1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Eibach Coils: Top Spacer Question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by BGrutter, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Oct 6, 2010 at 8:35 AM
    BGrutter

BGrutter [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Baron
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DCSB TRD OR
    Rear-View Camera Mod, Anti-theft Tailgate, No Mud-Flaps, Diff Breather Mod, Color-matched Mirror/Handle covers, Front Valance mod, Phone/GPS/Camera mount, and Illuminated 4x4 Switch ToyTec Ultimate Lift Light Racing UCAs
    Actually, I'm referring to the lift from the Toytec website. It states that it includes the "TP14 spacer for correction of drivers side lean". I'm assuming this is the 1/4" spacer that would be needed for my passenger side in my proposed setup with a 1/2" spacer on the driver side.

As for the Ultimate lift, you still need to remove the strut to adjust it. I think you even have to compress the spring, since you can't turn the colar under pressure. Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong.

2. Oct 6, 2010 at 10:27 AM
    Fabulous

Fabulous Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma double-cab TRD Sport
    TRD Pro grill and fog lights, Toytec Boss lift, 265/70-17 Duratracs on 17 x 8.5 FN Verge wheels, LEER canopy, 30% tinted front windows.
    Crazy, that must be new, as they didn't have that last month when I purchased. That is exactly what I have, and yes the spacer is the 1/4" one. When I add up what I paid by purchasing my ish separate, it ends up being less though...

4 x 5100's from DSM $283
    Eibach spring from Toytec $140
    2" AAL from Toytec $75
    1/4" Toytec spacer $20
    =$518

I also had to pay shipping to Canada, but I would have had to do the same thing if I bought it all from Toytec anyway.

3. Oct 6, 2010 at 1:07 PM
    BGrutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Baron
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DCSB TRD OR
    Rear-View Camera Mod, Anti-theft Tailgate, No Mud-Flaps, Diff Breather Mod, Color-matched Mirror/Handle covers, Front Valance mod, Phone/GPS/Camera mount, and Illuminated 4x4 Switch ToyTec Ultimate Lift Light Racing UCAs
    You did leave out the diff drop kit, but that's only $30.

I've thought of piecing it all together, but my main hesitation is because I like to have ONE place to call when I have a question or potential complaint. I don't like the "where did I buy that from, again?". But saving $100 is certainly appealing. I suppose I will have to price it all out, shipping included, and see what is the cheapest route. I will weigh the expense against the convenience.

Thanks for the tip.

4. Oct 6, 2010 at 1:32 PM
    BGrutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Baron
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DCSB TRD OR
    Well, I went ahead and priced everything out at Toytec, part for part. Here it is:

Front Top Plate Spacer (One - 1/4") - TP14 $19.99
    Front Differential Drop Kit - TAC-DR-05 $29.99
    Bilstein Height adjustable 5100 front and rear 5100 shocks - 05TACBILK $389.99
    1 1/2" Lift rear add-a-leaf for Tacoma with rear TSB springs - TAC-AL-TSB - $79.99
    Toytec/Eibach front coil lift springs - 892-620 $149.99
    Subtotal: $669.95

If you order the AALs with the 5100s, you save $0.99.

That mean:
    5100/Eibach Kit: $649.99
    Part by part: $668.96

So, essentially, by buying the whole kit from Toytec as opposed to piecing it together, you save $19.

However, the 5100s cost about $106 more through Toytec, rather than DSM. But, Toytec offers a discount to TW members. That discount is $19.50 for the 5100s alone. So, that means the actual difference is about $86.50. But, there is still shipping not factored in. The question there is, how much more will the shipping be from DSM, since it's being purchased alone, rather than with bunch of other crap. I will update that figure when I have an extra minute (I'm keeping people waiting as is).

Long story, $86.50 (not including the shipping difference) is what you pay for dealing with Toytec alone. Hmmm... is it worth it?

5. Oct 6, 2010 at 1:39 PM
    Fabulous

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro grill and fog lights, Toytec Boss lift, 265/70-17 Duratracs on 17 x 8.5 FN Verge wheels, LEER canopy, 30% tinted front windows.
    The difference is I got my 5100's from Sonny at Down South Motorsports for $283, which is more than $100 off what Toytec sells em for. I didn't buy the diff drop because I wanted to see what it's like before, and it seems fine...none of my fins are touching, and everything seems to drive fine with no weird noises or anything. All I got was a tiny, tiny bit of off idle vibe, and as the back end settled it is less noticable...almost like how it was stock. I would get the 5100's from DSM if it was me...just saying.

My shipping from DSM was $50 to Canada through USPS, which is way better than the $150 toytec charged me as they only do UPS.

6. Oct 6, 2010 at 2:16 PM
    BGrutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Baron
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DCSB TRD OR
    True, my only reason for saying $86.50 was factoring in the TW discount from Toytec.

