LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Axle Flip

Old 10-11-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Axle Flip

So I got to thinking the other day... which never ends well. I was pondering lifting my truck and came up with a brilliant idea that I'd heard done on other trucks. Since the 5 luggers are sprung under, could I flip the axle to be sprung over for probably 2-3" of lift? I was looking at it and might run into trouble with where the shock mounts... I searched and didn't really find anything. Please forgive me if this is stupid.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
what about the front?
Old 10-11-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I would probably go with spindles in the front... this is just for the rear.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
REALLY!!
mrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: F-22 Crew Chief
Name: Brent
mrp192's Tacoma Gallery
are you talking about having the leaf spring on top of the axle?
Old 10-12-2010, 04:24 AM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
It can be done ...but it'll probably give you more like 5" of lift (guestimate).

Jeep owners do it all the time on the YJ Wranglers.

It's not a 'bolt on' type of modification. Do some research.....and lots of it before commiting to it.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:26 AM   #6
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
It can be done ...but it'll probably give you more like 5" of lift (guestimate).

Jeep owners do it all the time on the YJ Wranglers.

It's not a 'bolt on' type of modification. Do some research.....and lots of it before commiting to it.
x2...imho keep the SUA and just get a leaf pack with more arch
Old 10-12-2010, 04:29 AM   #7
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrp192 View Post
are you talking about having the leaf spring on top of the axle?
forgot what I'm doing here...that gif is bad ass...
Old 10-12-2010, 06:38 AM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
If you are thinking about flipping the axel "upside down" have the spring perches at the "top" of the axel, think really hard about that.....What direction is the truck going to go when you put it in a forward gear?
Old 10-12-2010, 06:45 AM   #9
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
If you are thinking about flipping the axel "upside down" have the spring perches at the "top" of the axel, think really hard about that.....What direction is the truck going to go when you put it in a forward gear?
lol. Certainly you jest.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:58 AM   #10
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
This is exactly what I'm going to be doing with the Scout. There are a few considerations. You cant simply flip the axle over. You have to cut off the spring perches then weld on new ones on the top. You will want to angle the pinion up a bit before you weld the perches on to correct the pinion angle for the lift. Not sure how the attach points are for the shocks on a 5 lug but you will most likely have to weld on new shock mounts as well. You will need longer brake lines as well. all in all not a really hard thing to do. Doing this procedure on the front of a solid axle 4x4 is a far more complicated process. The rear is fairly simple. I also highly suggest using a certified welder for these kind of critical suspension welds. Not sure about a 5 lug taco, but I will gain 6" or so of lift on the scout with this.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:11 AM   #11
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
^^This^^
I have no idea if there is a way to correct this, but I wouldn't have thought of it unless Chris mentioned it. I don't think you can flip the axle without flipping the third member, but I don't know for sure. I think the bolt pattern only fits one way.

On a more minor note, the diff drain plug will be located on the top of the axle so you'll have to drill/tap a new one on the bottom.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:39 AM   #12
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Matic's Tacoma Gallery
I think that maybe the OP is curious about a "SPOA" lift as Seth has mentioned.
I'm currently starting this project on my samurai.
Basically it's a free lift with a little bit of labor. If you have a "SPUA", you can weld new spring perches on top of the axles. Cut/gring/remove the old perches from underneath the axle and weld new spring perches on top of the axle basically giving you an "X" amount of lift equal to the depth of your axle + SP.
It's very easy to do. very few measurements and some eyeballing.
Very common on zukes, scouts and zukes with toyota axles and/or yj springs.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:59 AM   #13
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly?

For the amount of effort (time, $$) you'd put into your 5 lug tacoma to go spring-over axle ( 5" of lift ) PLUS get the front IFS to match the rear.....

Trade-in your 5 lug and get a Prerunner.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:01 AM   #14

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, i would obviously not just flip the axle over. I guess i used the wrong term for it but i am talking about the spring over lift. I actually got the idea from the samurai. Thanks for all the info.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:06 AM   #15

Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Honestly?

For the amount of effort (time, $$) you'd put into your 5 lug tacoma to go spring-over axle ( 5" of lift ) PLUS get the front IFS to match the rear.....

Trade-in your 5 lug and get a Prerunner.
There's very little cost and hardly any effort into doing a SPOA. Not only is it low cost but also adds the benefit of not snaggin jaggies if he decides to do a bit of 2 wheelin.

Time=8 hrs. A few buddies, pizza, beer
Cost= a set of spring perches, extended brake lines.
tools=welder, grinder.
Sure there's a lil bit more than that, but it's very do able.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:07 AM   #16
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Plenty of options for your 5-lug.....even custom shock mounts for the flip. btw guys, he's talking about doing a spring over which would leave him with 2 choices, using square u-bolts and 4x4/PR u-bolt plates, or also doing a u-bolt flip too, like in my 3rd pic. It needed to be long to keep the e-brake cable from contacting the shock on the 4x4 model.
Attached Thumbnails
Axle Flip-captured-2004-8-12-00003.jpg   Axle Flip-captured-2004-4-7-00003.jpg   Axle Flip-captured-2004-8-9-00003.jpg   Axle Flip-beefed-handling-kit-00014.jpg   Axle Flip-frame-brace-00005.jpg  

Axle Flip-lead_tacoma-1.jpg  
Old 10-12-2010, 08:14 AM   #17
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matic View Post
There's very little cost and hardly any effort into doing a SPOA. Not only is it low cost but also adds the benefit of not snaggin jaggies if he decides to do a bit of 2 wheelin.
Very little cost & time?
For someone who's mechanically inclined, has a garage, and all the tools needed to do it..... Sure. But for someone who doesn't have much or any mechanical experience, doesn't have the room (garage), and doesn't have the tools /jacks/lifts/cutting grinding tools - it'll be expensive to pay people to do all the work.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:18 AM   #18
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Very little cost & time?
For someone who's mechanically inclined, has a garage, and all the tools needed to do it..... Sure. But for someone who doesn't have much or any mechanical experience, doesn't have the room (garage), and doesn't have the tools /jacks/lifts/cutting grinding tools - it'll be expensive to pay people to do all the work.
hahaha, just bring some pizza and beer and we'll turn that thing into a trophy truck...your $ is no good here....but there better be anchovies and the beer nothing less than Heineken.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:19 AM   #19
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefed Taco View Post
Plenty of options for your 5-lug.....even custom shock mounts for the flip. btw guys, he's talking about going spring over not flipping the entire axle assembly.
nice shackles, got any for a 2nd gen?
Old 10-12-2010, 08:22 AM   #20

Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreRunnerSeth View Post
This is exactly what I'm going to be doing with the Scout. There are a few considerations. You cant simply flip the axle over. You have to cut off the spring perches then weld on new ones on the top. You will want to angle the pinion up a bit before you weld the perches on to correct the pinion angle for the lift. Not sure how the attach points are for the shocks on a 5 lug but you will most likely have to weld on new shock mounts as well. You will need longer brake lines as well. all in all not a really hard thing to do. Doing this procedure on the front of a solid axle 4x4 is a far more complicated process. The rear is fairly simple. I also highly suggest using a certified welder for these kind of critical suspension welds. Not sure about a 5 lug taco, but I will gain 6" or so of lift on the scout with this.
Actually, for the scout lift I would just go this route.

http://scoutparts.com/products/?view...oduct_id=14219