Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

5100 Billys installed set at .85

Old 10-25-2010, 06:22 AM   #1
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
5100 Billys installed set at .85

UPS delivered my Billys and my 1/4" Toytec driver's side spacer on Friday so Friday night after my wife and kids went to sleep I decided to do some late night wrenching on my truck.

Install began late at 12:30 am Saturday morning. Everything went smooth. Let the truck down off the jack and the front was up way higher than the rear. Didn't panic yet because it hadn't settled. Drove it down the road. Pretty stiff but not bad. Got out and looked at it again and it was still too high. Took the yard stick that I did my initial measurements with (initial was 34 1/4 on driver's side) and I could not measure because it as higher than 36". It looked like the front was about 4" higher than stock. Checked to make sure I had the C-ring in the correct location and it was. Then it hit me...........I put the freakin spring perch on upside down on both sides. It was 3:00 am at this point and now I had to start over. This time it only took me 1 hour. I felt so stupid. I'm 41 years old and have been wrenching on cars since I was old enough to turn a wrench and I have never done anything this dumb. I never even considered that it was going in upside down when I installed.

Measurements before were 34 1/4 DS, 34 7/8" PS. After measurements are 35 3/4" DS, 36" PS so I gained 1.5" on the DS and 1 1/8" on PS. I love the look now and the drive is great. Not harsh at all. It is more firm but I like it. Rear 1.5" AAL will be next along with raising the front to the 1.75" position.

Edit: After searching the posts I see that I'm not the only dummy that installed the spring perch upside down. That makes me feel a little better.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:39 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I like how you added yourself to the thread of shame! Glad you caught it before you did any real damage. Some guy did that and the collar slid and skinned the shock. He ended up sending them back, not sure if he got them warrantied or not.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:59 AM   #3
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
I should have known when I had to compress the heck out of the spring to get the top bolt started on the new Bilsteins. When I was putting everything together the first time I thought to myself "How is this spring supposed to stay centered on the perch". Duh!
Old 10-25-2010, 03:08 PM   #4
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
so the shocks @ .85 gave you an inch of lift...exactly what I need up front to go with the TSB in the rear.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
Range 44 has a spectacular aura aboutRange 44 has a spectacular aura about

Range 44's Tacoma Gallery
Heres mine @ 1.75 with the tsb, just for comparison. I was gonna go .85 and then changed my mind last minute. Glad I did. It will maintain the factory rake @ .85 and the TSB, and level it @ 1.75. Did all 4 and it rides a ton better than the factory bilsteins.
Attached Thumbnails
5100 Billys installed set at .85-img_1007.jpg   5100 Billys installed set at .85-img_1014.jpg  
Old 10-25-2010, 08:16 PM   #6
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Range 44 View Post
Heres mine @ 1.75 with the tsb, just for comparison. I was gonna go .85 and then changed my mind last minute. Glad I did. It will maintain the factory rake @ .85 and the TSB, and level it @ 1.75. Did all 4 and it rides a ton better than the factory bilsteins.
1st pic looks like factory rake...2nd pic looks nose high...must be camera angles or ground angle?

Nice truck btw.