Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

What does everyone think about the 2.5" Toytect Pro Basic Kit?

Old 07-24-2008, 06:56 PM   #1
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
What does everyone think about the 2.5" Toytect Pro Basic Kit?

Lift height?
Look good?
Ride quality?
Can I fit bigger tires than 265's?

Thanks
Old 07-24-2008, 07:46 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
agree with Timmer. Ask your self what you need the lift for? Spend a little more for the springs.
Timmer, +1 on the tire formula!
Old 07-24-2008, 09:51 PM   #3
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmer View Post
Ill tell you what bud I would very likely spend the additional 100 bucks and get the OME3-05-AL coil over lift instead with the 885's Im pretty sure you can use w/ original equipment shocks if budget restraints require it. and perhaps swap up later? it will likely be a bit stiffer.

of course you could get the suspension TSB done (if not already and still under warrantee ) and consentrate your funds on the front for now.

try touching base w/ Chris4x4 he is a wealth of info on these OME type lift kits

a 265/70r17 32" tire is a pretty good all around tire for our trucks

FWIW 265 is a description of tire Width the 70 is the ration of height to width.

the formula to convert to inches is basically (265 x .70)2 /25.4) + 17 for height and 265/25.4 for width.

best of luck with you lift buddy and dont worry your taco will look

Sweeeeeeeeet!!

timmer

I did this lift. The Medium springs, and add a leafs and am very happy. I went with the 265/75/16 Bridgestone Revo's and am very pleased. The look and ride are perfect.

This is one of the most dramatic things you can do for the truck besides tints to change the look entirely.

About $330 for the kit

$300 to install and balance and align.

And $1000 for tires.

Greatest mod I've done.

Just do it, and trust me that you'll be very pleased.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:42 PM   #4
Be a fountain, not a drain.
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevin
bambooshoots's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
I did this lift. The Medium springs, and add a leafs and am very happy. I went with the 265/75/16 Bridgestone Revo's and am very pleased. The look and ride are perfect.

This is one of the most dramatic things you can do for the truck besides tints to change the look entirely.

About $330 for the kit

$300 to install and balance and align.

And $1000 for tires.

Greatest mod I've done.

Just do it, and trust me that you'll be very pleased.
This is what I needed to hear.

What are the differences between the OME 884/885/886 coils? What are each one used for?

I don't plan on adding an aftermarket bumper; will the 884 coil be enough?
Old 08-05-2008, 02:04 PM   #5
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
OME-884 coils are recommended for 2" of lift on stock applications with no additional weight, and OME-885 coils are recommended for 2.5" of lift on medium load applications with 70 - 180lbs additional weight over stock (either a bull bar w/ no winch, or a winch w/o a bull bar).
Are the inches of lift given for a doublecab? I noticed that on the Toytec webpage the 885 coils will be required for a full 3" of lift on a Doublecab, so it makes sense that a 884 would give about 2" of lift.

Also, what happened in that avatar of yours?
Old 08-05-2008, 02:45 PM   #6
Justin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud of

Justin626's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambooshoots View Post
This is what I needed to hear.

What are the differences between the OME 884/885/886 coils? What are each one used for?

I don't plan on adding an aftermarket bumper; will the 884 coil be enough?
The 884's are for access cab's, 885's are for double cab or an addition 100lbs +/- front weight, and the 886's, are for 200lbs +/- front weight like having both a aftermarket bumper and winch. All provide 3" lift w/ toytec spacer
Old 08-05-2008, 03:07 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
Thats just what OME states the coils will give you. I had 885's and I also had the spacer to give me the full 3" lift. After getting 886's I installed the 885's on a friends Taco (06 DC 4x4 TRD OR) without the spacer. He was running 265/75/16's and it looked really nice. I would get the 885's.

nothing... just climbing and someone took a pic.
Thanks for the clarification. And I asked about your pic cause I thought it was a pic of a car wreck ...I need some sleep.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:43 PM   #8
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Get the 885's. Good to know the front can take a bumper
Old 09-06-2008, 06:40 AM   #9
Happy Camper
SamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SamSter0077's Tacoma Gallery
been reading a lot of forums.. I think I have it narrowed down. I have a PreRunner, DC with the TSB back end. I measured yesterday, and I have quite a bit of front rake. I think I will probably just buy the coils for the front. Question is which coil to buy, 884, or 885? I will keep the Factory Bilsteins up front.. (tire 265/75/16) Suggestions?

