Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

First Gen. OME coil info

Old 10-10-2010, 02:20 AM   #1
Leadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Leadgolem's Tacoma Gallery
First Gen. OME coil info

I've been doing some research on the OME coils and thought I'd share. This is specific to first gens.

The spring capacity ratios are designed to give you a reasonable idea how much more spring capacity you'd want for heavier front accessories to maintain ride quality, such as a bumper/winch. I used the curb weight of my 1998 4wd xtracab manual for these calculations (3345 lbs), it shouldn't make much of a difference if you have a v6 (3410 lbs). I don't know the weight distribution of our trucks so I can't tell you exactly how much weight is being born by the front coils. (So, the accessory weights lower down are likely to be a bit high.) If somebody knows the weight distribution please share so I can update the figures.

Also, heavier accessories on the rear are not going to make any difference as to what coils you want up front. The weight there isn't going on the coils anyway.

By comparing various lift products I got a spring/spacer lift ratio of 1.66 to 1. Meaning a coil (or spacer) that, once under pressure, is 1" longer should provide 1.66" of lift. This took a while to figure out, and I'm not sure it is totally accurate.

Coil 880
Spring length 14.37"
Spring rate 502 lbs/in
Total spring capacity 7213 lbs
Lift amount 1 in (This is from the toytec site and used as baseline.)
Spring capacity ratio 2.15

Coil 881
Spring length 14.76"
Spring rate 502 lbs/in
Total spring capacity 7409 lbs
Estimate lift amount 1.64"
Spring capacity ratio 2.21

Recommended additional accessory weight 91 lbs
Estimated lift with accessories 1.46"

Coil 882
Spring length 15.55"
Spring rate 502 lbs/in
Total spring capacity 7806 lbs
Estimated lift amount 2.88"
Spring capacity ratio 2.33

Recommended additional accessory weight 285 lbs
Estimated lift with accessories 2.02"

FYI: The estimated lift is after the springs settle. Before that they will be about 1/2" higher.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:20 AM   #2
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Nice job, Leadgolem.

Mods, I recommend sticky in the first gen forum, or sticky it in Suspension, but it definitely needs "1st gen" added in front of the title in that case.

I found some other info when I was researching and need to dig up the PDFs on a great magazine article that compares them and some other specs, and I will attach them...once I find them.

Of note:

The OME coils are nonprogressive, but the stock OEM coils are progressive.

This table from Cruiser Outfitters is the most helpful thing around for tech spec, and it is comrensive, not just limited to 1st gen or Tacomas:
http://cruiseroutfitters.com/tech_OME_coils.html

And their offerings for 1st gen kits:
http://cruiseroutfitters.com/sus_Tacoma.html

ARB's "spec sheet," which is less technical and seems more focused on marketing, is attached.

The Wheeler's link, with some helpful guidance, but again unfortunately less technical, info:

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/ometaco.htm
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ARB-OME Tacoma spec sheet.pdf (88.6 KB, 636 views)
Old 11-10-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
dont forget 883s can also be used on 1st gens! they arent made for it but whateva...
Old 01-04-2011, 05:49 AM   #4
fsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

fsbrain03's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info!
Old 06-06-2011, 11:31 PM   #5
Scott78 is on a distinguished road

Scott78's Tacoma Gallery
Will the progressive vs. Non-progressive be an issue? Are toytec progressive?
Old 06-07-2011, 01:06 AM   #6
Scott78 is on a distinguished road

Scott78's Tacoma Gallery
I'm still lost with these fucking lifts, even after reading until the threat of divorce.

On several sites, the complete OME kits are either heavy or light (stock). I don't plan on putting a winch bumper or aftermarket bumper on the front, but I do plan on putting a canopy on the truck and I tow a pop-up camper every other week with a decent load in the bed.

So do I get the light kit with the extra D6XL, the heavy kit by itself, or the heavy with the D6XL?

By kit I mean new leafs as well as the new front, I'm not a bit fan of just doing an AAL alone for the rear.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #7
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, it's a brain fuck and time drain.

