Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Curious:

Old 10-21-2010, 07:03 AM   #2
The Messiah
90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
90YotaPU's Tacoma Gallery
It's my understanding that the rear 5100's are not adjustable.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:19 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmooze View Post
That's correct. Only the fronts are adjustable. But can I install the rear 5100s without having to add a leaf/block?

And can the front ones be set for 0" lift and be used with the stock coils?
Not sure about the rears but I believe you can run the 5100's in the front and set them at 0 with your stock coils. There was a thread about this talking about ride improvement and I remembered reading that. If I can find the thread to verify I'll post it.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmooze View Post
That's correct. Only the fronts are adjustable. But can I install the rear 5100s without having to add a leaf/block?

And can the front ones be set for 0" lift and be used with the stock coils?
Yes and yes....no problems doing either.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:47 PM   #6
bigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
bigmooze's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys. I was faced with the growling front diff after lifting ~2.5" in the front. Wanting to keep the improved ride of the 5100's, I have just finished swapping out the 1.6" Eibach coils for the stock coils. I set the front 5100's to 0" lift.

I will re-install my stock UCAs and see whether the growl stops. I'm planning to leave the 1.5" AAL and 5100's in the back, but if I have too much vibration then the leaf will also be removed. I'll keep the 5100's back there.

It might just be me, but I thought I could still notice a bit of lift up front even at 0" on the 5100's... but they are set at stock height.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:00 PM   #7
bigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I didn't try. The diff drop doesn't sound too enticing to me since it alters the driveline angle for the front drive shaft. I rather not screw with the angles too much. If I can maintain close to the lifted ride quality and chop up the dirt with stock ride height then I'll be happy. Only thing missing will be the better stance, which everyone has loved.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
thanks for the reply. Did you ditch the front lift first and keep the AAL and Billy 5100s on back?
Or did you go back to all stock susp?
Just wondering if you think it was caused by lifting the front or the back or both?
I kept the billies on all four corners. The ride is improved in my opinion, compared to the stock shocks. It feels somewhat more dampened when hitting bumps etc., more controlled.

I originally kept the 1.5" AAL in the back, but was concerned about a driveline vibration at take off from stop lights. I removed the AAL and the vibe stopped.

I have Firestone Ride-Rites ready to be installed when I get the time and the weather's cooperation. These will give the stock AALs some support, and also keep the truck level when towing/hauling my ATV.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:14 AM   #12
Outlaw has a spectacular aura aboutOutlaw has a spectacular aura aboutOutlaw has a spectacular aura about

Outlaw's Tacoma Gallery
thanks again for the reply.
Most of the new vehicles without any mods are still getting the take off vibration. I too have become concerned, but havent tried shims or a CB drop.
My AAL definately raised my rear significantly, i just wasnt sure if Im getting the vibration/ drone at various speeds when foot is on the accelerator due to the front or rear lift. My front wasnt raised as much as the rear and I never noticed the vibes until it started getting colder. i might try the 3*shims and see if that helps improve the driveline angles.
I only have 7,000 miles on my truck and would hate to have to replace my U joints!
Old 12-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
thanks again for the reply.
Most of the new vehicles without any mods are still getting the take off vibration. I too have become concerned, but havent tried shims or a CB drop.
My AAL definately raised my rear significantly, i just wasnt sure if Im getting the vibration/ drone at various speeds when foot is on the accelerator due to the front or rear lift. My front wasnt raised as much as the rear and I never noticed the vibes until it started getting colder. i might try the 3*shims and see if that helps improve the driveline angles.
I only have 7,000 miles on my truck and would hate to have to replace my U joints!
Yeah since I got the truck two years ago I had a minor vibe at lower speeds. I brought it to the dealership's attention and the couldn't find anything wrong.

This summer, while the truck was in for a problem with the binding drive shaft slip yoke, they noticed the vibe during a test drive and applied TSB #3018 (a Canadian TSB number?), in which the transmission mount was replaced. The take off vibe is now undetectable.