I plan to get the diff drop kit as a safety measure (I'm repeating myself from a previous thread). I believe the safety precaution is worth it. They try to package them together and I have to assume it's for a reason. Also, though I might peak underneath and think everything looks good, when I accelerate or go around a curve, I know the front end will lift and put my CVs at a more severe angle. An angle which I really can't predict. So, for $30, it's worth it to me. Just one of those "what ifs" I like to avoid.

Still though, you point is valid indeed. I'm more than happy to save some money, especially if it nears $100 (with shipping factored in).

7. Oct 6, 2010 at 2:34 PM
    BGrutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Baron
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DCSB TRD OR
    More fun cost analysis. I couldn't find the $283 that you stated (I only saw $299.99), but I went with your quote anyway. Also, I guestimated $25 shipping to my zipcode (64119):

Toytec/DSM: $265.96 + $29.00 + $283 + ~$25(S/H) = $602.96
    Toytec (parts with 5100s): $635.51 + $46.35 = $681.86
    Toytec (kit): $617.49 + $52.66 = $670.15

8. Oct 6, 2010 at 2:50 PM
    Fabulous

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    When/ if you buy your 5100's from DSM, ask for Sonny, and tell him your a member of TW, and you'll get em for $283.

9. Oct 6, 2010 at 2:55 PM
    outlaw7

outlaw7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    PacNorWest
    Vehicle:
    2010 trd sport
    hey man i also have the same setup as bird i chatted with him a ton when building my lift. i have a .50 spacer left over from all my parts i bought the set but only used one on the d/s i had a .25 for the p/s so if you have the extended studs ill give you the .50 spacer if you just pay the shipping its brand new just collecting dust on a shelf.

10. Oct 6, 2010 at 3:10 PM
    Fabulous

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    If the OP doesn't want it, I'll take it for use in the future.

11. Oct 6, 2010 at 3:12 PM
    outlaw7

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    PacNorWest
    Vehicle:
    2010 trd sport
    cool you guys can duke it out whoever wants it just pm me whenever and its yours

12. Oct 6, 2010 at 3:24 PM
    BGrutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Baron
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DCSB TRD OR
    Thanks for the offer. In either case, how would we go about getting extended studs? Would you suggest we just went to Autozone or something?

13. Oct 6, 2010 at 3:25 PM
    BGrutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Baron
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DCSB TRD OR
    Actually, you can make your suggestion to Fabulous. I probably won't be able to buy my lift for a month or so. I think he's probably ready for it, now. Thanks again.

14. Oct 6, 2010 at 3:30 PM
    Fabulous

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    I already have mine on, but I might put the 1/4" to the passenger side, and a 1/2" on the drivers side in the future...like maybe a year from now, as I just got my truck aligned, and I want to leave it for now. I think you should take it dude. As for the longer bolts, I believe Toytec sells them?!

15. Oct 6, 2010 at 3:45 PM
    roxspin72

roxspin72 Enjoying my addiction

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    I got mine with discount and free shipping.

Hey, back to the Taco lean issue: Is there a certain way that the springs should be facing?

Not sure if this could effect ride hight. Well never the less, I ordered the 1/4" thick spacer, but just wanted see what you all think...

thanks..

16. Oct 6, 2010 at 3:54 PM
    outlaw7

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    PacNorWest
    Vehicle:
    2010 trd sport
    I got my studs with the top plate spacer kit from toytec and I don't think the top plate spacers will affect your alignment because you basically picking up the body off the suspension

17. Oct 6, 2010 at 4:00 PM
    Fabulous

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    I have the bottom end of the springs facing towards the back of the truck like the stock toyota ones...

18. Oct 6, 2010 at 4:23 PM
    BGrutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Baron
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DCSB TRD OR
    I guess I'll be PMing you shortly about the spacer. Thanks.

Unfortunately, just as with dialing the collar of the bili's, adding a top spacer will alter the downward angle of both the UCA and LCA. That will in turn affect alignment. This is one of the downsides of IFS.

Good idea, but unfortunately an alignment will be needed.

19. Oct 6, 2010 at 4:54 PM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    That kit did not exist when I bought mine. I bought all of my stuff separate with the exception of the 1/4" spacer. I just traced my 1/2" spacer on 1/4" steel and plasma cut it out. Shot of paint and slap it in there. If the kit claims it corrects the lean, then yes, it would be the 1/4" one.

I got my billies from DSM. Cheapest price I could find, great service, and FREE shipping!

Take Outlaw up on this offer. You can get the extended studs at Wheeler's Offroad for like $15.

Whenever you mess with your suspension or steering, you need an alignment (even if it feels fine). This particular adjustment would change your camber, which in turn changes your caster. Albeit a small amount, it has been changed nevertheless.

20. Oct 6, 2010 at 7:26 PM
    Krewblink

Krewblink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Long Beach
    Vehicle:
    05 toyo Prerunner
    Exhaust,Seat Covers, Intake
    So basically you dont need a 1/2 spacer on passenger side.. all you need is a 1/4 spacer seen here on the driver side. and thats it? im getting some 5100 and eibach tomorrow and i have to figure this out...

Products Discussed in

To Top