Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

5100's @ 2.5 vs Eibach & 5100's @ .85/TSB w/ 1.5 AAL for TSB vs. Dakar Leaf Pack

View Poll Results: 5100's @ 2.5 vs Eibach & 5100's @ .85/TSB w/ 1.5 AAL for TSB vs. Dakar Leaf Pack???
5100's @ 2.5 and 1.5 AAL 16 34.04%
Eibach Coils/Billies @ .85 and 1.5 AAL 13 27.66%
Eibach Coils/Billies @ .85 and Dakar Leaf Pack 7 14.89%
Adjustable Coilover for Billies and 1.5 AAL 5 10.64%
Adjustable Coilover for Billies and Dakar Leaf Pack 4 8.51%
Other... 2 4.26%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2010, 05:49 AM   #1
I'd rather be hunting!
huntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
huntark03's Tacoma Gallery
5100's @ 2.5 vs Eibach & 5100's @ .85/TSB w/ 1.5 AAL for TSB vs. Dakar Leaf Pack

Ok...so I have searched a whole lot for the setup that I want to get and can find some stuff but nothing that really sways me one way or the other except the price.

Here is my truck...2009 DB LB V6 4X4 TRD Sport w/ 5100's all around and rear spring TSB. I want to go a little higher but don't want to have to come up with the money for new UCA's....

I have been thinking about either cranking my 5100's to 2.5 or getting Eibach coils and setting them at .85. I want the best quality ride and will be doing some offroading mainly in hunting season. I have also thought about the adjustable coilover kit for the 5100's....

For the rear...I figure that the 1.5 AAL for the TSB would be good but hear the Dakar leaf pack is well worth it and that I can pull a leaf out of it so it doesn't sit too high...

I have a baby due anyday and funds will be short for a while....any advice and options are welcomed!

Thanks in advance for reading all this and helping me decide!

Chris
Old 09-29-2010, 06:10 AM   #2
Taco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Helo nighttime recon extended perimeter security
Name: David
Taco4x4NC's Tacoma Gallery
5100's/eibach coils/1.5 AAL

I have the front billies set @ zero with eibach coils and am very happy with the ride quaility and stance of my truck. I also added the toytec 1.5 AAL and its worth the $$. 99.9% of my use is on road, no water crossings here Best of luck with your choice.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:25 AM   #3
whitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shed

whitebread's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntark03 View Post
For the rear...I figure that the 1.5 AAL for the TSB would be good but hear the Dakar leaf pack is well worth it and that I can pull a leaf out of it so it doesn't sit too high...
I have ran both setups and there is no comparison. The Dakar leaf pack is far superior - it provides a better ride when both loaded/unloaded and handles heavy loads like champ. I have had issues with a noisy front bushing but that was resolved by using OE Toyota bushings (same ones you put in the rear) rather than the ones that came pre-installed. FWIW, I believe All-Pro has the best price on the Dakar leafs.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:13 AM   #4
I'd rather be hunting!
huntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco4x4NC View Post
I have the front billies set @ zero with eibach coils and am very happy with the ride quaility and stance of my truck. I also added the toytec 1.5 AAL and its worth the $$. 99.9% of my use is on road, no water crossings here Best of luck with your choice.

Thanks man! How much lift did you get out of the Eibach's alone?
Old 09-29-2010, 07:45 AM   #5
outlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: FO on the OP
Name: Brandon
outlaw7's Tacoma Gallery
i have the fronts at .85 with eibachs and a .50 spacer on d/s and .25 on p/s with the tsb aal in the rear with some shims and i love my ride. never rode in a rig with an aftermarket leaf pack so i cant compare but im very pleased with my setup. front sits about 1.5 inches lower than the rear.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:51 AM   #6
I'd rather be hunting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw7 View Post
i have the fronts at .85 with eibachs and a .50 spacer on d/s and .25 on p/s with the tsb aal in the rear with some shims and i love my ride. never rode in a rig with an aftermarket leaf pack so i cant compare but im very pleased with my setup. front sits about 1.5 inches lower than the rear.

I love how your ride looks...just trying to forego the money spent on UCA's if I can help it....

What are the shims for?
Old 09-29-2010, 07:56 AM   #7
outlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

