Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Rear blocks or AAL?

Old 07-25-2008, 08:29 PM   #1
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Rear blocks or AAL?

Toytec recommends that for a 3" lift you use rear blocks instead of AAL with 2007 and newer models?

Does everyone agree with that?

What is a TSB?
Old 07-25-2008, 08:31 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by socolax91 View Post
Toytec recommends that for a 3" lift you use rear blocks instead of AAL with 2007 and newer models?

Does everyone agree with that?
well i think it really depends on the driving style...like off roading alot, but i would think an aal would be fine, and less chance of messing up with that over a spacer, or so i think anyway!
Old 07-25-2008, 08:42 PM   #3
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
it depends on if u've had the tsb done (or have 4 leafs in the back). if so, then they recommend blocks b/c the tsb basically puts in an AAL
Old 07-25-2008, 09:12 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
it depends on if u've had the tsb done (or have 4 leafs in the back). if so, then they recommend blocks b/c the tsb basically puts in an AAL
I hear this alot. The TSB springs are an entire pack with a different spring rate. Not an AAL thrown into the pack. I have the TSB springs and a long AAL and it flexes just like stock, and is a bit softer when unloaded.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:31 PM   #5
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I hear this alot. The TSB springs are an entire pack with a different spring rate. Not an AAL thrown into the pack. I have the TSB springs and a long AAL and it flexes just like stock, and is a bit softer when unloaded.
Don't you have to trim the AAL to get it to work with the TSB springs?
Old 07-25-2008, 09:31 PM   #6
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
well i stand corrected then
Old 07-25-2008, 09:55 PM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoTRD View Post
Don't you have to trim the AAL to get it to work with the TSB springs?
I didnt, Mine were custom made, and I took them from my stock pack and they fit perfect in the TSB pack.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:52 AM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Option #3 - get an entirely new leaf pak.

Blocks are bad if you're gonna do any offroading. I've seen atleast 4-5 blocks get spit out of a leaf pak because they can crack & break under the torque.

AAL's are OK - but they put your original leaf paks under stress. Your original leafs weren't designed to bend in the direction an AAL put them in. AAL's can also sag over time...

You're much better off getting an entirely new leaf pak that's designed for the lift you want. It'll cost more - but you'll be much happier in the long run.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:13 AM   #9
Pat will become famous soon enough

Pat's Tacoma Gallery
OME Dakar is a nice full leaf pack. I've seen them for $330 compared to Deaver or another brand charging you $600.