR5 4x4 V6 6sp
    TRD intake Airbox,4 corners 5100 front set @ 2.5".Rear TSB,1.5" Toytec AAL,skid plate.running board, EGR in channel sun visors,Valetine one radar detector, 17x8.5 Black MB Wheels. 265/70/17 Handkook Dynapro ATM
    I agreed with above said . I have 2.5" lift on 5100s and I don't have any vibration at all but some one else have vibes when they have same set up like mine .

Products Discussed in

To Top