outlaw7's Tacoma Gallery
new uca's arent required for my setup i just got a deal on mine. the shims help correct the rear driveline angles after you add the aal.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:07 AM   #8
I'd rather be hunting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw7 View Post
new uca's arent required for my setup i just got a deal on mine. the shims help correct the rear driveline angles after you add the aal.
Cool...thanks for the quick reply man!!
Old 09-29-2010, 08:21 AM   #9
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabian
Fabulous's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think mine will require UCA's either. I got it back yesterday, and it drives real nice, except the steering wheel isn't centred...will have to take it back for that this week. I noticed after I got my alignment that my truck is actually sitting at 2.5" in the front now, and not the 2.25" it was before the align...weird. I really recommend the 5100's at 0.85 with the eibach spring. You can decide on an AAL or new leaf pack depending on what funds allow for. I got an AAL, and it works perfectly fine for me. My buddy has a DC long box Sport of the same year as mine, and he went OME with the Dakars, and honestly I think they ride almost exactly the same, except his was twice the price. He went with the 885 springs and got 2.8" of lift after settling, and got his castor to 1.9 on both sides, so no UCA's for him either...looks almost the same height as mine except he went with 285 tires on 16" DC-2's. I'll post some pics as soon as I have a chance.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:28 AM   #10
I'd rather be hunting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
I don't think mine will require UCA's either. I got it back yesterday, and it drives real nice, except the steering wheel isn't centred...will have to take it back for that this week. I noticed after I got my alignment that my truck is actually sitting at 2.5" in the front now, and not the 2.25" it was before the align...weird. I really recommend the 5100's at 0.85 with the eibach spring. You can decide on an AAL or new leaf pack depending on what funds allow for. I got an AAL, and it works perfectly fine for me. My buddy has a DC long box Sport of the same year as mine, and he went OME with the Dakars, and honestly I think they ride almost exactly the same, except his was twice the price. He went with the 885 springs and got 2.8" of lift after settling, and got his castor to 1.9 on both sides, so no UCA's for him either...looks almost the same height as mine except he went with 285 tires on 16" DC-2's. I'll post some pics as soon as I have a chance.
Yours is one I've definitely been looking forward to seeing!! Thanks for all the info man! Rep coming your way! I know how it is with the pics thing...once I can give mine a bath...I'm gonna start a build thread to track my progress!
Old 09-29-2010, 08:39 AM   #11

outlaw7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Cool...thanks for the quick reply man!!
no prob man i hope this info helps you
Old 09-29-2010, 08:58 AM   #12
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Happy to help. It's a tough decision figuring out what you want to go with... I looked on here for months, and drove my wife and friends crazy. I'm really happy with how it turned out, even though installing it was a bit of a pain, and the issues that popped up were a bit of $$ that I hadn't planned on. All I need to do now is paint my billit grill black, and get some Dick Cepek DC-2's when the funds allow.

Cheers.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:27 AM   #13
THIS IS AMERICA!!!
Cortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cortland
Cortland's Tacoma Gallery
I have Eibachs w/ Billies set at zero and the ride is great...I plan on raising the Billies up to .85" in the next couple of weeks and I have a 1.5" All-Pro Leaf Pack that needs to be installed as well.

Have you thought about the Wheelers 1.5" Progressive Leaf Pack? It is $149 if I remember correctly, but you will lose some of your load capacity.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:16 AM   #14
I'd rather be hunting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortland View Post
I have Eibachs w/ Billies set at zero and the ride is great...I plan on raising the Billies up to .85" in the next couple of weeks and I have a 1.5" All-Pro Leaf Pack that needs to be installed as well.

Have you thought about the Wheelers 1.5" Progressive Leaf Pack? It is $149 if I remember correctly, but you will lose some of your load capacity.
No...I want to keep all the load capacity I can...if not even make it better!! Thanks for the help though! Do you have the rear spring TSB?
Old 09-29-2010, 10:40 AM   #15
THIS IS AMERICA!!!
Cortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cortland
Cortland's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No...I want to keep all the load capacity I can...if not even make it better!! Thanks for the help though! Do you have the rear spring TSB?
No I do not have the TSB
Old 09-29-2010, 10:42 AM   #16
I'd rather be hunting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortland View Post
No I do not have the TSB
I do...so I'm trying to figure if I will have too much rake adding a 1.5 AAL and only Eibach coils and the .85 setting...
Old 09-29-2010, 10:56 AM   #17

What are your measurements in front/ back as of right now measured through the hub? Mine was about 1.5" higher in the back before I started, and is about the same now with the 2" AAL. I think that the 1.5" AAL would probably end up looking like mine once it's settled. Keep in mind that the rear wheel arch is also higher in the rear by about 1/2", so if you want the truck level, then the back measurement should be at least 1/2" higher when all is said and done. I like a bit of rake as I tow a heavy trailer with two dirt bikes frequently, and I also pack the truck full with gear, and luggage, and my dog when I go on vacation, and don't like the ass down look while loaded.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:14 AM   #19
I'd rather be hunting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
What are your measurements in front/ back as of right now measured through the hub? Mine was about 1.5" higher in the back before I started, and is about the same now with the 2" AAL. I think that the 1.5" AAL would probably end up looking like mine once it's settled. Keep in mind that the rear wheel arch is also higher in the rear by about 1/2", so if you want the truck level, then the back measurement should be at least 1/2" higher when all is said and done. I like a bit of rake as I tow a heavy trailer with two dirt bikes frequently, and I also pack the truck full with gear, and luggage, and my dog when I go on vacation, and don't like the ass down look while loaded.

I will take some measurements tonight and post them up. I will eventually have a side-by-side and we camp quite often too. I would like to sit level when loaded as well. Thanks man...I'll get back to you after 4...hopefully to start my build thread with plenty of pics too!
Old 09-29-2010, 11:17 AM   #20
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 3" front spacer and a 1 1/2" AAL right now. I'm getting rid of the spacers and installing Billy 5100s at 2.5"

So I voted Billys at 2.5" with 1 1/2" AAL