This is obviously the first step of many..

-Sam
Old 09-06-2008, 06:48 AM   #10
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSter0077 View Post
been reading a lot of forums.. I think I have it narrowed down. I have a PreRunner, DC with the TSB back end. I measured yesterday, and I have quite a bit of front rake. I think I will probably just buy the coils for the front. Question is which coil to buy, 884, or 885? I will keep the Factory Bilsteins up front.. (tire 265/75/16) Suggestions?

This is obviously the first step of many..

-Sam
FWIW, The OEM Bilstiens are nowhere near capable of dampning the OME springs. Your a double cab, and If you want 3" lift, get the 885 coils. I recomend the N140S shocks to go with them. This might put your back end a little lower than the front. Get a long 1" AAL for the rear springs. If you dont want to lift the rear, get the OME 884 springs, but once again I recomend the N140S shocks.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:42 AM   #11
I had been looking at the 2.5" lift kit from Toytec but went with Bilstein 5100s set at 1.75" and AALs in the rear.

Very pleased.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:35 AM   #12
Happy Camper
SamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
FWIW, The OEM Bilstiens are nowhere near capable of dampning the OME springs. Your a double cab, and If you want 3" lift, get the 885 coils. I recomend the N140S shocks to go with them. This might put your back end a little lower than the front. Get a long 1" AAL for the rear springs. If you dont want to lift the rear, get the OME 884 springs, but once again I recomend the N140S shocks.
Long AAL will work with TSB springs in back? Can I still load the back to the brim, and tow without the truck looking like it has too much weight in back?

Shocks and springs up front, and I am at the 500+ mark.. Is my ride going to suck that bad with the stock Bilsteins?

When someone says they have the 5100's set to 1.75" up front.. I understand that is preloading the stock springs, but is that a 1.75" lift in front?

I do not want a crappy ride, and I am not replacing the uca's. I would like my Alignment to stay in spec too. In time, I will buy another Tacoma 4wd TRD that I will go all out on.. I guess for now, I want a enough lift so it does NOT look stock.. make sense?

-Sam

PS- sorry for all the questions, I think you guys are great to help people like me out with this.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:50 AM   #13
Quote:
Long AAL will work with TSB springs in back? Can I still load the back to the brim, and tow without the truck looking like it has too much weight in back?

Shocks and springs up front, and I am at the 500+ mark.. Is my ride going to suck that bad with the stock Bilsteins?

When someone says they have the 5100's set to 1.75" up front.. I understand that is preloading the stock springs, but is that a 1.75" lift in front?

I do not want a crappy ride, and I am not replacing the uca's. I would like my Alignment to stay in spec too. In time, I will buy another Tacoma 4wd TRD that I will go all out on.. I guess for now, I want a enough lift so it does NOT look stock.. make sense?

-Sam

PS- sorry for all the questions, I think you guys are great to help people like me out with this.
My truck rides better, IMO, now with the upgraded suspension.

I've never measured the ride before and after, but it is indeed higher.

Before:

After:
Old 09-06-2008, 11:05 AM   #14
Happy Camper

Nice, Thanks for the pictures.. looks like it needs bigger tires.. That is basically all I am looking for.. Now if I can confirm the AAL works with the TSB springs in back, I am good to go. Your 5100's are set to 1.75 and go up to 2.5...?

I am guessing you do NOT have the TSB back end?

-Sam
Old 09-06-2008, 11:16 AM   #15
Quote:
Nice, Thanks for the pictures.. looks like it needs bigger tires.. That is basically all I am looking for.. Now if I can confirm the AAL works with the TSB springs in back, I am good to go. Your 5100's are set to 1.75 and go up to 2.5...?

