Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

What can I do to make and TRD sport suspension more of a off-road suspension?

Old 07-15-2008, 07:16 PM   #1
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
What can I do to make and TRD sport suspension more of a off-road suspension?

I'm looking at a 2007 TRD Sport but I want to have a off-road suspension.

Is there anything I can do to make it more like an off-road suspension?

Is there that much of a difference between the TRD Sport and the TRD Off-road?
Old 07-15-2008, 07:18 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by socolax91 View Post
I'm looking at a 2007 TRD Sport but I want to have a off-road suspension.

Is there anything I can do to make it more like an off-road suspension?

the real difference is not in the suspension, although the coil spring rates may or may not be different, but the offroad trd has a locker in the rear, and the sport has the lsd. those are the main difference wise i think.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:19 PM   #3
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Just change the suspension out with a good off road kings, fox,icon racing or even the new toytec coilover lift for the 5100's,
although the sport does come in 4x4. its endless what you can do for a suspension.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:19 PM   #4
gpspowell will become famous soon enoughgpspowell will become famous soon enough
Navy: Viet Nam Veteran 1964-1967
gpspowell's Tacoma Gallery
You can make me an offer on the TRD Offroad coils, 4 shocks, and leaf sets from my '08 Tacoma and change it all out. 14K miles on the parts before I changed to OME all around.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:19 AM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by socolax91 View Post
No...they're the same suspension (from factory).

Although - there is a TSB for a better leaf pak. That TSB is available to anyone with a 4WD I believe. I have it.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:16 AM   #6
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
No...they're the same suspension (from factory).

Although - there is a TSB for a better leaf pak. That TSB is available to anyone with a 4WD I believe. I have it.
TRD Off Road has progressive coils, Sport does not.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:07 PM   #7
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoTRD View Post
TRD Off Road has progressive coils, Sport does not.
and the sport has the bigger sway bar, from what i've heard
Old 07-16-2008, 02:20 PM   #8
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
the trd sport and trd off road suspension is the same. the only thing is that the sport is more tuned for the street ride (stiff) where the trd off road is tuned for an off-road ride (little more bounce)
Old 07-16-2008, 03:02 PM   #9
gpspowell will become famous soon enoughgpspowell will become famous soon enough
Navy: Viet Nam Veteran 1964-1967
gpspowell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoskim View Post
the trd sport and trd off road suspension is the same. the only thing is that the sport is more tuned for the street ride (stiff) where the trd off road is tuned for an off-road ride (little more bounce)
You lost me. They're the same......only different?????
Old 07-16-2008, 03:06 PM   #10
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yea there TUNED differently. u can tune shocks if you want
Old 07-16-2008, 03:40 PM   #11
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoskim View Post
yea there TUNED differently. u can tune shocks if you want
Those bilstein shocks/struts can't be TUNED.

If tuning was different - then the sport would have a totally different shock/strut (part numbers) than the Offroad.

A call to the dealership would confirm (or not) that all these things are different between them.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:44 PM   #12
Tuned By Gadget

from toyota.com/tacoma

TRD Off-Road Package (OC) - SR5 Package #2 plus off-road-tuned suspension with Bilstein® shocks, 16-in. alloy wheels with P265/70R16 BFGoodrich® Rugged Trail T/A tires, locking rear differential, engine skid plate and fuel tank protector, front tow hook, 115V/400-watt deck-mounted power outlet, multi-function overhead console with compass and temperature gauge, sport seats with sport fabric and driver's lumbar support, and TRD Off-Road graphics (V6 models)

TRD Sport Package #1 (PY) - Sport suspension with Bilstein® shocks, 17-in. alloy wheels with P265/65R17tires, limited-slip rear differential, 115V/400-watt deck-mounted power outlet, fog lamps, power windows/door locks/outside mirrors, remote keyless entry system, cruise control, variable intermittent windshield wipers, multi-function overhead console with compass and outside temperature gauge, color-keyed grille surround/bumpers/mirrors/door handles/overfenders, sliding rear window with privacy glass, sport seats with driver's lumbar support and sport fabric trim, metallic-tone instrument panel trim, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter, sun visors with sliding extensions and vanity mirror, and TRD Sport graphics (V6 models)
Old 07-16-2008, 03:45 PM   #13
Tuned By Gadget

so they are TUNED
Old 07-17-2008, 11:24 AM   #14
J4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

J4RR's Tacoma Gallery
Technically all shocks are tuned but tuned at the factory for the car manufacturer for their specific application such as vehicle, model, soft ride, stiff ride..etc

BTW I've had both TRD offroad and TRD Sport tacos, the offroad version is alot more stiff than the sport version.
Offroad has to be more stiff in order to take that offroad terrian, although my sport suspension did well offroad when my truck was stock overall it was too soft for offroad terrian.
It is basically the coil spring rate that mostly changes the overall ride quality.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:51 AM   #15
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Off Road has progressive coils. Sport does not.

The shocks are the same thing. Its the coils that are different.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #16
kosers is on a distinguished road
kosers's Tacoma Gallery
MY 09 TRD off-road has a slight wag in the tail end. Can the locker in the rear disengage or be stressed to the point ware the truck feels wobbly in motion. my truck rides like the sport not the off-road. Feeling happened after a tow in 4-wheel. Can anyone help me with this issue. Please... I am paying for a truck that i don't drive & know something is not right. I thought it might be the sway bar. I don't really know, but i am almost willing to replace everything so my ride will be the way it used to... Much Thanks to anyone that takes the time to help me keep my sanity. The dealers called me CRAZY.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:57 AM   #17
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosers View Post
MY 09 TRD off-road has a slight wag in the tail end. Can the locker in the rear disengage or be stressed to the point ware the truck feels wobbly in motion. my truck rides like the sport not the off-road. Feeling happened after a tow in 4-wheel. Can anyone help me with this issue. Please... I am paying for a truck that i don't drive & know something is not right. I thought it might be the sway bar. I don't really know, but i am almost willing to replace everything so my ride will be the way it used to... Much Thanks to anyone that takes the time to help me keep my sanity. The dealers called me CRAZY.
where did you hook up to tow?
Old 08-07-2009, 01:56 PM   #18
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosers View Post
Ummm...

You were towing in 4WD? What were you driving on when you were towing in 4WD?