Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

4" RCD Lift with OME 886 Coils probblems

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-25-2010, 10:53 PM   #41
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
solus's Avatar
Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
Joined: Aug 2009, #20487
Location: Bremerton, WA
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,852
solus's Tacoma Gallery
08pretaco...not you...jr114
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:54 PM   #42
Senior Member
jr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
Joined: Nov 2009, #26147
Location: SoCal
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,184
jr114's Tacoma Gallery
wow someones aggro. not spreading false info and not stating to know for sure. i just posted some info that i had. you get the 4.5" of lift through the spindle. thats why they replace it. then why do the 5100s that i had have the rcd logo on there stating that they were made for use with the rcd kit? relax. were all here talking sharing info trying to figure things out. thats what this forum is for. and why would bilstein use rcd for distribution of a shock? pretty sure they dont need rcds help theyre big enough on their own. if theres something im completely missing, then thats fine please inform me. but dont get all aggro trying to make it seem like were spreading "false" info on purpose. did you read all of the posts and see the ideas and theories that were thrown out or did you just see what you wanted to and rant?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:54 PM   #43
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
08pretaco's Avatar
Name: Oliver
Joined: Sep 2008, #9502
Location: az
Age: 25
Gender: Dude
Posts: 9,166
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Oh haha cause you included me in the quotes I wasnt yelling at you either just felt like using BIG LETTERS LOL
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:58 PM   #44
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
solus's Avatar
Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
Joined: Aug 2009, #20487
Location: Bremerton, WA
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,852
solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr114 View Post
wow someones aggro. not spreading false info and not stating to know for sure. i just posted some info that i had. you get the 4.5" of lift through the spindle. thats why they replace it. then why do the 5100s that i had have the rcd logo on there stating that they were made for use with the rcd kit? relax. were all here talking sharing info trying to figure things out. thats what this forum is for. and why would bilstein use rcd for distribution of a shock? pretty sure they dont need rcds help theyre big enough on their own. if theres something im completely missing, then thats fine please inform me. but dont get all aggro trying to make it seem like were spreading "false" info on purpose. did you read all of the posts and see the ideas and theories that were thrown out or did you just see what you wanted to and rant?
two different kits man... the bilsteins with the drop bracket kit is not adjustable and longer than the RCD bilstein shocks you have... thats a fact, don't know why its RCD and Bilstein... but I'm sure it has to do with design/ownership etc... but that doesn't matter.

The Bilstein 5100 shock on the RCD drop bracket kit is NOT adjustable

edit: I think RCD is Bilstein or Bilstein is RCD or RCD contracts with Bilstein to provide shocks... maybe they are a distributor, but their site say bilstein shock experts
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:02 PM   #45
Senior Member
jr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
Joined: Nov 2009, #26147
Location: SoCal
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,184
jr114's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by solus694 View Post
two different kits man... the rcds with the drop bracket kit is not adjustable and longer than the RCD bilstein shocks you have... thats a fact, don't know why its RCD and Bilstein... but I'm sure it has to do with design/ownership etc... but that doesn't matter.

The Bilstein 5100 shock on the RCD drop bracket kit is NOT adjustable

edit: I think RCD is Bilstein or Bilstein is RCD
thanks for the info. i was not trying to distribute improper info, just thought id share with what limited info i had. i assumed that cause the shocks were stamped with rcd that they were for the kit. but hey to assume makes an ass out of u n me. well mainly me in this case. haha..thanks again for setting me straight
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:05 PM   #46
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
solus's Avatar
Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
Joined: Aug 2009, #20487
Location: Bremerton, WA
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,852
solus's Tacoma Gallery
to the OP

the problem is clearly that you have too much lift for the RCD to handle... the kit doesn't drop the diff far enough to get 6+" of height without affecting cvs you need to either

1. get softer springs (884s, eibach 1.6s, etc)
2. get stock springs and lose the bumper (or accept lower height)
3. lose the rcd kit, 886s and get a 6" db kit

otherwise you're gonna eat your cv pretty damn quick
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:52 AM   #47
Catron [OP] Catron is offline
Junior Member
Catron is on a distinguished road
Joined: Oct 2010, #45192
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 11
Catron's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks all. I really appreciate the input. The height should be ok as it would be 2.25" over stock since the RCD lift puts all the angles back to stock. Even so, I feel its too high. I plan on having the stock coils put back on Friday. I will probably go with the 1.6 eibach coils and rear 1.5 springs. Unless anyone know where to get stiffer stock size coils?