I am guessing you do NOT have the TSB back end?

-Sam
Tires are next. As soon as I have some $800 saved up for some Bridestone Dueler Revos...in size 265/75/16.

I don't think the TSB will work with the Alcan AAL from Toytec.com. The TSB is basically that: an additional leaf spring. I had to go the AAL route because I bought my truck used and without a warranty. It it had been under warranty I would have just gotten the TSB done and bought only the Bilstein 5100s.

5100s are good for 0.00" 0.85" 1.75" 2.5."

So NO, I did not have the TSB performed on the back end of my truck.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:28 AM   #16
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambooshoots View Post
Tires are next. As soon as I have some $800 saved up for some Bridestone Dueler Revos...in size 265/75/16.

I don't think the TSB will work with the Alcan AAL from Toytec.com. The TSB is basically that: an additional leaf spring. I had to go the AAL route because I bought my truck used and without a warranty. It it had been under warranty I would have just gotten the TSB done and bought only the Bilstein 5100s.

5100s are good for 0.00" 0.85" 1.75" 2.5."

So NO, I did not have the TSB performed on the back end of my truck.
So, 5100's up front should be good enough for me eh? Can you set them at what ever you want without having to take them apart? Would be nice to be able to change it without having to do an alignment every time. speaking of which.. how was your alignment after the fact? Can you tell me the difference in ride in the front end? Ride as in.. typical freeway ride.

Thanks,
Sam

PS- so those are factory 245/75/16's on there now?
Old 09-06-2008, 12:21 PM   #17
Quote:
So, 5100's up front should be good enough for me eh? Can you set them at what ever you want without having to take them apart? Would be nice to be able to change it without having to do an alignment every time. speaking of which.. how was your alignment after the fact? Can you tell me the difference in ride in the front end? Ride as in.. typical freeway ride.

Thanks,
Sam

PS- so those are factory 245/75/16's on there now?
Well, at the time I was busy so I just dropped my truck off at a shop for an entire morning to have the shocks and AALs installed. I didnt' actually install them myself.

If you wanted to change the height, you'll probably have the remove the shocks completely every time.

It's a good idea to have an alignment done whenever the suspension/steering is messed with so I got that done as well. To be honest, the steering was wobbly and went all over the road when I first got it. After the tie rods were replaced and the Bilsteins were installed with another alignment did the truck not run all over the road.

The shocks perform great. Dips that would completely compress the OEM shocks before are now just comfortable to drive through, at faster speeds.

Stock BFG Rugged Trails 265/70/16. They suck. The truck has 58K on it; not sure if the previous owners replaced the factory tires with the same ones or if the tires currently on my truck have been on it since it's rolled off the assembly line.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:30 PM   #18
Happy Camper

?

Cool, thanks. Looks like 5100's up front make the most sense for me as a first step, if I can get a deal... might buy 4 of them. Seen some posts, 2 are 199.00 and 4 are 259.00??

will see.

Thanks Bambooshoots & TW crew!

I have one last question to post about adjusting the 5100's under suspensions..
Old 09-06-2008, 01:48 PM   #19
Quote:
Cool, thanks. Looks like 5100's up front make the most sense for me as a first step, if I can get a deal... might buy 4 of them. Seen some posts, 2 are 199.00 and 4 are 259.00??

will see.

Thanks Bambooshoots & TW crew!

I have one last question to post about adjusting the 5100's under suspensions..
I belive I got mine off eBay from Downsouth motorsports. Front and rear.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:13 PM   #20

Quote:

-Sam

With a long AAL you will be fine. Im running a long AAL with my TSB spring pack and it works great. Still flexes like stock, and when towing my boat, gear, food, drinks, and buddies, the rear is only about 1" lower than the front. I have some pics in my gallery of my truck hitched up to my boat (2900#'s) if you want to check it out. With the boat only it sits level. At 1.75" of lift, you should be able to get the alignment within spec. For an AAL, get one that is only 1" of lift, otherwise the ride will get a little stiff.