OEM Shock Replacement?

View Poll Results: OEM Shock Replacement
Rancho 5000 series 1 4.17%
Monroe OEM type 1 4.17%
KYB OEM type 0 0%
Billstein only 22 91.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vet: C-17 Avionics Engineer; Electrical Research Engineer
Name: Larry
larryde09's Tacoma Gallery
OEM Shock Replacement?

I did some searching and didn't really find an answer...

I'm shopping for new shocks and might attempt to do it myself (everyone here says it's pretty easy). I'm looking to save some money, I'm not looking to lift/level my truck, and I only occassionally drive a 2-track (the stock shocks performed great for my offroading habits). However, I would like to get a slightly improved road ride over the stock shocks/struts if possible. Note: I have an '06 2.7L 4wd, so I don't have any Billsteins from the factory either.

I know Billsteins are highly recommended, but I think they are pricey since I'm not lifting/leveling. I've read bad things about Rancho on 1st Gens, but what about 2nd Gens? Aren't they upgraded Monroe shocks, or are they more meant for offroading? I also got prices on KYB, but I've never heard of them.

Note: Monroe/Rancho has a "buy 3 get one free" right now, so that's on my mind too.

Thoughts, experiences, etc...
Old 09-14-2010, 04:01 PM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
You get what you pay for.....

A shocks performance on a 1st gen will be similar on a 2nd gen. Ranchos are horrible - unless they improved over the years. I had a set on my 1st gen and they didn't last very long at all and one I replaced leaked. I wouldn't buy them again.

Do you realize that the front shocks aren't the same as the rear? The front struts might not be included in with that *buy 3 deal*. Struts are more expensive than the regular rear shocks.

Do some research on OME (Old Man EMU) - they're also a good name but probably a bit on the pricey side.

Also, look at Doetsch Tech. I was really impressed with them on our trail rig (Jeep). The Prerunner shocks (with the built-in bump stops) were very good. They're inexpensive also. You'll have to do some searching about part numbers and stuff....I don't believe anyone here runs them.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
If you are looking for a good shock at a low price lot's of guys here have their stock TRD shocks with few miles for low low prices.
Yes I have a couple sets
Old 09-14-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
You get what you pay for.....

...Do you realize that the front shocks aren't the same as the rear? The front struts might not be included in with that *buy 3 deal*. Struts are more expensive than the regular rear shocks.
Yeah, just about all of the monroe brand shocks/struts are on sale. It's a manufacturer's mail in rebate and you get the cheapest one free...so I'd basically get one of the rear shocks free.

I was under the impression Rancho's are a higher line in the monroe brand. Is that true? Do Rancho's perform good on the highway or are they meant for off road?
Old 09-14-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryde09 View Post
Yeah, just about all of the monroe brand shocks/struts are on sale. It's a manufacturer's mail in rebate and you get the cheapest one free...so I'd basically get one of the rear shocks free.

I was under the impression Rancho's are a higher line in the monroe brand. Is that true? Do Rancho's perform good on the highway or are they meant for off road?
I honestly can't remember how they drove onroad. It was a truck and rode like a truck. At the time, I had the Rancho 1.5" lift coils and and rancho AAL/shocks in the rear. I eventually got rid of all of that and went with 2" OME lift coils/struts with re-arched springs/OME rear shocks.
I will say, the OME rode much better.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:24 PM   #7
whitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
whitebread's Tacoma Gallery
Your best bet is to pick up a set of slightly used TRD Bilsteins on the classifieds board. You will probably also find some front ones with the springs still mounted.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:56 PM   #8
josem3 is on a distinguished road

josem3's Tacoma Gallery
Bilsteins always. I have it in my Tacoma Sport(OEM) and my BMW M3. Nothing else!
Old 09-25-2010, 11:23 PM   #9
tiger955 will become famous soon enough
tiger955's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a used 06 2.7 4wd last spring and the original stock shocks were way too bouncy for me even on mild 2 tracks. I got a slightly used set of factory TRD Bilsteins on ebay and it made a world of difference in my truck. Much better ride and handling on the pavement as well as much more comfortable and better control off-road. I only do mild off road stuff, mostly 2 tracks with an occasional wash-out, nothing serious.
BTW, the last set of KYB's I put on were barely better than worn out OEM shocks, waste of money.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:16 AM   #10
as in Gobias some coffee
gobias will become famous soon enoughgobias will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
gobias's Tacoma Gallery
I voted for the Billys. Even getting a set of Billy HDs will be an improvement over stock.

Used to have Ranchos on my K5 Blazer and I hated them something fierce.

Also had KYBs on my Acura. They were okay but wore out really fast.

I have OME on my truck now and I love them. Well worth the money.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:48 PM   #11
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabian
Fabulous's Tacoma Gallery
You want some TRD Sport shocks for free? I have the ones I took off my truck so I could add my lift. They are a little dirty, and have a little bit of corrosion on the yellow paint, but work just fine. The fronts come with the spring, but no top plate or isolator, so you'll have to use what you have, or buy new ones. If you pay for shipping, I'll send them to you.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:38 PM   #12
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OH-MAN View Post
If you are looking for a good shock at a low price lot's of guys here have their stock TRD shocks with few miles for low low prices.
Yes I have a couple sets
This type of deal is probably the best bang/buck you're gonna get.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:51 PM   #13

Thanks for everyone's input. I decided to go w/ the Rancho RS5000's. I can't justify buying the expensive billstein's since I don't need a lift and I don't want to compromise my ball and u joints and ride quality.

I think the Rancho's get a bad name, but my trusted custom auto parts dealer used them for years and swears by them. They provide the cost effective stock improvement I'm looking for. If nothing else, I'll be the test subject and I'll be sure to let you know if I made a foolish decision! See my build for pics of the install.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:02 PM   #14
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Helicopter pilot still serving
rme's Tacoma Gallery
Just a suggestion but try sears for the rancho's! When I got the monroe's they said the Rancho would give you a much stiffer ride. Plus they were on sale and had free installation....might save you some bucks....
Old 09-29-2010, 07:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rme View Post
Just a suggestion but try sears for the rancho's! When I got the monroe's they said the Rancho would give you a much stiffer ride. Plus they were on sale and had free installation....might save you some bucks....
Thanks for the note, but I already bought and installed them myself. Sears did offer free installation for the rear shocks, but they were pretty easy to do anyway.