1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

bjmoose installs full OME kit & rear brake lines with pics

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by bjmoose, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Oct 23, 2012 at 12:25 AM
    671taco

671taco thekeithchronicles

Member:
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    twenty-ten rc
    no need.

2. Oct 23, 2012 at 12:26 AM
    HERMS671

HERMS671 Hey there! I'm using Tacoma World

Member:
    Guam, USA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    BHLM and HID Retrofit/Upgraded Sound System
    Thanks.

3. Dec 30, 2012 at 12:49 AM
    totmacher

totmacher automotive hypochondriac

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    TN (memphis-ish)
    Vehicle:
    4Runner, Tundra
    Cut & broke off some stuff.
    I just finished installing mine today. That idea of putting the bottle jack on the leaf to push it down sure did help out.

FYI, on PreRunner, you don't really have to remove tie rod ends. I just swung the stabilizer bar out of the way and was able to wiggle the strut/coil down between tie rod and lower control arm. Still gotta watch out for the brake lines. Driver side was a little tough because cooling lines under radiator on that side block you from pushing the stabilizer bar up as far as you can on passenger side.

Old shovel handle works real nice for prying down the control arms. Stabilizer bar relocator seems to be a must. There is barely a finger width of clearance from coil on passenger side.

4. Dec 31, 2012 at 8:24 AM
    MWall

MWall Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Wichita, KS
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    This thread is awesome. Thanks for the info. OME kit with leafs will be here by the end of Jan. (TC UCA's already on the way!). The toytec site has an option to add top plate spacers on the coils (recommended for DBLC), which I'm going to do. What bushings or hardware do I need for the leaf pack that it doesn't come with? I'm trying to make sure I have all my parts before I start.

5. Dec 31, 2012 at 8:31 AM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    Im pretty sure toytec includes the bushings, other vendors dont include the rear bushing. So you shouldn't need anything else, im sure the kit comes with U-bolts correct? Did you get the center pin extender and shims? Extended brake lines will make the install easier, i didnt need them tho. Are you having the coilovers assembled by toytec?

6. Dec 31, 2012 at 9:37 PM
    totmacher

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    TN (memphis-ish)
    Vehicle:
    4Runner, Tundra
    Toytec OME kit comes with everything you need.

With 1 leaf removed from the Dakars, I got 2 inch lift in rear. The 885 coils gave me 3 inches lift in the front without the top plate spacers. BUT, all of my springs were really worn/sagged.

My frame sits 17.5 inches off the ground now. The height difference front-back and left-right is about 1/8 inch so I'd call it perfectly level. If the back settles more than the front over the next few months, I can always put that leaf back in.

[measurements based on my access cab trd sport prerunner on nearly new 265/70-17 tires]

7. Dec 31, 2012 at 10:00 PM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    Subbed for driveline reference :)

8. Jan 1, 2013 at 7:50 AM
    MWall

MWall Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Wichita, KS
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    I'm doing 885 coils, top plate spacers installed, complete leafs with u bolts, diff drop kit, rear shock stone guards, and assembled shocks w/ new bushings. I am also going with sway bar relocate bracket, sway bar clamps, extended brake lines, and a carrier bearing drop kit. So it comes with u bolts, but I don't know about this center pin extender and shims that you speak of. Is that the same as the shock extenders? I wouldn't think I'd need that.

9. Jan 1, 2013 at 9:42 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Centre pin collars can be purchased at any spring shop

You clamp the leaf pack , remove the centre pin , slide the collar onto it , reinstall the centre pin into the pack .

With the collar installed , the head of the pin now extends further from the leaf pack which will allow for the thickness of axle shims while still providing adequate purchase into the axle seat

10. Jan 1, 2013 at 12:53 PM
    davidjmay

davidjmay Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Orange County/Azusa
    Vehicle:
    '00 PreRunner
    Pioneer HU & door speakers, Alpine type R, Kicker dx1000.1, OME 883 lift, Wheelers 2" AAL, custom mesh grille, smoked LED taillights, LED light bar, Raptor exhaust dumped before axle, custom fabbed roll bar/light bar mount
    OP- So with the dakars in the back and 885's you had rake? About 2" higher in the rear, from your measurements... Any ideas on how to either level out or be slightly higher in the front? It says the front should yield 3" and the rear 2.25". Was this not so?

11. Jan 1, 2013 at 8:06 PM
    davidjmay

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Orange County/Azusa
    Vehicle:
    '00 PreRunner
    Pioneer HU & door speakers, Alpine type R, Kicker dx1000.1, OME 883 lift, Wheelers 2" AAL, custom mesh grille, smoked LED taillights, LED light bar, Raptor exhaust dumped before axle, custom fabbed roll bar/light bar mount
    How did you remove the leaf from your dakar pack? And which leaf did you remove?

12. Jan 1, 2013 at 8:15 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    You can remove the third leaf down from the top or the upper overload leaf

13. Jan 2, 2013 at 2:07 AM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    I removed the third leaf down and it was very easy. You just need a big c clamp, two would be better. Clamp the leafs together and remove 3 bolts. Loosen the clamps and the leafs will seperate, just make sure you pay attention to what order they go back together in and which is the front/rear. Stack em back together, clamp them tight and line up the centering pin, tighten everything back up, done. Not difficult at all.

14. Jan 6, 2013 at 9:11 PM
    totmacher

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    TN (memphis-ish)
    Vehicle:
    4Runner, Tundra
    what they ^^ said. 3rd leaf down. When you look, it seems sort of obvious b/c there is nothing bolted to this leaf.

Put down a piece of cardboard then lay the leaf pack on its side. This way you don't rub the paint off onto your garage floor or driveway. The C-clamp is a safety thing so that the springs don't jump when you take nut off the center pin. You might also want to remove the bolts/sleeves from the guides. It just makes the leaves easier to separate.

Also, it may not really matter, but I used a paint marker to write "+" on the leaf that came from the "+" pack. That way I know which pack it came out of if I decide to put it back on.

15. Jan 11, 2013 at 1:52 PM
    geogecko

geogecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Thanks for the great write up. Installing some 5100's on my Tacoma soon to level it out, and this helped a lot.

Not to hijack or anything, but what torque wrench did you buy, just an old fashioned bar with needle, or did you go with a clicker? I have the low torque clicker craftsman, but based on reviews, and the frequency of use, don't think I want to spend that much on the like version for the high torque version.

Also, use any locktite or anti-sieze compound on anything?

16. Jan 11, 2013 at 3:46 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose [OP] Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
  17. Jan 11, 2013 at 3:47 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose [OP] Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    If you want "level" or "bro lean" probably go with a mild add-a-leaf instead of dakar leaf pack.

Not my style, but diffrn't strokes...

18. Jan 11, 2013 at 5:09 PM
    geogecko

geogecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Awesome, thanks, that looks similar to the Gorilla one on Amazon, but $20 less.

Picked up my Arcan floor jack tonight, and ordered the strut cushions from the dealer.

So the ball joint removal was purely to allow more wiggle room for the strut removal? I think I'll leave it on, but pick up the removal tool while getting the spring compressor, just in case.

Thanks again for the detailed write up.

19. Jan 12, 2013 at 10:31 AM
    davidjmay

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Orange County/Azusa
    Vehicle:
    '00 PreRunner
    Thanks to both! Can you remove the upper overload leaf AND the third leaf down? And roughly how much lift will be lost by removing these leafs?

20. Jan 12, 2013 at 10:39 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Why not just get a different leaf pack at that point ?

Products Discussed in

To Top