Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Thump when releasing brake pedal

Old 10-04-2010, 09:52 PM   #1
Maduck is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Captain, Vietnam era Pilot
Maduck's Tacoma Gallery
Thump when releasing brake pedal

I have a 2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 SR5 Quad cab, V6. It is an excellent driving pick-up, I am very happy with it. I have noticed when I stop and I take my foot off of the break, I get a weird bump sensation, it does not do it all the time, and I notice it more prominently if I break hard, and take my foot off of the break. It shifts nice, no audible noise from the transmission, no wheelbearing problems. Shifts in and out of gear nice, by the way it is an automatic, no clunking, does not do it in gear while driving, only when I'm stopped take my foot off the break to drive while in gear. Wife thinks it's falling apart and won't ride in it. 38,000 miles for gosh sakes, and Lexus does not have a PU.

Thanks for any Help!
Old 10-04-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
Bsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud of

Name: Nate
Bsly862's Tacoma Gallery
Could be axle wrap...?
Old 10-05-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
x2 on the axle wrap. what do the leaf springs look like? sort of or , our trucks are notorious for having weak leafs. if they are more of a sad faced look then you have found the source of the thump. Option A - an AAL will correct the issue, may be only temporarily. Option B - new leaf packs.

another possibility is the driveshaft - no it's not falling apart! - has it been greased lately? if not you might want to give that a try...7 zerks along the way IIRC.

Tell your wife to relax, Tacomas don't fall apart.