Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Set me straight on the whole lift thing...

Old 09-12-2010, 09:40 PM   #1
I hate Commie Libs!
GearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gear
GearBox's Tacoma Gallery
Question Set me straight on the whole lift thing...

I know you guys have probably answered this a million times, but I have been reading all of your guys' build and trying to put together my own build list and I want to make sure that I am going in the right direction.

First off my truck is a daily driver. I want to lift it and put 265/75/16 of tire on new 16 inch rims. So please correct me if I am wrong. To level/lift my truck I need:

-5100s front and rear set to 2.5 inch on the front and use my stock springs.
-2 inch AAL in the rear

Do I need anything else? If its not needed is there something else that you guys recommend for the general health of my Taco? (UCA's, Diff Drop, etc..)

As far as my truck being a daily driver this will not be too extreme right? I want to keep the stock ride/handling if not improve it. Thanks in advance for all your help. You guys rock!
Old 09-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
this is a good start. You really dont NEED anything else, but to get your alignment perfect you need UCAS. I have a 2.5ish lift and I dont have them but my alignment is pretty god darn good. So I would go with what you have selected.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #3
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
search?
Old 09-12-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
Andy2010 is on a distinguished road
Name: Andy
Andy2010's Tacoma Gallery
You've got it about right. Prob need UCA's. Do a search, TONS of stuff on this
Old 09-12-2010, 09:55 PM   #5
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearBox View Post
I know you guys have probably answered this a million times, but I have been reading all of your guys' build and trying to put together my own build list and I want to make sure that I am going in the right direction.

First off my truck is a daily driver. I want to lift it and put 265/75/16 of tire on new 16 inch rims. So please correct me if I am wrong. To level/lift my truck I need:

-2 inch AAL in the rear

Do I need anything else? If its not needed is there something else that you guys recommend for the general health of my Taco? (UCA's, Diff Drop, etc..)

As far as my truck being a daily driver this will not be too extreme right? I want to keep the stock ride/handling if not improve it. Thanks in advance for all your help. You guys rock!
Idk about the 2" rear maybe 1.5" would be good enough.

For the rear your going to need axle shims and a carrier bearing drop!

And you most likely, well almost positivly, wont need UCA's unless you want the looks and the extra ~1/2" of articulation!
Old 09-12-2010, 09:57 PM   #6
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
Idk about the 2" rear maybe 1.5" would be good enough.

For the rear your going to need axle shims and a carrier bearing drop!

And you most likely, well almost positivly, wont need UCA's unless you want the looks and the extra ~1/2" of articulation!
x2 on the 1.5" AAL
Old 09-12-2010, 10:38 PM   #7
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
FYI , you don't need to lift your truck to run 265/75/16 .
Old 09-13-2010, 03:53 AM   #8
Derp
Derpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Derpy Derek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

-2 inch AAL in the rear

I was about to make a post asking the same thing, but instead of the 2 inch aal in the rear, what if I got a 1.5 in aal in the rear + the tsb for the extra height and free alignment?
Old 09-14-2010, 02:14 PM   #9
I hate Commie Libs!
GearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearBox is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GearBox's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
FYI , you don't need to lift your truck to run 265/75/16 .
Yeah I understand that part. Will it look weird with 265's? I was wondering if there would be too much space in between the tire and the truck but I have seen other peoples rigs and it looks pretty good to me.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:18 PM   #10
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackToyotaTacoma View Post
I was about to make a post asking the same thing, but instead of the 2 inch aal in the rear, what if I got a 1.5 in aal in the rear + the tsb for the extra height and free alignment?
I dont think that if you brought your truck in with an AAL that they would give you the TSB and a FREE alignment. I know the alignment really doesnt do much for the truck since they do a front wheel but still.

Some dealership play ball some suck balls
Old 09-14-2010, 10:18 PM   #11
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Nah, keep it simple.

265/75R16, Bilsteins set at 1.8 (no UCAs or diff drop needed at that height!) 1.5" AAL in back - shouldn't need spacer or shims at that level of lift either.

You'll probably need to remove the front fenders.

Done. And no, that won't look weird - it'll look about right, IMO.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:20 PM   #12
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Nah, keep it simple.

265/75R16, Bilsteins set at 1.8 (no UCAs or diff drop needed at that height!) 1.5" AAL in back - shouldn't need spacer or shims at that level of lift either.

You'll probably need to remove the front fenders.

Done. And no, that won't look weird - it'll look about right, IMO.
As I said above , you can run 265/75/16 on a stock suspension . If you lift it for looks , fine , but there is no need to remove the fenders .
Old 09-14-2010, 10:24 PM   #13
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah I understand that part. Will it look weird with 265's? I was wondering if there would be too much space in between the tire and the truck but I have seen other peoples rigs and it looks pretty good to me.
i have the 5100's at 2.5 with 265/75's with stock uca's and the toyota aal TSB.
it looks right. i use it as my DD and i have a couple rub spots on my UCA's, LCA's and little on the frame. but thats probably because i have such bad camber

you should be good man
Old 09-15-2010, 10:19 AM   #14
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Some have had to remove mudflaps in order to fit 265/75R16.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:19 AM   #15
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Remove fenders?
Old 09-15-2010, 10:23 AM   #16
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Guffaw! Corrected.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #17
I hate Commie Libs!

GearBox's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Jerk View Post
i have the 5100's at 2.5 with 265/75's with stock uca's and the toyota aal TSB.
it looks right. i use it as my DD and i have a couple rub spots on my UCA's, LCA's and little on the frame. but thats probably because i have such bad camber

you should be good man
Awesome! Thanks to all of you guys. I will go ahead a get that stuff rolling when my bonus comes in and I will throw up some before and after pics Once again thanks for the help.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:05 PM   #18
JTO is a glorious beacon of lightJTO is a glorious beacon of lightJTO is a glorious beacon of lightJTO is a glorious beacon of lightJTO is a glorious beacon of lightJTO is a glorious beacon of light

JTO's Tacoma Gallery
This is the route I was planning on going as well. If you don't have the rear tab done do you go with a 2" AAL or stick with the 1.5"?