Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

bjmoose installs full OME kit & rear brake lines with pics

Old 10-26-2013, 08:44 AM   #181
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
It's kinda hard to believe that it's been over three years since I wrote and posted this writeup.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #182
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
887's?
That was my initial thought too but that's what Wheeler's sold him. I had never heard of them.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #183
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
Name: Chris
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
It's kinda hard to believe that it's been over three years since I wrote and posted this writeup.
Glad you did

We're just carrying your torch, trying to help other Taco owners.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #184
WLFFGreg is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: AEMT/FF
Name: Greg
WLFFGreg's Tacoma Gallery
I've read this thread a few times now, Wednesday will be install day. Doing it by myself, hopefully it all goes well, I'm installing a full Ironman kit with a 10mm trim packer on drivers side and 5mm on passenger. Keeping my fingers crossed, but with this thread it will at least be easier.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:30 AM   #185
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLFFGreg View Post
I've read this thread a few times now, Wednesday will be install day. Doing it by myself, hopefully it all goes well, I'm installing a full Ironman kit with a 10mm trim packer on drivers side and 5mm on passenger. Keeping my fingers crossed, but with this thread it will at least be easier.
The rear springs are a PITA simply because of the weight, and a little awkward to get in place, but you can get it done.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #186
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTA LOVER View Post
The rear springs are a PITA simply because of the weight, and a little awkward to get in place, but you can get it done.
Mine went right in....other than being heavy as hell it was easy. I didn't have to try to articulate them at all to get them to line up with the bolt holes. It was awesome.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #187
TacomaWill is a splendid one to beholdTacomaWill is a splendid one to beholdTacomaWill is a splendid one to beholdTacomaWill is a splendid one to beholdTacomaWill is a splendid one to beholdTacomaWill is a splendid one to beholdTacomaWill is a splendid one to behold

Name: Will
TacomaWill's Tacoma Gallery
i will be installing my fox 2.0 coilovers and LR uca's this week, and this thread has already been printed off and put in the tool box.
now for getting the new CO's in, since i am replacing the uca's, i just need to take the old uca's off and then i will be able to slide the co's in? then install the new uca's?
also, ive read a couple different topics about getting the old uca's off, specifically the separating the ball joints.
if i spray them with penetrating oil and let em sit for a few, i should be able to beat them with a hammer to get them free right
Old 11-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #188
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaWill View Post
... since i am replacing the uca's, i just need to take the old uca's off and then i will be able to slide the co's in? then install the new uca's?
also, ive read a couple different topics about getting the old uca's off, specifically the separating the ball joints.
if i spray them with penetrating oil and let em sit for a few, i should be able to beat them with a hammer to get them free right
Yep, and yep. I'd spray that stuff on the night before. Actually, if I could I'd spray it on every day for a week, depending on the rust buildup.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:12 PM   #189
TacomaWill is a splendid one to beholdTacomaWill is a splendid one to beholdTacomaWill is a splendid one to beholdTacomaWill is a splendid one to beholdTacomaWill is a splendid one to beholdTacomaWill is a splendid one to beholdTacomaWill is a splendid one to behold

Name: Will
TacomaWill's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Yep, and yep. I'd spray that stuff on the night before. Actually, if I could I'd spray it on every day for a week, depending on the rust buildup.
I did the install last night. I rented a balljoint separator from advanced autofarts and that made them come off super easy, almost instantly.
Install was a bitch, especially sliding those uca pivot bolts out.
All in all I'm super happy with my setup now and this thread helped me out a lot. Truck is riding smooth and I don't rub my uca's anymore.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:33 AM   #190

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaWill View Post
I did the install last night. I rented a balljoint separator from advanced autofarts and that made them come off super easy, almost instantly.
Install was a bitch, especially sliding those uca pivot bolts out.
All in all I'm super happy with my setup now and this thread helped me out a lot. Truck is riding smooth and I don't rub my uca's anymore.
Yeah, those UCA bolts sucked for me too. Some people made it sound easy...."just bend the fender a little"...yeah right! haha
Old 11-16-2013, 06:01 AM   #191
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
Yeah, those UCA bolts sucked for me too. Some people made it sound easy...."just bend the fender a little"...yeah right! haha
That is exactly what I did and it worked great
Old 11-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #192

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
That is exactly what I did and it worked great
I did too after cutting them turned out to be a major pain. They still hit a lot of other stuff that was not easily bendable the farther out they came. Got them out eventually but it wasn't easy.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:01 AM   #193

Quote:
I did too after cutting them turned out to be a major pain. They still hit a lot of other stuff that was not easily bendable the farther out they came. Got them out eventually but it wasn't easy.
What aspects made cutting difficult?
Old 11-17-2013, 05:52 AM   #194