Thanks again for the information and help!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:39 PM   #48
Catron [OP] Catron is offline
Junior Member
Catron is on a distinguished road
Joined: Oct 2010, #45192
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 11
Catron's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr114 View Post
what? i think it is. first of all every lift has a statement somewhere on there stating not to combine lifts. thats where my thought about going back to the stock spring comes in to play. i think the bumper looks like crap so thats where the first part of my statement comes into play. and by getting rid of the bumper you ditch some of the extra weight therefore not needing a heavier rated spring. just my opinion tho
Its okay you don't like the bumper. Personally, I think its wicked bad ass and the last thing I will do is take it off. It is completely custom and will run over a ton of stuff! I was simply looking for help on the front lift while utilizing the bumper.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:43 PM   #50
Catron [OP] Catron is offline
Junior Member
Catron is on a distinguished road
Joined: Oct 2010, #45192
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 11
Catron's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahshiet View Post
Yeah u gonna have a cv boot blow I learned the hard way
Luckily I'm not driving it right now and will have the factory springs back on till I can figure something else out.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:47 PM   #51
Senior Member
jr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
Joined: Nov 2009, #26147
Location: SoCal
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,184
jr114's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catron View Post
Its okay you don't like the bumper. Personally, I think its wicked bad ass and the last thing I will do is take it off. It is completely custom and will run over a ton of stuff! I was simply looking for help on the front lift while utilizing the bumper.
and thats totally cool. our trucks are an extension of our personalities. the only thing i can think of that may help the front end problem is to try a different spring. remember the 885 is designed to give roughly 3" of lift on their own. try a different spring rate, 883, 884, eibach? one of those may be the right combo your looking for.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:37 PM   #52
Junior Member
Chewy is on a distinguished road
Joined: Oct 2010, #44613
Location: MT
Gender: Male
Posts: 9
Chewy's Tacoma Gallery
Catron here are a couple links that might help.

1st is a chart for the various OEM springs. It gives you load rates and lengths. For the Billies it appears springs 883, 884, 885, & 886 will work. From the chart you will see 883, 884, & 885 all have the same spring rate just different lengths. Keep in mind the stock spring is 14 inches long and I believe a spring rate that is 40 pounds less than the 883/884/885, individually, so 80 pounds total.

http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/tech_OME_coils.html

2nd link will help you convert mm's to inches.
883's are 14.76 inches.

http://mg-jewelry.com/mmtoinches.html

I can't remember the exact numbers but I believe the Eibach is approximately 1.5 inches longer then stock and has a 30 pound heavier spring rate than the 883, 884 & 885. (based on your last comment you may have found that information in a quick search).

Based on the size of your bumper the eibach might be your best option or 884’s may work also. Also whatever spring you do use, will probably settle a bit, but the 885's and 886's still might be too much lift.

Another issue is will/if the RCD drop kit billies can handle the extra spring rate, but it seems like a lot of guys have luck using them with the 5100's so if they are built the same you should be ok. Obviously that is just a hunch; I have not formally questioned or researched if there are any internal structural differences between the two shocks. Might be worth a quick email to Bilstein, if they are willing to answer your question.

I really like where your heads at; I spent a ton of time researching this exact scenario over the weekend. Thinking about running the RCD kit with an aftermarket bumper also (although not nearly as heavy as yours) and I do not think the stock springs will handle the extra weight. For my situation I’m trying to decide if the 883s or 884s would be better.

The bumper looks awesome and to each his own. Keep rocking it!!!

Please, please, keep us posted on what you end up doing and the results. I know others would enjoy a full report – ride quality (stiff/smooth/spongy), any vibes, drive habits, etc.

Wow some of you guys on here get a little excited…….relax and drink a damn beer (or two)!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:54 PM   #53
Junior Member
Chewy is on a distinguished road
Joined: Oct 2010, #44613
Location: MT
Gender: Male
Posts: 9
Chewy's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Catron a couple quick questions.