Why don't you give Wheeler's Offroad a call and discuss your needs. They are very helpful. Unhurt your brain some...
Old 10-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #8
lennys is on a distinguished road

lennys's Tacoma Gallery
I put OME 882s with a elite bumper and smitty 8k winch 158lbs added,then changed to the Icon extented C/O with a 13" 650lb spring,The OME gives my truck a 1/2" more of lift and rides night and day better on the road,
Old 12-14-2011, 01:25 PM   #9
Arctic Taco is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Name: Steve
Arctic Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I am planning on an ARB front bumper, and elite rear bumper and have a Daystar levelling kit waitng for me to get back stateside. However, I am leaning toward new shocks all around and maybe new coils up front. Any ideas?
Old 01-23-2012, 07:00 AM   #10
bigdaddytaco is on a distinguished road
Name: jared
bigdaddytaco's Tacoma Gallery
i have a ARB,with 882 it has been on for prob 4 to 5 years and is starting to sag in the front if i bought new 882 and put them on would it fis the sag for 4 to 5 more years ?
Old 01-23-2012, 07:07 AM   #11
bigdaddytaco is on a distinguished road
Name: jared
bigdaddytaco's Tacoma Gallery
would these work with nitro charger front shocks or do i need the ome that come with the oldman emu lift kit that i have on there now
Toytec/Eibach front coil lift springs

892-620
Product Details...

$149.99

Old 01-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #12

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddytaco View Post
would these work with nitro charger front shocks or do i need the ome that come with the oldman emu lift kit that i have on there now
Toytec/Eibach front coil lift springs

892-620
Product Details...

$149.99

Most people who have Eibachs recommend the Billy 5100s set on zero for use with Eibachs. The Nitrochargers are designed and valved specifically to be optimal for use with the OME 880/1/2/3 coil 500 lb ratings. And they are more expensive than Billies.

I have never heard of Nitros being paired with Eibachs.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:24 PM   #14

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxOkieTacoxx View Post
What setting should I use for the bilstein 5100 adj and ome 881's? Just bought them and not to familiar on how to preload them. I have a 2.5" taller leaf lift in the rear than stock
You must set them on zero. The OME (and Eibachs) are much stronger coils than the OEM progressive coils, which is what the 5100s were designed to "level" or lift. The 5100s spring perches were not designed to handle the preload of the stonger aftermarket coils.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #16
battleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant future

Army: 11 Bang Bang Squad leader, 25th ID, with 4 vacations to the exotic lands of the middle east.
Name: David
battleyota's Tacoma Gallery
I have the OME 883 on my taco, along with the 3.4, ARB bumper. it started to sag within a year. Its a good ride, but I'm not impress with the way how it sags so fast. Wish OME would make a coil spring that can compensate on the weight of everything including a winch.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #17
Yeti Hunter
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
so I plan to add a elite bumper to my front, looking for a 2-3 inch lift.
thinking billy 5100's and 882's for the front and billys and a AAL in the back?
how well would this work. o.O
Old 06-22-2012, 10:54 PM   #18
puddin67 is a splendid one to beholdpuddin67 is a splendid one to beholdpuddin67 is a splendid one to beholdpuddin67 is a splendid one to beholdpuddin67 is a splendid one to beholdpuddin67 is a splendid one to beholdpuddin67 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Zach
puddin67's Tacoma Gallery
im plannin on runnin 2 in shackles in the rear with 2 or 2.5 in spacers up front, anyone think this is a good or bad idea? the only real weight bearing accesories i have would be the westin bull bar up front, but i have not yet noticed any difference in my ride up front or the handling or spring sag
Old 07-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #19
cdnmtbkr will become famous soon enough

Name: Allan
cdnmtbkr's Tacoma Gallery
Just curious but what are the Toytec/Eibach springs equivalent to in OME? In other words:

Toytec/Eibach stiffness = OME 880/1/2/3/4???

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the lift/level I want to do on my '01 Taco but still confused as to which one to go with. Looking to level/lift and add 1-2" all around. Not going to be installing an aftermarket bumper or winch anytime and will be doing minimal off-roading (70/30 - highway/offroad). Just want the Taco to have a nicer, more even stance.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:54 AM   #20
Rebel Taco Man is a jewel in the roughRebel Taco Man is a jewel in the roughRebel Taco Man is a jewel in the rough

Name: Tyler
Rebel Taco Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxOkieTacoxx View Post
So the adjustable factor of my shocks is completly useless with ome coils? :/
the new coils are stronger than the stock ones, therfore its going to lift your truck without having to preload the shocks.