1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Help: OME coils installed wrong

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by wilsonpj, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Mar 3, 2011 at 6:29 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    I noticed that theres a shiny steel washer/spacer on this side but not the other & is that normal placement of spring perch ? All others I've seen are flipped the other way ???

[​IMG]

2. Mar 4, 2011 at 12:05 AM
    Valley Viking

Valley Viking Well-Known Member

Member:
    Menlo, WA
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 DC LB SR5
    OME 885 Coils, OME Dakar Rear Leafs, OME NitroCharger Shocks, LR UCA's, AFE ProDry Air Filter, Scanguage, Wet Okole Seat Covers
    The shiney thingy is the 5mm trim packer. That's where it's supposed to be on the drivers side only. Tacoma's have the weight of the battery and fuel tank on the drivers side, the trim packer helps level the truck from side to side.

sfcacique likes this.
  3. Mar 4, 2011 at 5:12 AM
    crawldad

crawldad Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR 4X4 Quicksand
  4. May 2, 2011 at 11:40 PM
    james

james In over my head...

Member:
    Friday Harbor, WA: Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    '98 Tacoma V6
  5. May 2, 2011 at 11:56 PM
    Madtown Taco

Madtown Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport SR5 DC LB 4x4
    Gun Metal FJ Cruiser TRD Wheels, Black Head Lights, I-pod Patch Cable for Stock Head Unit, In-Cab 115V outlets, Aries Bull Bar, 12V outlets in Bed, Snug Top Super Sport Topper, Hard-Wired Valentine 1 Radar Detector, Disabled Automatic Air Conditioning for Windshield Vent Setting, Additional D-Rings in Bed, 12-Volt Pop-N-Lock Solenoid in Tailgate Handle, TRD Front Seat Covers, WeatherTech Floor Mats
    See, this is the stuff that makes me reluctant to lift my truck. I've just about got enough scratch saved up for a the lift and the ARB front bumper. Don't get me wrong, it totally transforms your ride, and for the better, but all that aside, if it rides like crap it's almost not worth it. I've got a car that I lowered some years ago. It looks so much better, has a lot less body roll when taking corners fast, but unless the pavement is in mint condition, you feel every little bump in the road. And that's not taking in account the thrashing you get when crossing train tracks and large pot holes. Sometimes you have to go with "if it ain't broke, don't mess with it."

Don't get me wrong, I'll probably still go ahead with the lift, but I'm a little nervous of the truck having issues along the lines of this thread, or worse.

6. May 3, 2011 at 12:03 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    There doesn't seem like there was a resolution to this thread , but I am willing to bet the OME coil was contacting the sway bar , the OME's are not supposed to hit , but some have had the experience that they do , an easy fix for this is a sway bar relocate from Toytec
    This was observed by TW member bjmoose in his OME install thread here http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/su...talls-full-ome-kit-rear-brake-lines-pics.html

FWIW , I just installed the OME lift last week , no issues , no vibes . I'm very satisfied with it .

7. Jan 12, 2013 at 11:41 AM
    davidjmay

davidjmay Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Orange County/Azusa
    Vehicle:
    '00 PreRunner
    Pioneer HU & door speakers, Alpine type R, Kicker dx1000.1, OME 883 lift, Wheelers 2" AAL, custom mesh grille, smoked LED taillights, LED light bar, Raptor exhaust dumped before axle, custom fabbed roll bar/light bar mount
    Not to threadjack, but how are these coils put together? on your pictures there seems to be a round black piece sticking out of the top, and I'm not sure what it is. Attached is what I have for the coils, and how i think its supposed to be put together... with the coil of course. Any ideas?

IMAG0158.jpg
    IMAG0159.jpg

8. Jan 13, 2013 at 9:58 AM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    Do you have two bushings on the top of the shock? Once you take the old shock/strut assembly apart it will be pretty clear how they go back together. You have to reuse the sock top hat/ top plate. It goes in between the dust boot and bushing.

9. Jan 13, 2013 at 11:55 AM
    davidjmay

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Orange County/Azusa
    Vehicle:
    '00 PreRunner
    Pioneer HU & door speakers, Alpine type R, Kicker dx1000.1, OME 883 lift, Wheelers 2" AAL, custom mesh grille, smoked LED taillights, LED light bar, Raptor exhaust dumped before axle, custom fabbed roll bar/light bar mount
    Whats the sock top hat? Its weird because my stock setup doesnt have anything like that

10. Jan 13, 2013 at 12:39 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    I meant stock not sock. The top plate holds the coil in place on the top end of the assembly.

