Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

lift options vs. offroad capabilities

Old 07-21-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
das56170 is on a distinguished road
Marines: 1st Lieutenant
das56170's Tacoma Gallery
lift options vs. offroad capabilities

I already have a lift, so this question is more out of curiosity. Everyone seems to agree that a good set of coil overs and uca's would be be the best bet for a lift if you're looking for good off road capabilites. Then maybe 5100s. Then spacers would be mostly for looks. My question is with a spacer lift what would be your off road capabilites as compared to a completely stock truck. Obviously, a spacer lift isn't going to be as good as a coilover lift, but my thinking is that a spacer lift with bigger tires has got to be better than stock. Am I right?

Like I said, I already have my lift and I'm happy with it. Just looking for opinions.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by das56170 View Post
I already have a lift, so this question is more out of curiosity. Everyone seems to agree that a good set of coil overs and uca's would be be the best bet for a lift if you're looking for good off road capabilites. Then maybe 5100s. Then spacers would be mostly for looks. My question is with a spacer lift what would be your off road capabilites as compared to a completely stock truck. Obviously, a spacer lift isn't going to be as good as a coilover lift, but my thinking is that a spacer lift with bigger tires has got to be better than stock. Am I right?

Like I said, I already have my lift and I'm happy with it. Just looking for opinions.
a spacer lift will give you more room for bigger tires, but probably isnt as solid as coilovers. billy 5100's will let you lift, and they are probably more solid and ride better than a spacer, with coilovers, you have adjustability, and with,say, total chaos ucas.......you'll have the caster back for correct alignment.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:02 PM   #3
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Coilovers add to ride comfort, height, and flex.

A spacer lift will give you a better approach, breakover, and departure angle. It will also allow for larger tires.

If your a serious off roader and have the funding (or you can save), a Coilover lift is the way to go. Toytec recently released a kit to convert Bilstien 5100s to an entire coilover kit. You could get 5100s and use those until you have the $$ to buy the conversion kit and then convert them.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:07 PM   #4
das56170 is on a distinguished road
Marines: 1st Lieutenant
das56170's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies
Old 07-21-2008, 09:53 PM   #5
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
So aside from the suggestions that the UCA's are better, which I'm sure most know.

Seems like the answer is YES, just a lift kit will allow for larger tires, more clearance, which in turns provides better approach and departure angles, which will provide more performance off road, if I have waded through the replies and discerned and deciphered this answer correctly.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:30 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
So aside from the suggestions that the UCA's are better, which I'm sure most know.

Seems like the answer is YES, just a lift kit will allow for larger tires, more clearance, which in turns provides better approach and departure angles, which will provide more performance off road, if I have waded through the replies and discerned and deciphered this answer correctly.
correct!!