Air Force:
Quote:
What aspects made cutting difficult?
Probably wasn't using the right tool. Was trying to do it with a dremmel. lol Not an easy task. It was the best thing I had on hand though.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #195

Quote:
Probably wasn't using the right tool. Was trying to do it with a dremmel. lol Not an easy task. It was the best thing I had on hand though.
"A" for effort, "D-" for bringing a knife to a gunfight
Old 11-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #196

Air Force:
Quote:
"A" for effort, "D-" for bringing a knife to a gunfight
haha, I know right. Live and learn I guess.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:51 AM   #197
madcatter is on a distinguished road

madcatter's Tacoma Gallery
i am shopping around now for which lift to put in my 2010.thanks for the info.i will be doing a uca change at same time.
in the past what i have done to keep from prying to get coil/shock in,before i install the top,i compress the coil some and use some heavy wire to keep the whole thing compressed slightly,then when i hang the top,i just cut wire with some dykes and watch the bottom just slowly expand into place,then a wedge and tapper and its aligned for bolt
Old 12-21-2013, 11:21 PM   #198
gtokarski is on a distinguished road
gtokarski's Tacoma Gallery
Just finished doing OME kit up front by myself. This writeup was a great help.
I started with a pre-assembled set of 886 coils and rancho 9000 shocks + top plate spacer.
Here are the steps I followed.
I removed the sway bar completely and separated the lower balljoint from the spindle.
I had trouble moving the lower control arm, it seemed to be totally stuck. I loosened the alignment bolts and it moved with a great deal of grinding and complaining but much easier, I believe the people who damage their alignment tabs fail to loosen these bolts.
Putting it back together was pretty easy, I used very tall jack stands to I had no trouble getting the new shock/coil in by swinging the LCA out of the way.
Once the shock was in place I put the lower bolt in first then used a jack to lift the LCA up and guide the top three bolts through the shock mount and installed the nuts.
Getting the LCA balljoint back together with the spindle was tough as jacking the LCA up lifted the whole truck.
I turned the stock bottle jack upside down and pushed down on the UCA, once it was close I put the two bolts back in and tightened it up.
Torqued everything to spec and took it out for a drive.

Notes for next time:
A second set of hands would have helped a lot.
If you can find someone who has done an install before it goes a lot faster.
I'm super tired. Took about 7 hours with a food break. The other side took WAY less time to do than the first. I bet I could do the whole thing in half the time now that I've done it once.
The sway bar is a pain and I suggest not putting it back on.
Alignment seems ok, but needs to be checked.
ARB bumper/Winch put so much weight on the front that the inside of the tires wore down with the stock OR suspension. That was something I did not expect when I put the bumper on.
Need to do an AAL in the rear tomorrow.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #199
george2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: BIG G
george2pak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtokarski View Post
Just finished doing OME kit up front by myself. This writeup was a great help.
I started with a pre-assembled set of 886 coils and rancho 9000 shocks + top plate spacer.
Here are the steps I followed.
I removed the sway bar completely and separated the lower balljoint from the spindle.
I had trouble moving the lower control arm, it seemed to be totally stuck. I loosened the alignment bolts and it moved with a great deal of grinding and complaining but much easier, I believe the people who damage their alignment tabs fail to loosen these bolts.
Putting it back together was pretty easy, I used very tall jack stands to I had no trouble getting the new shock/coil in by swinging the LCA out of the way.
Once the shock was in place I put the lower bolt in first then used a jack to lift the LCA up and guide the top three bolts through the shock mount and installed the nuts.
Getting the LCA balljoint back together with the spindle was tough as jacking the LCA up lifted the whole truck.
I turned the stock bottle jack upside down and pushed down on the UCA, once it was close I put the two bolts back in and tightened it up.
Torqued everything to spec and took it out for a drive.

Notes for next time:
A second set of hands would have helped a lot.
If you can find someone who has done an install before it goes a lot faster.
I'm super tired. Took about 7 hours with a food break. The other side took WAY less time to do than the first. I bet I could do the whole thing in half the time now that I've done it once.
The sway bar is a pain and I suggest not putting it back on.
Alignment seems ok, but needs to be checked.
ARB bumper/Winch put so much weight on the front that the inside of the tires wore down with the stock OR suspension. That was something I did not expect when I put the bumper on.
Need to do an AAL in the rear tomorrow.
You need a alignment for sure!
Old 12-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #200
gtokarski is on a distinguished road
gtokarski's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by george2pak View Post
You need a alignment for sure!

AAL is done. It was a huge pain keeping the leaf pack aligned while compressing it.

Alignment came out great with stock uca.