Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

After much debate..

Old 10-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
allisonguru is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
allisonguru's Tacoma Gallery
After much debate..

I ordered some 5100's today, oh yea! I was tossing around the idea of a strut leveling kit but everyone on here seemed to shine me away from it. So i bought some today, at a sale price of 85.00 a piece. My next question is are they simple enough to do in my garage, then have the trucks aligniment done? I saw the instruction sheet online and they looked really simple. Anyone tried these, anything for me to look out for? Its a prerunner Tacoma, 4x2
Old 10-25-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabian
Fabulous's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...removal-9.html

I did mine myself. Used this thread. Only step I did different was took mine to a shop to have them compress the springs...cost me a case of beer. It's not hard to do, but I recommend you have a buddy help you. I did mine all by myself, and it was a bit frustrating...would have been easier if I had one of my friends help.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
I did mine on my own. Bought a cheap spring compressor from harbor freight and it worked great.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyal View Post
I did mine on my own. Bought a cheap spring compressor from harbor freight and it worked great.
I think ill do the same, stupid question but, you dont have to replace the uca(which i think stands for upper control arm??) do you? I am new to all this, so please be gentle......
Old 10-25-2010, 02:31 PM   #5
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
No you do not unless your going over 3 inches which you cant with just 5100s so your fine.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:50 PM   #6
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Some people require them over 2.5" of lift. I have 2.5" in front and just barely got my alignment in spec. What setting you going with...0.85, 1.75, 2.5?
Old 10-25-2010, 02:56 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
Some people require them over 2.5" of lift. I have 2.5" in front and just barely got my alignment in spec. What setting you going with...0.85, 1.75, 2.5?
Not sure yet, im thinking 2.5?? What are you set at, and what tire you running?
Old 10-25-2010, 03:03 PM   #8

I went a bit different route with my 5100's. I bought a eibach 1.6" lift spring, and set my 5100's at 0.85. Got just over 2.5" of lift up front, and my alignment is 0 toe, 0.4 camber, and 2.0 caster. Driver really nice, but if I went any higher I think UCA's would have been required. I have 265/70-17 Bridgestone Revo's on stock wheels which I had prior to the lift. I just ordered some new wheels, and will be slapping on some Duratrac's when I can snag them for a good deal. Pics are in my gallery if you want to see what 2.5" looks like...
Old 10-25-2010, 03:04 PM   #9

Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
You will be fine at 2.5 just take it some where good to get your alignment done. im at 1.75 but know many who have them at 2.5 with the alignment just fine with no change in UCA.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:08 PM   #10

Indeed. Take before and after measurements as well. I also let mine settle after lifting as it was like 3"-3.25" higher than stock for a couple days...
Old 10-25-2010, 03:34 PM   #11
Quote:
Indeed. Take before and after measurements as well. I also let mine settle after lifting as it was like 3"-3.25" higher than stock for a couple days...
Thanks all! I also was thinking about getting the Bilsteins for the rear as they state that you can adjust from 0-1" Will that work to level the truck, or should i look at a block in the rear springs?
Old 10-25-2010, 03:37 PM   #12

Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Get the TSB AAL for the rear it will level it out. Of course Im being ignorant and assuming you have a 2nd gen..
Old 10-25-2010, 03:46 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyal View Post
Get the TSB AAL for the rear it will level it out. Of course Im being ignorant and assuming you have a 2nd gen..
It is, an 07. I took it back to the dealer for the TSB, and they refused it because it is a 3 year, 36000 mile repair. I explained to them that i am the second owner and the first one never had it done, and they still refused. Its a lift block or maybe a helper spring i guess....
Old 10-25-2010, 03:50 PM   #15

Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Toytec 1.5" AAL...$75.
X2