Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

How hard is it to install a lift kit yourself?

Old 07-25-2008, 08:12 PM   #1
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
How hard is it to install a lift kit yourself?

I'm thinking about the toytec 3" lift with AAL but I don't really want to pay the install prices. Is it hard to install myself?

I have only changed headlights in my truck so I don't have to most experience.

I have two friends how ever that installed their lift kits on their trucks and should I trust them that they can do mine too?
Old 07-25-2008, 08:13 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Its pretty easy. Just need a spring compressor, and basic hand tools. If you get stuck, Im sure someone online can help ya.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:26 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
definitely.....save the $$$ and diy!!! you'll be glad you did, plus, you'll get to know your truck a little better!!!
Old 07-25-2008, 08:27 PM   #4
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
EquinsuOcha's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Its pretty easy. Just need a spring compressor, and basic hand tools. If you get stuck, Im sure someone online can help ya.
Ditto. I did mine myself. Just rent a spring compressor from your local Auto Zone or similar store. Air tools make it way easy, but hand tools are fine too.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:58 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquinsuOcha View Post
Air tools make it way easy, but hand tools are fine too.
X2! Why do I always think everyone has airtools and a compressor?
Old 07-25-2008, 09:40 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
X2! Why do I always think everyone has airtools and a compressor?
when we finally get outta this condo and get a house with a garage..................a good compressor is gonna be mandatory!!
Old 07-25-2008, 10:09 PM   #7
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Not just a spring compressor, but also remove upper sway bar links, separate ball joint mounts, .

Raise rear rear axle, disconnect rear brake cable , etc. etc. etc.

Sounds simple, but involves a LOT of time to learn if you never did one.

Then recheck all bolts a week later. Very time consuming.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:16 PM   #8
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
In addition, if you've never worked with a spring compressor I would take your shocks, springs and spacer to a shop and have them install it for you. Working with spring compressors is not a simple task, you could lose a finger, an eye or hurt someone else in the vicinity, no joke. A loaded spring is a dangerous thing.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:21 PM   #9
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I forgot to mention; If you get a kit from Toytec, they send detailed instructions with pictures with every order. Most kit instructions are on their website, too.

I also forgot to add earlier, a floor jack is also necessary.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
Not just a spring compressor, but also remove upper sway bar links, separate ball joint mounts, .

Raise rear rear axle, disconnect rear brake cable , etc. etc. etc.

Sounds simple, but involves a lot of time to learn if you never did one.

Then recheck all bolts a week later. Very time consuming.
What!? You dont need to separate ball joint mounts. Or disconnect rear break cable, ets., etc., .
I think you did WAY to much work to install a simple lift.
Removeing the front is a simple process:
Jack up truck and support with stands
Remove wheel and tire
Disco. Sway bar
Remove 3 bolts on top of shock/spring leaveing the center bolt.
Remove single bolt on the bottom,
Pull assembly out.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:29 PM   #11
Bourbon

Quote:
What!? You dont need to separate ball joint mounts. Or disconnect rear break cable, ets., etc., .
Remove wheel and tire
Disco. Sway bar
Pull assembly out.
Yup. That's what I did as well.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:41 PM   #12
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Wink

Quote:
Remove wheel and tire
Disco. Sway bar
Pull assembly out.

So you're saying not to do those very things that the Toytec instructions specifically say to do?

To take short cuts right?

Because the things that I mentioned are on the instructions from Toytec among about forty other little things to do that don't just involve needing a spring compressor and some metric tools.

As long as you say you're advocating deviating from the instructions, I'm OK with your statements as your opinion.

I am, on the other hand am merely quoting from the instructions directly and am of the school, "If it don't work, read the instructions".

Again, if you say that your method is your personal way of doing it, I'm OK with people expressing their opinions. But, since Im not an expert, I can only go by what the maker tells me to do.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:51 PM   #13
Bourbon

Quote:
So you're saying not to do those very things that the Toytec instructions specifically say to do?

To take short cuts right?...

As long as you say you're advocating deviating from the instructions, I'm OK with your statements as your opinion.

I am, on the other hand am merely quoting from the instructions directly and am of the school, "If it don't work, read the instructions".
I'm definitely advocating deviating from the instructions.

Mine worked out great while deviating from said instructions.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:33 AM   #14
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EquinsuOcha View Post
I'm definitely advocating deviating from the instructions.

Mine worked out great while deviating from said instructions.

Hey, I'm cool with that. If that does the same thing faster and easier than what I went through, then good on you.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:43 AM   #15
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
If you're putting a spacer in the front - you might wanna take the coil assembly to a shop and have them compress the springs to put the spacer in. The amount of preload on that spring can be down-right dangerous with a manual spring compressor. I've used a couple different spring compressors at home for spacer lifts and both of them couldn't handle the preload.

If you're changing out coils only - that's easily done with a home compressor.

I'm not sure if this still applies to the 05+ trucks or not...but when you're putting stuff back together, this is how the old trucks had to be lined up. If you didnt' get this right - it won't install in the truck.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:53 AM   #16

Quote:

To take short cuts right?

Because the things that I mentioned are on the instructions from Toytec among about forty other little things to do that don't just involve needing a spring compressor and some metric tools.

Again, if you say that your method is your personal way of doing it, I'm OK with people expressing their opinions. But, since Im not an expert, I can only go by what the maker tells me to do.
I have never used instructions to install a lift. After removeing a dozen or so front springs from Tacomas, I have never found it nesessary to remove more than what I mentioned above.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:55 AM   #17

If you are getting the OME springs instead of the spacer, take the assembly to a shop and have them install the springs for you. OME springs are a little thicker than stock, and some people have had problems removeing the compressor from the assembled unit. Plus, as mentioned by others, its safer.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:40 PM   #18
Redneck from the hills
cbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
cbcs1987's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you are getting the OME springs instead of the spacer, take the assembly to a shop and have them install the springs for you. OME springs are a little thicker than stock, and some people have had problems removeing the compressor from the assembled unit. Plus, as mentioned by others, its safer.
sorry to bring back an old thread, but im fixin to get this lift and install it myself. I've done suspension work before, but I'm thinkin about takin the coil n everything to a shop to have it done. What is an average cost for them to assemble the shock, spring, and spacer?
Old 12-21-2008, 06:56 PM   #19
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcs1987 View Post
sorry to bring back an old thread, but im fixin to get this lift and install it myself. I've done suspension work before, but I'm thinkin about takin the coil n everything to a shop to have it done. What is an average cost for them to assemble the shock, spring, and spacer?
I had my Readylift spacer installed for $100. Same mechanic will install Coilovers, UCA, rear leaf pack, and rear shock for $400.

I will save that money for Mods and do it myself. Gunna use a lift bay, and power tools. Should be a fun time.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:15 PM   #20
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcs1987 View Post
I took my new coils and 5100s to a garage and they charged me $40 ($20/side) to assemble the coilover. Then I just took the stock coilover off and bolted in the new one.

Very easy!