What is the cover on your rock panels, bed liner? Also what size wheels and tires are you running?

Thanks bud and best of luck on your project.

Again please keep us posted!!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:03 AM   #54
Catron [OP] Catron is offline
Junior Member
Catron is on a distinguished road
Joined: Oct 2010, #45192
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 11
Catron's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Hey Catron a couple quick questions.

What is the cover on your rock panels, bed liner? Also what size wheels and tires are you running?

Thanks bud and best of luck on your project.

Again please keep us posted!!!!
Its bedliner on the rockers. Wheels are 17x8.5 -6 offset 4.5 backspace. Dale Earnhardt Jr. Cannon wheels. They make two exact wheels with similar measurements. One for chevy and one for toyota. They are not interchangeable. Tires are 285/70/17. I kept the tires simple for the first run and will go a bit bigger next time

Thanks again everyone for the great input! I will post more pics and info when I get it right.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:13 PM   #55
Member
benq is on a distinguished road
Army: Prior Army Reservist, Amphibious Operator
Joined: Sep 2010, #43244
Location: Surprise, AZ
Gender: Male
Posts: 31
benq's Tacoma Gallery
@Catron Thanks for taking the time to post. It really helps newbees like myself who are considering any lift kit. The responses are great too. There are some things I don't mind not learning firsthand.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:25 AM   #56
Catron [OP] Catron is offline
Junior Member
Catron is on a distinguished road
Joined: Oct 2010, #45192
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 11
Catron's Tacoma Gallery
New Question

Ok, the stock coils will be back on in the morning. I have a question about correcting the front end sag.

Two options (not removing the front bumper so that is not an option )

1. Stack the lift with new Eibach 1.6" coils and add a leaf 1.5" in the rear. The front end will end up being slightly lower (only slightly with the added weight) than the rear. This will also add a little height to the front and rear.

2. Add a 1/4" top spacer to the factory coil. This should give me 1/2" on the front end to help the sag. It will still be slightly (only slightly) lower than the rear.

My third option is dead since I have been unable to find heavy duty stock size coils.

What are your thoughts?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:16 PM   #57
LIVE TO FLY
Kdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Kdawwwg's Avatar
Name: Ken
Joined: Apr 2010, #34518
Location: Draper,Utah
Gender: Male
Posts: 139
Kdawwwg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catron View Post
Ok, the stock coils will be back on in the morning. I have a question about correcting the front end sag.

Two options (not removing the front bumper so that is not an option )

1. Stack the lift with new Eibach 1.6" coils and add a leaf 1.5" in the rear. The front end will end up being slightly lower (only slightly with the added weight) than the rear. This will also add a little height to the front and rear.

2. Add a 1/4" top spacer to the factory coil. This should give me 1/2" on the front end to help the sag. It will still be slightly (only slightly) lower than the rear.

My third option is dead since I have been unable to find heavy duty stock size coils.

What are your thoughts?
#4 OPTION :i added 1/4 plus 3/8 top spacers on driver, 3/8 top spacer on passenger, stock sport spring,got almost 1" with that combo,an no more taco lean
i would say you can add up to 3/4 of spacer an still have good CV angles
keep the stock spring, as this kit RIDES so smooth
REMEMBER the more you lift,the available down travel you take away
as i just installed limiting straps on mine i know i have 2 1/2 inch's of down travel[which is still good,keeps the ride smooth,no harsh bumps] if you have aftermarket uca[like light racing] that don't have stops built in ,your ball joint will droop in to your spring ,an CV boot will hit lower control arm[at least on mine it did],straps fixed this[rcd said they do not use the shock to stop droop]
good luck
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:01 AM   #58
Catron [OP] Catron is offline
Junior Member
Catron is on a distinguished road
Joined: Oct 2010, #45192
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 11
Catron's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdawwwg View Post
#4 OPTION :i added 1/4 plus 3/8 top spacers on driver, 3/8 top spacer on passenger, stock sport spring,got almost 1" with that combo,an no more taco lean
i would say you can add up to 3/4 of spacer an still have good CV angles
keep the stock spring, as this kit RIDES so smooth
REMEMBER the more you lift,the available down travel you take away
as i just installed limiting straps on mine i know i have 2 1/2 inch's of down travel[which is still good,keeps the ride smooth,no harsh bumps] if you have aftermarket uca[like light racing] that don't have stops built in ,your ball joint will droop in to your spring ,an CV boot will hit lower control arm[at least on mine it did],straps fixed this[rcd said they do not use the shock to stop droop]
good luck

Kdawwg, You currently have the RCD lift on your truck? What was causing your front end droop, aftermarket bumper?