11. Jan 13, 2013 at 8:40 PM
    davidjmay

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Orange County/Azusa
    Vehicle:
    '00 PreRunner
    I know what the top plate is, I'm just not sure what I'm missing. If you look on OP's pics it shows the top of the coilover, with a black part sticking out of the top

12. Jan 13, 2013 at 8:45 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Im not sure exatly what you are refering to. The shock tower sticks up under the bushing? If you can save the picture to your computer open it in paint and draw an arrow to the part your talking about then post it.

13. Jan 13, 2013 at 8:58 PM
    sir1123

sir1123 Tacomas FTMFW!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Charleston
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5 Prerunner, Black,3.4L
    3"Ebaich with 5100 Bilstiens, K&N cai, 5% 3M Tint, Magnaflow 18", Hella 500s with 35w 3000k hid retro, 33x9.5x15 BFG A/T
    So i have a 1st gen and i had the exact same noise with my first skyjacker lift...it turned out to be that the top of the spindle would wack my coil when it would droop like over a speed bump....to fix i had to take the strut back off and turn the spring a few inches to allow for the spindle to go inbetween the spring rather than hitting it....this fixed me and a buddies over the speed bump thud problem......so check and see is the spindle is touching your springs at full droop by lifting the front of the truck up from the frame.

14. Jan 13, 2013 at 9:16 PM
    kai38`

kai38` Well-Known Member

Member:
    I believe the flat part of the spring goes to the bottom, that could be the problem.

15. Jan 13, 2013 at 10:32 PM
    davidjmay

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Orange County/Azusa
    Vehicle:
    '00 PreRunner
    I'll do it tomorrow on my computer. Stay posted :thumbsup:

16. Jan 14, 2013 at 5:51 PM
    davidjmay

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Orange County/Azusa
    Vehicle:
    '00 PreRunner
    evanmb31, here is what I'm talking about. See how his has that black part sticking up in the middle, and mine doesnt... :confused:
    [​IMG]
    Here's mine:
    [​IMG]

17. Jan 14, 2013 at 5:53 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Oh snap lol. Youre first gen, the picture in the OP is second gen. No wonder why we were both confused.

18. Jan 14, 2013 at 5:58 PM
    davidjmay

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Orange County/Azusa
    Vehicle:
    '00 PreRunner
    Hahaha that makes sense. :facepalm:

19. Jan 20, 2013 at 4:46 PM
    samsung

samsung Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner doublecab TRD Offroad
    undercover lid/Ipod integration kit/Pop n lock/bed rug, fumoto drain valve, full piping Wet Okole covers, Blacked out badges, Lamin-X fog light cover yellow, window tint, ARB deluxe bumper with fog light kit,DSM UCA'S,3 support shrockworks sliders,complete OME lift with 886X coil and dakar leaf spring with 3 degree axle shims and center pin lenghtener,warn VR10000 winch,amsteele blue synthetic rope, daystar winch isolator, daystar delrin rollers, IPF 900xs Extreme Driving H9 Kit 900XSD (900XSD),Horn on fire with shot Penning,
    i have the same problem as OP and it's not the sway bar hitting the coils. i've put some duct tape on the sway bar where i suspected it to hit the coil and there is no sign of rub on the duct tape. it's something else.

20. Jan 20, 2013 at 4:51 PM
    samsung

samsung Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner doublecab TRD Offroad
    undercover lid/Ipod integration kit/Pop n lock/bed rug, fumoto drain valve, full piping Wet Okole covers, Blacked out badges, Lamin-X fog light cover yellow, window tint, ARB deluxe bumper with fog light kit,DSM UCA'S,3 support shrockworks sliders,complete OME lift with 886X coil and dakar leaf spring with 3 degree axle shims and center pin lenghtener,warn VR10000 winch,amsteele blue synthetic rope, daystar winch isolator, daystar delrin rollers, IPF 900xs Extreme Driving H9 Kit 900XSD (900XSD),Horn on fire with shot Penning,
    i have DSM uca's and i have that problem too, so it's not your stock uca's.

Products Discussed in

To Top