Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Alternative Bump Stops

Old 10-17-2010, 09:34 PM   #1
DaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
DaWillDaBeast's Tacoma Gallery
Alternative Bump Stops

So when I lifted my rear I ended up getting a set of Bilstein 5125's in the 10.17" length and they were a little to long and were getting fully compressed before I was on my bump stops, so I needed some new ones but I'm a chepo and didn't want to nearly $200 for a set of bump stops. So I bought a set of Energy Suspension 4 1/2" bump stops and made them work

I started with some stock bumps modded to fit with the All Pro flip kit

Cut the stock bumps off

Then took the energy suspension bumps

Cut the bolt off

Drilled the center out so the bolt on the leaf pack has room

Put a few welds on to hold it all together

Then mounted them up

I'm very happy with the outcome and I think its a great alternative for those that are on a budget and don't mind a little work. On a side note I also have an extra set of the same Energy bump stops I'd like to get rid of if anyone is interested
Old 10-17-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
WTF
1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

1TUFFTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Nice!
Old 10-18-2010, 05:34 PM   #4
DaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Wow those are huuuuge. Nice.
Ya they are big, but no bigger than the timbren bumps (I think?)
Old 10-18-2010, 05:49 PM   #5
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWillDaBeast View Post
Ya they are big, but no bigger than the timbren bumps (I think?)
Maybe it's the bright color that's throwing me .
Old 10-18-2010, 05:54 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Looking forward to testing those Wheeler's Superbumps I got comin...eventually...when Wheeler's ships them...right around the Winter Solstice...
Old 10-18-2010, 05:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
Too big!!! They might limit your travel in the rear. Flex'em out and lets see how much the bumps flex.
I had to make them big because my rear shocks were fully compressed before hitting my bumps when I was fully stuffed using the stock ones. With these the frame hits the bumps right before my shocks are fully compressed so that I dont blow my shocks, but I still get nearly 100% compression.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:00 PM   #8

Quote:
What length of travel shock are you running?
Bili 5125's in 10.17"
Old 10-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Damn, I figured you have to run a 12 to run into that problem.

Good job on the bumps man, hope they work out for you.
Ya, I knew it was going to be close when I ordered them but I could not find many people running 5125's so I went for it, and it required a bit more work than i was hoping. But at least I have some sweet droop in the rear now.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:51 AM   #11
StatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud of

Name: Joey
StatutoryAPE's Tacoma Gallery

on this pic it looks like your shock is facing outwards. shouldnt the mounting holes/bolts be facing out instead? not sure if anyone else noticed. if im wrong let me know
Old 10-19-2010, 08:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatutoryAPE View Post

on this pic it looks like your shock is facing outwards. shouldnt the mounting holes/bolts be facing out instead? not sure if anyone else noticed. if im wrong let me know
I'm not sure I know what you mean? The shock adaptors bolts are facing outward?
Old 10-19-2010, 08:29 AM   #13
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm not sure I know what you mean? The shock adaptors bolts are facing outward?
The axle moves forward and backward as the suspension cycles. If you rotate that upper mount so the bolt is perpendicular to the frame, you'll be less likely to experience binding at that upper shock mount.

You can see in your picture how the upper mount is already flexing quite a bit. When the suspension compresses, the bottom of the shock is going to move backward even further than it is in this picture. Something to consider.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:58 AM   #14
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
those look sweet will!

you have a side by side shot of the new ones and the stockers? i'm curious how they compare size-wise to the timbrens. her's a picture of the stock vs timbren
Old 10-19-2010, 09:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
The axle moves forward and backward as the suspension cycles. If you rotate that upper mount so the bolt is perpendicular to the frame, you'll be less likely to experience binding at that upper shock mount.

You can see in your picture how the upper mount is already flexing quite a bit. When the suspension compresses, the bottom of the shock is going to move backward even further than it is in this picture. Something to consider.
Ohhh, I see exactly what your saying. I'm at work now so I can't check but I believe the reason I put them on that way is because the adaptor hits that metal lip around the tower if I try and turn it anymore. You think they will be fine like they are or should I try and grind that ring down some so I can get it perpendicular?
Old 10-19-2010, 09:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
those look sweet will!

you have a side by side shot of the new ones and the stockers? i'm curious how they compare size-wise to the timbrens. her's a picture of the stock vs timbren
I was wondering the exact same thing, I'll take a pic when I get home.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:39 AM   #17
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ohhh, I see exactly what your saying. I'm at work now so I can't check but I believe the reason I put them on that way is because the adaptor hits that metal lip around the tower if I try and turn it anymore. You think they will be fine like they are or should I try and grind that ring down some so I can get it perpendicular?
I'd try my best to get that mount rotated if it was my truck. It'll definitely be less wear on the shock eye bushings.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:56 AM   #18
Chachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same shock adapter and mine is rotated. The way i did it was i mounted the adapter to the shock and then bolted it into the mount.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:55 AM   #19
StatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud of

Name: Joey
StatutoryAPE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
I'd try my best to get that mount rotated if it was my truck. It'll definitely be less wear on the shock eye bushings.
x2 on that. i would be afraid that my shock eye would break off if i hit a pothole or was wheeling hard.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:47 PM   #20
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Have you guys checked out our Super Bumps? They should be back in stock in a couple weeks.