Did you use any additional lift in the rear?

Wouldn't the Eibach coils take care of everything in the right way? Providing a bit more lift and support in the front while upgrading the factory TRD shocks?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #59
Senior Member
SuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
SuthrnTaco07's Avatar
Name: Kyle
Joined: Jul 2009, #20053
Location: Huntsville, AL
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,781
SuthrnTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
So you can't see it in this picture but what UCA's would you recommend or use in order to get my camber right? I ran into this same problem and now I'm in this boat..
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #60
Senior Member
SuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
SuthrnTaco07's Avatar
Name: Kyle
Joined: Jul 2009, #20053
Location: Huntsville, AL
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,781
SuthrnTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Catron here are a couple links that might help.

1st is a chart for the various OEM springs. It gives you load rates and lengths. For the Billies it appears springs 883, 884, 885, & 886 will work. From the chart you will see 883, 884, & 885 all have the same spring rate just different lengths. Keep in mind the stock spring is 14 inches long and I believe a spring rate that is 40 pounds less than the 883/884/885, individually, so 80 pounds total.

http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/tech_OME_coils.html

2nd link will help you convert mm's to inches.
883's are 14.76 inches.

http://mg-jewelry.com/mmtoinches.html

I can't remember the exact numbers but I believe the Eibach is approximately 1.5 inches longer then stock and has a 30 pound heavier spring rate than the 883, 884 & 885. (based on your last comment you may have found that information in a quick search).

Based on the size of your bumper the eibach might be your best option or 884’s may work also. Also whatever spring you do use, will probably settle a bit, but the 885's and 886's still might be too much lift.

Another issue is will/if the RCD drop kit billies can handle the extra spring rate, but it seems like a lot of guys have luck using them with the 5100's so if they are built the same you should be ok. Obviously that is just a hunch; I have not formally questioned or researched if there are any internal structural differences between the two shocks. Might be worth a quick email to Bilstein, if they are willing to answer your question.

I really like where your heads at; I spent a ton of time researching this exact scenario over the weekend. Thinking about running the RCD kit with an aftermarket bumper also (although not nearly as heavy as yours) and I do not think the stock springs will handle the extra weight. For my situation I’m trying to decide if the 883s or 884s would be better.

The bumper looks awesome and to each his own. Keep rocking it!!!

Please, please, keep us posted on what you end up doing and the results. I know others would enjoy a full report – ride quality (stiff/smooth/spongy), any vibes, drive habits, etc.

Wow some of you guys on here get a little excited…….relax and drink a damn beer (or two)!!

So I did something similar with the ProComp 6" lift and the RCD 4.5" lift Shocks. Started with the 886's and the wrong UCA's.. My ride was too stiff and was sitting at just over 46" from ground to fender with worn out 35's.. now I bought the 884's and had it aligned and now I have AMAZING ride quality and 42" same measurement on driver side.. So I added a 2" top plate spacer on top of the coil over not to loose ride quality and now i'm sitting back at 46"!!! WTF!! What do I do!? I'm hoping that after alignment everything will be PERFECT but we'll see!
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OME 885, 886, or eibach coils Mickdizzle 2nd Gen. Tacomas 22 01-08-2012 03:47 AM
WTB: 886 OME Coils tacomtn 2nd Gen Tacoma Marketplace 0 10-16-2011 01:45 AM
2" or 3" Lift from OME 886 Lift-Kit??? Garftore Suspension 12 08-11-2011 07:27 AM
WTT: My OME 885 coils for 886's RelentlessTaco Buy / Sell / Trade 8 02-24-2009 06:19 PM
toytec 3" lift coil w/886 coils jamievan Suspension 4 05-18-2008 02:00 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.